Marktl is famous throughout the world to be the birthplace of Pope Benedict XVI. Joseph Ratzinger was born here on 16 April 1927 and elected Pope in Rome on 19 April 2005. Cardinal Ratzinger, former dean of the College of Cardinals and prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of faith, he retired on February 28, 2013 for reasons of age.
Visitor informations Edit
- 1 Tourist informations (Tourismus und Begegnung Marktl GmbH), Marktplatz 1 (Town Hall), ☏ . M-Su 10:00-12:00 & 14:00-16:00.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
The nearest major international airport is Munich Airport (MUC IATA) (also called "Franz Josef Strauss"), located 92 km from Marktl, with a journey time of approximately one hour by car. As the second largest airport in Germany, it is connected to numerous cities.
By car Edit
- From West (Munich): via the B12 federal road via Mühldorf am Inn and Altötting (partly already developed as the A 94 motorway).
- From North: Via Federal Highway B20 or B299
By train Edit
- 1 Marktl railway station (Bahnhof Marktl). Marktl is located on the Munich-Mühldorf-Simbach railway line.
Get around Edit
- 1 Pope Benedict XVI house, Marktplatz 11, ☏ , email@example.com. Jointly managed by the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and the Diocese of Passau through the "Stiftung Geburtshaus Papst Benedikt XVI" ("Birthplace Foundation of Pope Benedict XVI").
:The Pope Benedict XVI house is also the birthplace of Georg Lankensperger (born March 31, 1779 in Marktl and died July 11, 1847), he was the inventor of double-pivot steering, in which each front wheel of an axle turns independently and the axis itself is not deflected.
- 2 Column of Benedict (In front of the Pope Benedict XVI house). Bronze column inaugurated during the papal visit on 8 September 2006.
- 3 St.Oswald church and baptistery. Catholic church consecrated in 1875.
- 4 Marktl History Museum, Marktplatz 1 (On the ground floor of the town hall), ☏ . 11 rooms totaling 350 square meters show an outline of the history of the region since prehistoric times. Adults: €2.00 (with guide).
- Guided tour. "Auf den Spuren von Papst Benedikt" ("In the footsteps of Pope Benedict"), with explanations of local history, the column of Benedict and the baptistery of St. Oswald with the baptismal font. Duration: about 30-40 minutes. Group (up to 15 people): €15.00.
- 1 Gasthaus Bonimeier, Kirchplatz 3, 84533 Niedergottsau (Via Burghauser Straße).
Stay safe Edit
Stay healthy Edit
- 2 Pharmacy (Marien Apotheke), Marktplatz 10, ☏ .
- 3 Post office (Postfiliale 568), Lankenspergerstr. 2 (Seidel car gallery).