locality in Gore District, Southland Region, New Zealand
Mataura (pronounced: ma-TAU-ra) is a rural service town on the Mataura River, 13 km south of Gore, in the Southland region of the South Island of New Zealand.
State Highway 1 passes through Mataura.
- From Gore, it is a 13 kilometre drive south.
- From Invercargill, it is a 53 kilometres north.
- 1 Mataura Museum, 68 Kana St. F–Su 1–4pm. Based in an 1880s cottage, known locally as Clematis Cottage. It showcases Mataura's social heritage and the industrial heritage of the Mataura Paper Mill (which closed in 2000) and Mataura Freezing Works. It reopened in March 2015 after restoration. Free.
- Fishing for brown trout in the Mataura River
- 1 Tulloch Park, cnr Main St & Glendhu Rd. Has an asphalted pump track where you can pump your bike (rather than pedalling), a loop trail and fitness stations.
Mataura has a meat processing plant.
- The Catlins – forest, beaches and wildlife
|Routes through Mataura|
|Dunedin ← Gore ←||N S||→ Invercargill|