Machida, a major stop on the Odakyu line, is served by nearly all Odakyu trains out of Shinjuku. The fastest ways to reach Machida from Shinjuku are by the Odakyu Rapid Express (快速急行, marked with orange text) and Express trains (急行, written in red text). These trains depart frequently, every 10 minutes or less, and reach Machida from Shinjuku in about 29 to 35 minutes (¥360). Slower Semi-Express (準急) or local trains can take about 45 to 55 minutes. Machida is also the first stop on all Limited Express services that run to Hakone. They take about the same time as a Rapid Express, but incur an additional ¥400 surcharge. However, for that price you get your own comfortable seat, similar to those on a bullet train, so reserving a seat on this train especially during rush hour can make your ride a lot more pleasant.
JR Yokohama Line trains make runs to Machida from Hachioji (20-30 minutes, ¥290) and Yokohama (30-40 minutes, ¥380). More frequent trains from Yokohama depart from nearby Higashi-Kanagawa (東神奈川) station.
The Yokohama Line offers the best connection from the Tokaido Shinkansen to Machida via Shin-Yokohama station (15-20 minutes, ¥290).
There is no charge for JR trains with the Japan Rail Pass.
Kanachu and Keio bus companies jointly offer daily services to Machida from Narita and Haneda airports. (There is only one service, depending on the time of the day, you may get Kanachu or Keio service.)
- 1 Furusato Museum of Agricultural Tools (町田市ふるさと農具館), 2288 Nozuta-machi (7 minutes from Machida Station.), ☏ . Various farming equipment and agricultural tools on display. People of older generations are hopeful that their younger successors will carry on their farming traditions, hence this museum was built. The museum has a nice atmosphere.
- 2 Machida Chuo Library (町田市立中央図書館), 3-2-9 Haramachida, ☏ . It's a big library, so if you are looking for some books, you might find it here as it has a wide selection.
- Machida Eisa Festival (On Haramachida Odori just outside JR Machida Station.). Sep. This is an Okinawan folk dance festival held annually. Many Eisa teams come to Machida. There are 23 pairs. The festival is very lively and fun, and various food items can be purchased from small stalls around the area.
- 3 Machida Squirrel Garden (まちだリス園), 7-3-3 Kanaimachi, ☏ . W-M; Mar 16-Oct 15 10AM-5PM; Oct 16-Mar 15 10AM-4PM; Dec 1-26 10AM-3PM; closed Dec 27-Jan 2; closed first Tu-F in Jun, Sep, and Dec. A park with about 100 squirrels. Guests can get close to the squirrels, play with them, and give them food. Squirrel feed can be purchased for ¥100. Adults ¥400, children age 3-12 ¥200.
- 4 Yakushiike Park (薬師池公園), 3270 Nozuta Town, ☏ . 6AM-6PM daily. Enjoy the flowers.
- Bee, Haradamachida 6-10-7 5F. M-F 5PM-5AM, Sa-Su 3PM-5AM. A dining establishment with darts, card games, and board games. A nice place to have a party with friends.
- Mangakissa Geragera, Haramachida 6-10-10 B1F (2 minutes from Odakyu Machida Station and JR Yokohama Machida Station), ☏ . Read books, manga, and magazines. M-F 30 min ¥180, Sa-Su 30 min ¥220.
- Neko-no-mise, Haramachida. noon-10PM daily. A cafe with a twist — there are cats running around that you can play with. Great if you want to play with cats but not raise one long-term.
- Round 1, 1-13-14 Morino, ☏ . M-F 10AM-6AM, Sa 9AM-6AM, Su 8AM-6AM. This place has a wide assortment of games, including bowling, karaoke, billiards, and many arcade games.
- Sugawara Shrine, 802 Haramachida (Climb a long flight of stairs to get to the shrine.). People worship the god of learning, Sugawara, at this shrine. In Heian period, Sahara was a scholar.
- Track and Field Place, 2035 Nozutamachi (In Nozuta Park). Holds 6,200 people. Many soccer games and university contests are held here. ¥300.
- 1 FLAVA, 原町田2-7-3 トップヒルB1F. Live rock music, DJ live sets and dance performances throughout the week. Depends on the event (normally includes 1 drink).
- 2 The Play House, 中町１丁目１８−１５ クローヴビル1F. Live house in Machida. Schedule can be accessed on their website. It is also a music school during weekdays. Normally between 1,100 and 2,000 (ADV, drink(s) included).
- 3 West Vox, 森野 1-8-1 MOAビル B1. Live music and club, depending on the day. Depends on the event.
- Big Echo, Building Machida 4F, 6-7-8 Haramachida Machida city Tokyo, ☏ . M-Th, Su noon-4:45AM; F-Sa noon-6AM.
- Karaoke Kan, 6-21-28 Haramachida, ☏ . 11AM-5PM.
- Karaoke no Tetsujin, Colombus Building 3&4F, 4-11-14 Haramachida, ☏ . AM-6AM.
Fashion Stores include: 109, Jorna, Lumine, OIOI, Modi, Tokyu Twins and so on. These are all located near Machida station on both the Yokohama and Odakyu lines.
- 109, 6-8-1 Haramachida (A 1 minute walk from JR Machida Station, 3 minutes from Odakyu Machida Station.), ☏ . 10AM-11PM. A slightly smaller branch of the famous women's shopping paradise found in Shibuya. It includes clothes, dresses, sundries, small articles, accessories, shoe stores, restaurants, a book store, a large HMV CD/DVD store, cosmetics, a hair salon, beauty salon, print club and more. Popular amongst teenagers and stylish young women. The Indian restaurant on the 5th floor is highly recommended.
- Book-Off, 4-4-8 Haramachida, ☏ . Second-hand shop including comic books, CDs, games, and more. If you are studying Japanese, comic books are helpful.
- Daiso Giga Machida, 3-2-8 Haramachida, Machida-shi, ☏ . This is one of the biggest 100-yen shops in all of Japan. There are 5 floors containing all kinds of things, from snack foods, kitchenware, Japanese-style pottery and dishes, stationery, clothing, art and craft supplies, hardware goods, electronic and PC supplies, A/V cables, books and souvenirs, most of which sell for only ¥100. The sheer volume and variety of things available here is simply astonishing.
- Don Quijote, 4-2-14 Haramachida, Machida-shi, Tokyo, ☏ . Open until 5AM. Popular chain of discount shops found all across Japan. Great selection and wide range of merchandise from groceries to electronics to designer handbags, at really low prices.
- Grandberry Mall, 3-4-1 Tsuruma (A one minute walk from Minami-Machida Station.), ☏ . 10AM-8PM. This is a big outlet shopping mall. You can buy clothes, shoes and so on at cheap prices. There are some stores from foreign countries such as Coldstone Creamery ice cream, but you can also find Japanese brand clothes. There are also many restaurants and an indoor food court. You can eat Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian and so on. The mall also has a movie theater called 109 Cinemas. On weekends, the mall is always crowded with many people and you can even see some street performers. Grandberry Mall is a good place not only for shopping but also for walking. On weekends, many people come to show their pets to other people and have fun talking about pets. You can also rent dogs to walk (no joke). Some of the neighboring areas are sometimes used as filming locations for Japanese TV dramas.
- Lumine, 6-1-11 Haramachida (A one minute walk from JR Machida Station and 3 minutes from Odakyu Machida Station), ☏ . 10AM-10PM. A big department store that includes clothes, dresses, sundries, small articles, accessories, shoes, a restaurant, a book store, a CD/DVD store, cosmetics, a hair salon and more.
- Mina, 4-1-17 Haramachida, ☏ . 10AM-9PM daily. There is a very large UNI-QLO store if you need to pick up any cheap clothing during your travels. Also, there are cafes and knick-knack stores.
- Amataro (甘太郎), 4-11 Haramachida (Columbus building 5F), ☏ . It's Japanese bar. Some are traditional Japanese food, but others are modern Japanese or Italian food.
- Cafe Nakanoya, 4-11-6 Haramachida (10 mins. from Machida Station.), ☏ . Awesome ice cream sundaes. Special sundaes are made according to season. In fall, its pumpkin, sweet potato, and chestnut. In summer, its watermelon.
- Gohan (ゴハン), TN Square 3F, 6-9-18 Haramachida (across the street from 109 building, above TGI Friday's.), ☏ . Trendy Japanese dining bar. With good food (fusion style) and drinks, reasonable pricing, and a lively atmosphere, this is a popular spot for young people.
- Hokkaido Ramen Oyaji, 1-19-1 Nakamachi (Near the Machida City Hall, a short walk from Machida Station.), ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-3:30PM, 5:30PM-11:30PM; Sa-Su 11:30AM-11PM. This is a famous and very tasty Hokkaido-style miso ramen shop. The "Oyaji Set" is notable. Ramen and gyoza ¥1100.
- Kurogane, 1-18-2 Nakamachi, ☏ . Th-Tu 11AM-11PM. This shop does gyoza in abundance. Gyoza ¥250, beer ¥450.
- Ice Cream Factory Latte ラッテ, Tokyo Machida-shi Aihara city 2567 (A ten-minute bus ride from Aihara Station.), ☏ . 10:00-19:00. A gelato shop with many flavors, including milk, green tea, purple sweet potato, and green soybean.
- Ichiban Ichiban (一番一番), 1-28-24 Nakamachi, ☏ . Good ramen. ¥800-1000.
- Koshinbou, Tokyo Machida-shi Haramachida 4-1-1, ☏ . This is a famous ramen restaurant. (800円-1,000円)..
- La Pausa, 2F 6-3-11 Haramachida, ☏ . 11AM-11PM. An Italian restaurant with delicious food and generous portions.
- Onyasai alt=しゃぶしゃぶ温野菜, Tokyo Machida Haramachida4-11-14 B1, ☏ . 5PM-midnight. All you can eat shabu-shabu and sukiyaki. Ninety minutes of greatness. ¥2480-3280.
- Ramen Yu-ga,, renga house1F 982 kanamori,Machida,Tokyo, ☏ . Tuesday～Friday 11:30～15:00,17:30～24:00,Saturday,Sunday and Holiday,11:30～24:00.. 800～850円..
- Shouyou Sennchin Manjyu (In the Nakamise Shopping Arcade, a five minutes walk from Machida Station.). Serves Chinese steamed dumplings (shoronpo) Four pieces for ¥340, five pieces for ¥510.
- Sweets Paradise, Machida Modi 9F,6-2-6, Haramachida, Machida, Tokyo, ☏ . 11AM-11PM. A large variety of desserts. Adults ¥1480, children ¥840.
- T.G.I. Friday's, 2F 6-9-18, Haramachida, Machida, Tokyo, ☏ . 11AM-midnight. The famous American restaurant chain, one of a few locations in the Tokyo area. This is a great place to have lunch, or some after-work happy hour drinks (half-price on weekdays between 4 and 7PM). Staff are friendly, and the place has a lively atmosphere. ¥1000 and up.
- Yakitori Dokoro Gecchu (やきとり処 月忠), Haramachida 3-9-1, ☏ . W-M 5PM-11PM. A yakitori restaurant. All the clerks are friendly and nice. They serve good yakitori and sake.
- Hub (Next to Matsumoto Kiyoshi, just outside Odakyu Machida Station's east exit.). A branch of the popular chain of English pubs found all around Tokyo and other urban centers across Japan. Lively atmosphere especially on weekends. Reasonably priced drinks along with a decent selection of British pub fare, as well as darts, and TVs showing sporting events.
- Mogura, River west Building, 1-13-22 Morino, ☏ . M-Sa 6PM-3AM, Su 6PM-2AM. A underground and comfortable drinking establishment.
- Nijyu-Maru, 3F Haramachida 6-10-10, ☏ . 5PM-midnight. This is a cheap izakaya. Drinks ¥500.
- Bowl, JK Building 5F, 4-15-12 Haramachida, ☏ . Tu-Sa 7PM-5AM, Su 6PM-2AM. Try the okayu, a kind of Japanese rice porridge. The sink in the restroom is quite interesting, check it out. Drinks ¥500.
- 1 Hotel the Ellcy (ホテル ザ・エルシィ), 3-2-9 Haramachida (Seven minutes from Odakyu Machida Station.), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. This is the high-end option for hotels in the Machida station area. Doubles ¥12,700, doubles w/ dinner ¥16,700, twins ¥16,700, twins w/ dinner ¥20,700, parking ¥1000.
- 2 Hotel Shinjukuya (ホテル新宿屋), Haramachida 6 (Near the East exit of Odakyu Machida station, right in front of MOS Burger.), ☏ . Very affordable, good condition, and surrounded by plenty of options for shopping, dining, and drinking. rooms from about 6500 yen per night.
- 3 Sun Hotel (サンホテル), Haramachida 6 (Located near the Covent Garden Bar), ☏ . The cheapest hotel in the Machida Station area, and rightfully so. This business hotel's rooms are very basic and not in the best condition, but they are a cheap. Singles ¥5900.
- 4 Hotel Rapport Senjukaku (ホテルラポール千寿閣), Kamitsuruma Honcho 3-11-8, Sagamihara (Behind JR Machida station, past Yodobashi Camera and the love hotel district), ☏ . Very well-priced rooms in good condition, although a little old and basic in terms of amenities. Perhaps the best value for your money among hotels near Machida Station. Singles ¥5500.
- 5 Hotel Resol Machida (ホテルリソル町田), 1-12-15 Morino (Short walk north from Odakyu Machida station main exit (towards Seiyu and Round 1 entertainment complex)), ☏ . A good mid-range hotel. Free internet access. Singles ¥7000.
- 6 Toyoko Inn Machida (東横INN町田駅小田急線東口), 1-3-3 Nakamachi (From the east exit of Odakyu Machida Station, you will see the police station on your left as you come up the stairs and exit. Proceed forward and cross the railway on your left and carry on forward.), ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. Breakfast served 7AM-9:30AM. Free internet. Singles ¥5990, doubles ¥6500.