Malcesine is a pretty little medieval town in Verona Province with winding lanes, a castle and pleasant shops. It is one of the most characteristic towns of Lake Garda and in summer it becomes a popular holiday destination for those who stay on Lake Garda.
Malcesine is 60 kilometers northwest of Verona on the north coast of Lake Garda, Verona. The town has a strong climb, partly on the height of the lake and arrives on the crest of Monte Baldo. 4 km south of Malcesine, near the village of Cassone, is the river Aril, which at 175 meters long is considered to be one of the shortest in the world.
There are regular ferries between the different towns on Lake Garda.
- 1 [dead link] Castello Scaligero. Apr-Oc 9:30-19:30; Nov-Mar Sa Su 11:00-16:00. This medieval castle is an excellent place to explore, with winding battlements and a tower. It was built in the 14th Century by the della Scala Family (rulers of Verona). Climb the tower for fantastic views over the lake and the town, but be careful of the clock bell in the tower, which chimes deafeningly on the hour - check your watch before you go up! €6.
- 2 Palazzo dei Capitani. This building used to be the seat of Capitani — heads of the Gardesana dell'Acqua, a regional autonomous territory under Venetian rule.
- 3 Pieve di S. Stefano (parish church of St. Stephen). Initially built in the 9th century. It's current baroque style dates to the early 18th century.
The area is a popular spot for mountain sports, and you can hire mountain bikes at a shop near the cable car entrance, take them up the cable car, and then ride the trails down the mountain again. Protective gear advised!
In winter a ski resort at the Monte Baldo becomes the major attraction.
- 1 Funivia Malcesine Monte Baldo (Malcesine cableway). 20 Mar 2016 - 1 Nov 2016 08:00-18:00 (every 30 min., descents 08:15-18:45); for special schedules for mountain bikers see web site; chairlift Prà Alpesina – Mount Baldo 12 Jun 2016 - 11 Sep 2016 9:00-13:00, 14:00-18:00. It's well worth taking a cable car up the 1750 m Montebaldo, which has breathtaking views of the lake and Dolomites on a clear day. There's a restaurant at the top. Malcesine – Monte Baldo €15. return €20; Prà Alpesina – Monte Baldo €5, return €7.
- Re Lear, Piazza Cavour 23, ☏ . from 10 m. to 11:30PM. Re Lear is the new generation of Lake Garda's and Italy's service industry. Sector Magazines and most importantly the "VERONELLI" gold gourmet guide 2005 has selected Re Lear as one of the best 300 restaurants in Italy for innovation, quality of cuisine, service and atmosphere. All this has been achieved in just two years of activity. You think this can't be possible in so little time? To judge for yourself you just need to try our gourmet menus: the first of them based to the "classics" of our region and the second creation with sea fish freshly delivered every morning. At Re Lear's we have a mission: we enjoy making your evening a success because Re Lear is the relaxing place you deserve. 40 Euro.
Accommodations in Malcesine keep prices fairly reasonable. You can easily pay the bill in euros or credit card.
- Hotel Vacanze 2000, Via Puri 36 (just outside Malcesine), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10:30AM. Very nice family hotel.
- 1 Castello di Avio (Castello di Sabbionara), Via al Castello - Avio (Trento) (At the village of Avio-Sabbionara at the other side of Monte Baldo).