Maribo is a city in Lolland. This is the main inland town of Lolland with 6,000 inhabitants. Here you can visit Maribo Cathedral and the beautiful Sønder Lake, which is the primary part of Maribo Lakes National Park.
Maribo is the seat of Lolland Municipality. It is a borough and one of the few in Denmark not on the coast.
Maribo dates back from the 15th century. At that time a small village called Skimminge existed here, there is still a street of that name. A convent dedicated to Virgin Mary was established here and the name was changed to Maribo, meaning Mary's home, also Maribo Cathedral was built. The town developed around the convent for the next 100 years or so, but after the reformation the convent was shut down and the town did not see much development for centuries, despite being the seat of Maribo County and of Maribo Diocese. From the middle of the 19th century, an industrial development slowly took off.
Maribo is a traffic junction on Lolland.
The nearest airport is in Copenhagen 150km away.
The local train, Lollandsbanen [formerly dead link], running between Nakskov and Nykøbing Falster passes through here. The travel time from either of the two places is around 25 minutes.
Coming from Copenhagen, you will have to change trains in Nykøbing Falster, the total travel time is around 2 hours. Coming from Rødby, you would also have to travel to Nykøbing Falster and change for Lollandsbanen there, so a local bus is a much faster option.
Maribo is a local bus hub with buses from/to most other places on Lolland. This includes Rødby Færgehavn (bus 23 or 24, 23 minutes), Sakskøbing(bus 800, 16 minutes), Nykøbing Falster (bus 800, 37 minutes), Bandholm (bus 20, 14 minutes), Knuthenborg (bus 20, 10 minutes), Kragenæs (bus 20, 35 minutes), Nakskov (bus 14 or 800, 35 minutes). From/to Nysted you will have to change buses at Toreby.
Motorway E47 passes just north of Maribo connecting it to Rødby 20km southwest and in the other direction to Falster, Vordingborg (50km) and Copenhagen (140km). Nakskov is 25km west.
Maribo is small enough to walk around. There are a few infrequent local buses. There are two local taxis reachable at +45 5478 1200 and +45 5478 0500, respectively. It is possible to rent bikes from Maribo Turistbureau.
- 1 Bangs Have, Bangshavevej (a few hundred meters west of the town centre, southwest of the train station). Always open. Park established in the 19th century and since used for promenades and entertainment. Crisscossed by walking paths including a nice walk to the cathedral and convent ruins. Hylddalen, Maribo Open Air Museum and the local camping site are all within this park. Free.
- 2 Bagtorvet Area. In this area south of Torvegade and Torvet you will find the old part of town with buildings from the 17th and 18th century. The oldest one is Kapellangården in Kappelanstræde from 1756, but also Brødregade and Søndergade are worth a visit.
- 3 Convent Ruin (Klosterruinen), Klostergade 35. There are only ruins left from the catholic convent, which was so central in the early days of Maribo history. It was established in the 15th century with both a monk and a nun part. The convent did not survive the reformation and the last monk left in mid 16th century. The convent continued for 75 years as a secular monastery.
- 4 Former City Hall, Torvet. Built in 1856 and working as city hall until the merger of Maribo Municipality into Lolland Municipality. The building now houses the local archives of Maribo.
- 1 Golfklubben Maribo Sø, Refshale Byvej 22, Refshalegården, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Hylddalen, Bangs Have, Bangshavevej 23. Open air theater and music venue.
- 3 Maribowl - AktivitetsCenter, V. Kolbyesvej 17, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Offers bowling and mini golf.
- 4 Maribo-Bandholm Museum Train.
- 5 NørregadeTeatret, Nørregade 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Cafe Maribo, Vestergade 6A, ☏ . Serves traditional Danish food.
- 2 Café Xanthos, Østergade 33, ☏ .
- 3 Milano Café, Vestergade 13. M-Sa 11MA-10PM, Su noon-10PM. Italian cuisine, primarily pizzas, pastas and burgers. Main 65-125 DKK, pizzas or pastas around 60 DKK.
- 4 Restaurant China House, Vestergade 4, ☏ .
- 5 Restaurant Lysemose, Vestre Landevej 16, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Bangs. close to the lake and the woods.
- 1 Rådhuspubben (Among locals called "Pillen"), Jernbanegade 20, ☏ . A small pub located close to the railway station. Very local clientele, and maybe not the best place to go as a foreigner.
- 2 Zanne's Café, Østergade 35.
- 3 [dead link] Diskotek Mona, Torvet 17. F-Sa 11PM-5AM. The only disco in town. Has a separate section, Mona+, playing old Danish music the first Saturday evening every month. Also features a sports pub.
- Munkstuen, Kaj Munks Gade 2. A very cozy pub with more of a classical inn theme combined with some pub sports. Local clientele and some of Maribo's young people. Serves the major brands of beer.
- 1 Bandholm Hotel, Havnegade 37, Bandholm (North coast of Lolland), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 4-star hotel with a view to the Småland Sea, built in 1886 and renovated recently as of 2020.
- 2 [dead link] Danhostel Maribo, Sdr. Boulevard 82B, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. In nice surroundings next to Bangs Have and Sønder Lake. Offers 98 beds in two floors. Guest kitchen, billiards, table-tennis, bob, foosball and children's playroom available. Open 1 Feb-19 Dec. The reception is open 8AM-10AM and 4PM-6PM. Dorms 150 DKK, doubles without bath from 300 DKK (350 DKK in high season).
- 3 Ebsens Hotel, Vestergade 32 (in the middle of the main street), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Classical hotel with 18 rooms and one larger family room with kitchenette. Restaurant serving well prepared traditional food. Doubles from 595 DKK including breakfast.
- 4 Hotel Lolland, Vestre Landevej 110, Nørreballe (6km nortwest of Maribo, 10min by bus 800), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Small hotel with 12 double rooms. Doubles from 700 DKK.
- 5 Hotel Maribo Søpark, Vestergade 29 (in the middle of the main street), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel with a view of Sønder Lake. Offers 107 rooms, most of which have a balcony. Restaurant and spa available. Doubles from 1,025 DKK.
- 6 Maribo Sø Camping, Bangshavevej 25, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Camp site in Bangs Have and next to Sønder Lake. Television room, playground, camping shop, kitchen and bathing facilities. Open 26 Mar–24 Oct. Adults €10, children (0-12 years) €5, caravan €2.75, tent €2.75, electricity €4,30.
There are to local newspapers based in Maribo
- 4 Post Office, Banegårdspladsen 2.
- Knuthenborg Safaripark
|Routes through Maribo|
|Copenhagen ← Sakskøbing ←||N S||→ Rødby → Lübeck|