Lochem is a city of 34,000 people (2019) in the Achterhoek, the region in the east of the Dutch province of Gelderland. It is known for its historical city centre and the Lochemerberg, one of the highest points in the area (49.5 metres).
Lochem is a historical city located by the Berkel river and the Twentekanaal. Ever since 900 there should have been a church with hamlet, as archaeological revealed, which would make Lochem one of the oldest kerspelen(settlement by a church) of the Achterhoek. Lochem has been a city since 1233. The fortifications of Lochem consisted of two moats and a city wall, of which the outer moat has been removed. The city today offers houses dating back to the 1630s.
- 1 VVV Lochem, Markt 2, NL-7241 AA Lochem, ☏ +31 573 251 898.
Lochem is connected to the railway between Zutphen, Enschede and Gronau. The station is found outside of the city centre itself, north of the Twentekanaal, which may cause confusion to tourists arriving by train.
1 Lochem Station can be reached by car by using the A1, and using exit 26 (Lochem), followed by a turn onto the N332 in the direction of Lochem, to which directions will be marked from here on out.
Busses for regional traffic are serviced by Syntus. The cities of Deventer and Borculo can be reached when using line 52, which stops at the train station.
- 1 Huis Verwolde, Jonker Emilelaan 4, NL-7245 TL Laren, ☏ +31 573 401 825, email@example.com. Easter through October: 12:00 - 17:00. Huis Verwolde is a castle with 47 hectares of land around it. The castle can be visited, the former kitchen is a tearoom and the surrounding land can be explored on foot.
- 2 Saint Gudulakerk, Markt 4, NL-7241 AA Lochem.
- 1 Hiking. Though there aren't many mountains to climb near Lochem, the Pieterpad does cross through the municipality, and it has a checkpoint in nearby Laren. The Pieterpad is a long trail, starting in Pieterburen (Frisia), and ending at the Sint-Pietersberg (Limburg).
- 2 Karting Eefde, Elzerdijk 44, Eefde, ☏ +31 575 540 229, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 09:00-21:00.
- 1 Restaurant de Basiliek, Bierstraat 6, NL-7241 AH Lochem, ☏ +31 573 258 082.
- 2 De Eetgalerie, Doctor Rivestraat 8, NL-7241 AS Lochem, ☏ +31 573 255 145.
- 3 't Runderke, Noorderwal 40, NL-7241 BL Lochem, ☏ +31 573 281 663.
- 4 Restaurant Modani, Graaf Ottoweg 6, NL-7241 DG Lochem, ☏ +31 573 257 595.
- 1 Hampsire - Hotel 't Hof van Gelre, Nieuweweg 38, NL-7241 EW Lochem, ☏ +31 573 253 351.
- 2 Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant De Scheperskamp, Paasberg 3, NL-7241 JR Lochem, ☏ +31 573 254 051. €85.
- 3 Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Paasberg, Paasberg 2, NL-7241 JR Lochem, ☏ +31 573 254 751. €85.
- 4 Hotel BonAparte Lochem, Lochemseweg 37, NL-7244 RR Barchem, ☏ +31 573 298 900. €88.
- 5 Hotel de Lochemse Berg, Lochemseweg 42, NL-7244 RS Barchem, ☏ +31 573 251 377. €83.
- 6 Hotel/B&B De Vijverhof, Marinus Naefflaan 11, NL-7241 GC Lochem, ☏ +31 573 251 024.
- 7 EuroParcs Resort De Achterhoek, Ploegdijk 2, NL-7241 SC Lochem, toll-free: +31 880 708 090. €67.
From Lochem, many larger cities are close by. Within the Achterhoek, these are Zutphen, a former Hanzestad and Doetinchem, the de facto capital of the Achterhoek. Another nearby location is the municipality of Oost Gelre with the towns of Groenlo, known most for the Zwarte Cross event, which is the largest motocross event of Europe, and Lichtenvoorde, which has the largest flower parade of Europe. Alternatively, the Twentse cities of Deventer, Enschede and Hengelo are nearby as well.
|Routes through Lochem|
|Pieterburen ← Groningen ←||N S||→ Doetinchem → Maastricht|
|Zutphen ← Warnsveld ←||W E||→ Goor → Hengelo|
|Deventer ← Epse ←||W E||→ END|
|Zutphen ← Eefde ←||W E||→ Hengelo → Enschede|