Manazuru is a production center of high-quality stone which is long ago Komatsu Ishi. The name of the town was named because the shape on the map is similar to crane. Quarries are abundant in the mountain north of the city area. Hills along the northern coast are cultivated Mikan. The northwestern part of the town is a part of the mountainous region that continues to the outer ring of Hakone volcano.
The majority of the town area is a mountainous area and the flat area is poor, but the mountain foot of Hakone volcano is used as a mikan garden. It is said that the view from the slope where Hakone is to the north and Sagami Bay to the south is closely resembles the Mediterranean coast of France, Italy, and it is called Japanese Riviera. The Kataura area of the adjacent Odawara is also called "Oriental Riviera".
You can reach Manazuru Station from one of Tokyo's two airports. From Narita Airport, take the Narita Express train to Shinagawa, then transfer to either a Shinkansen Kodama train or a Tokaido Line local train. It is 2 hours via shinkansen connection and 3 hours via local connection.
From Haneda Airport, take a Keihin Kyuko line train to Shinagawa for connection to the Shinkansen and change at Yokohama for the local JR Tokaido line. Alternatively you can take the Keikyu Line from Haneda to Yokohama via Keikyu-Kamata station and change at Yokohama for the local JR Tokaido line.
The fastest and most expensive method of reaching Manazuru from Tokyo is to take a Tokaido Shinkansen Kodama (こだま) train from Tokyo to Odawara, then transfer to the local JR Tokaido line for the run to Atami, Numazu. The one-way fare starts from ¥3390 for unreserved seating, but with a Japan Rail Pass you need only to pay ¥240 for the local JR Tokaido line - easily done with a Suica or PASMO card. With a good connection, the trip takes one hour.
Be aware that the JR East Rail Pass does not provide access to the Tokaido Shinkansen and to make use of this pass you will need to ride the regular Tokaido Main Line to Manazuru. From Tokyo, a convenient choice that is valid with the JR East Pass is the Odoriko limited express train service. These trains have bigger windows and better seating than the regular commuter trains, and seat reservations can be made. There are at least 3-4 runs during the day in either direction.
- Iwa Beaches. Minamoto no Yoritomo sailed
- [dead link] Dōsojin.
- Ryumonji temple.
- The monument of Stonemason's ancestors
- 1 Manazuru Hantō Prefectural Natural Park.
- 'Kibune jinja Shrine'.
- Kibune Festival which is designated as an important intangible folk cultural asset designated as a country and is considered one of Japan’s three major festivals.
- Nakagawa Kazumasa art Museum.
- [dead link] Kuroda Nagamasa memorial tower.
- Sainenji temple
- Shitodo-no-iwaya Hidden Cave.
- This historic site near Manazuru Port is associated with Minamoto no Yoritomo. After losing a battle with the Taira clan at Mt.Ishibasiyama in 1180, Minamoto no Yoritomo fled into the Hakone mountains, stayed in this cave, then escaped to south of present-day Chiba.
- Odaiba memorial tower
- Manazuru Industrial vitalization Centre (Satoumi Base).
- [dead link] Setomichi. The back streets of Manazuru
- Sashimi boat
- Satoumi Base (まなづる里海BASE 真鶴産業活性化センター), ☏ . Cycling rental, fishing rental, souvenirs.
You can use hot springs in the neighboring Yugawara or Nobukawa .
Manazuru is a popular day or weekend trip from Tokyo for scuba diving, largely due to its proximity to the city. Visibility can be poor during certain times of year, but it peaks toward the end of the summer or early fall.
[dead link] Aokan Suisan (青貫水産), ☏ , fax: . 07:00-18:00. Carangidae, Squid(salted fish), dried fish
- Iwa-Chu (岩忠), ☏ , fax: . 11:00-19:00. Sashimi boat, sleep.
- Soba Restaurant Yamamoto (そば処山本), ☏ . 11:30-14:30. Soba (listed in Bib Gourmand Restaurant in the Michelin Guide Shonan).
- Aji-no-Ōnishi (味の大西 真鶴支店), ☏ . 11:00-15:00. Odawara-Kei Ramen(ja)
- Okage-Cafe (おかげCafe), ☏ , fax: . 10:00-16:00. Café, sleep.
Fuji Shokudō (富士食堂), ☏ . 17:00-23:00. Sake, sashimi, yakitori.
Sazanami (さざ波), ☏ . Sashimi boat.
Hotel Venus (南欧貴賓館 ベニュス), ☏ .
- Manazuru Tourism Association (window indication)
- address:Kanagawa, Ashigarashimo-gun, Manazuru- machi, Manazuru, Manazuru station front
- phone:+81 465-68-2500