unincorporated town in Nova Scotia, Canada

Louisbourg is a village of 1,000 people (2011) on the south-east coast of Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia.

UnderstandEdit

 
Louisbourg harbour

Louisbourg's harbour had been used by European mariners since at least the 1590s (as English Port, Havre à l'Anglois); the Fortress of Louisbourg was built by France in 1713, captured by England in 1758 and demolished in 1760. A small fishing village across the harbour from the abandoned fortress accommodated Loyalist settlers in the 1780s. In 1894, the Sydney and Louisburg Railway brought winter coal exports to Louisbourg Harbour's ice-free port. The Town of Louisbourg was incorporated in 1901 and merged into a single tier regional municipality in 1995; the efforts to restore the historic fortress as a pioneer village museum date to the 1960s.

Get inEdit

Louisbourg is 40 km from Sydney along Highway 22, which is the main road in and out of town.

The nearest airport is in Sydney.

The railway no longer runs here.

Get aroundEdit

 
Map of Louisbourg

SeeEdit

 
The fortifications of Louisbourg
  • 1 Fortress of Louisbourg, 259 Park Service Rd, +1 902 733-2280. 1 May-30 Jun: 9:30AM-5PM; 1 Jul-31 Aug: 9AM-5PM; 1 Sep-15 Oct: 9:30AM-5PM; closed 1 Nov-3 Apr. Louisbourg. This is a reconstruction of the 18th-century fortified French town whose presence plagued the British colonies of New England. Its busy harbour was once one of France's most signifiant economic and military assets in North America. If you enjoy the colonial restoration at Williamsburg in the United States, don't miss Louisbourg.    
  • Louisbourg Playhouse, 11 Aberdeen St (Aberdeen & Commercial St), +1 902 733-2996, . Local entertainment venue with nightly shows (theatre, music, comedy) throughout the summer.
  • 2 S&L Railway Museum, Louisburg Station, 7330 Main St (Route 22), +1 902 733-2720. Mid-May to mid-Oct: daily 9AM-5PM; July and August: daily 8AM-8PM. Small museum includes an 1895 Sydney & Louisbourg Railway station and engine house, visitor information, quilt displays, vintage passenger and freight cars. Coal used to be hauled here by rail, then transferred to ships. By donation.
 
Louisbourg Lighthouse
  • 3 Louisbourg Lighthouse, 555 Havenside Road. The first lighthouse in Canada was built here in 1734. This is the fourth one. There is a trail for walking along the picturesque, rocky coastline. Dress for wind.    

DoEdit

  • Louisbourg Boardwalk Park, 30 Harbourfront Cres, near the Louisbourg Harbur. Great view of the harbour, panels about the history of Louisbourg.
  • Kennington Cove Beach (about 5 km past the fortress along a gravel road). Clean, sandy beach. Not crowded. Be careful of currents.

BuyEdit

EatEdit

DrinkEdit

SleepEdit

ConnectEdit

Go nextEdit

Routes through Louisbourg
Sydney ← Jct   N  N   S  END


This city travel guide to Louisbourg is a usable article. It has information on how to get there and on restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please feel free to improve it by editing the page.