Maurach is a town on the southern shore of Achen Lake in Tyrol.
By far the most picturesque way to get to Maurach is by Achensee Railway (German: Aachenseebahn), the oldest cog railway in Europe that is still in operation. The locomotives are still steam driven, just as they were when the line opened in 1889. The steep railway track is almost 7 km long and climbs an impressive 440 m from 1 Jenbach station to 2 Seespitz over this relative short distance, pushing the steam locomotives to their limits with a maximum inclination of 16%.
The Achensee Railway operates between April and October, a single ticket costs €25 for adults and €12 for children. Dogs and cycles can be taken along on the train but must be registered in advance, for an additional €6. Tickets can be purchased online.
When travelling from outside Austria, nearby regional capital city Innsbruck has an international airport, 3 Innsbruck Airport (INN IATA) at a distance of ca. 46 km, from where Maurach can be reached easily by Lower Inn Valley Railway. From the airport, take bus to 4 (Main Station), a ticket costs €2.40. Then take the train to 5 Jenbach Station and transfer to Achensee Railway or bus.
Further airports are
Maurach is pretty small and getting around on foot is easy and efficient.
- 1 Notburga Church (Notburga-Kirche), Eben 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Regarded as one of the most beautiful baroque churches in Tyrol, built in 1718 on the location of its Roman predecessor. The church is named after the Tyrolean saint Notburga, who died in 1313.
- 2 Achen Lake Museum World (Achenseer Museumwelt), Museumsweg 3-9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Technology museum focused on tools and machines used in forestry and agriculture in the Achen Valley. The 8000 m² museum has hosted a large collection of tractors and machinery since 2002, and serves as an educational stronghold to preserve knowledge and heritage as the Achen Valley continues to shift its economic emphasis from traditional sectors towards tourism.
- 1 Achen Lake Atoll (Atoll Achensee), Achenseestraße 63, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-22:00 daily. A large indoor and outdoor sports facility with pools, spa, sauna, boulder hall, ice skating arena, and a gym. On the southern shore of Achen Lake, with a fantastic panorama over the lake when weather permits!
- 2 Airrofan Skyglider (Rofanseilbahn). A zip line that can be used by up to 4 adventurers simultaneously. You'll be strapped in a harness with up to 3 friends, winched up, and then race down the line in a 2 minute decent. Note that access requires a Rofan Seilbahn ticket, so if you're traveling up the mountain just for the Skyglider this will be an expensive activity. Recommended only if you already have a day pass for the cable car. Adults €11.50, Children €8.
Maurach has a relatively small ski resort in the mighty Rofan mountains east of the Achensee Lake. The resort is tailored to experienced skiers, with mostly intermediate and difficult downhill runs. For those who desire variety, there is a bus connection to the larger Achenkirch ski resort (ca. 30 min).
Because of its low altitude, ski conditions in winter are variable, and natural snow is complemented with snow cannons if necessary. When snow conditions allow, there is an intermediate downhill run from the 3 Buchauer Alm (1.385 m) back to the base station of the gondola.
Name Tel. Altitude / / / / Ski resort Rofan +43 5243 5292 985 - 1.840m 4 Lifts: 1 / 2 / 1 11 km Pistes: 1 / 8 / 2
- 1 Edelstein Grotte, Rotkreuzstraße 4. Minerals, fossils, and assorted souvenirs and gifts.
- 2 Achentaler Glaskunst, Dorfstrasse 38 (Achen Lake Railway station ). Traditional glass arts.
All major debit and credit cards are accepted in supermarkets in Maurach.
- 3 MPREIS, Dorfstraße 24, ☏ . M-Th 07:30 - 19:00, F 07:30 - 19:30, Sa 07:30 - 18:00. The largest supermarket in Maurach, with a good offering of groceries (fresh vegetables, fruits, bread, drinks) and useful goods such as sun cream.
- 4 Spar, Dorfstraße 40 (train station ), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M, Th, F 06:30–18:30, Tu 06:00–18:00, Sa 06:30–18:00, Su 08:00–12:00. Smaller than the MPREIS and a bit more expensive. A great place to shop for souvenirs such as Tiroler Speck or post cards (€0.55 per card + €0.90 for a stamp). They also carry most of the locally produced shale oil derived products under the name Tiroler Steinöl (Tyrolean Stone Oil).
- 1 Jodlerwirt, Dorfstrasse 34 (train station ), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00-21:00. Traditional Tyrolean restaurant (German: Stube) serving authentic food. Great atmosphere and huge portions. Possibly the best price/quality trade-off in Maurach. You won't leave the table hungry in this restaurant! Recommendable is the Grillteller (mixed grilled meat served with fries) for €14.50. They also have a selection of cakes.
- 2 Peter's Grill, Pertisauer Strasse 27 (bus stop ), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fast food restaurant on the road between Maurach and Pertisau.
- 3 Cafe-Restaurant Klingler, Dorfstrasse 41, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Local restaurant with a nice selection of cakes and ice creams.
- 4 Arthurs Venezia, Dorfstrasse 23, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Italian cuisine, with a good range of pizza, meat, pasta, and fish dishes. The pizzas are baked in a stone oven and good value starting at €9.10 but much of the remaining menu tends to be on the expensive side.
- 5 Erfurter Hütte, Rofan 3, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mountain restaurant, at an altitude of 1834 m, with a splendid view over the Achen Valley.
- 6 Restaurant-Cafe Bergkristall, Achenseestrasse 100 (bus stop ), ☏ . Decent restaurant on the eastern shore of Achen Lake, with a view over Pertisau on the other side of the lake. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- 7 Felderer Stadl, Maurach 83c, ☏ . Traditional Tyrolean restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating.
- 1 Edelbrennerei Kostenzer, Achenseestrasse 22, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:30-12:30, 14:00-18:00, Sa 08:30-12:30. A distillery and adjacent shop producing and selling over 70 varieties of gin, whisky, and liquors based on locally sourced ingredients such as apples, plums, apricots and forest berries.
- 1 Seecamping Wimmer, Achensee Strasse 75 (bus stop ), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Camping at the shore of Achen Lake, next to the sports facilities of the Achensee Atoll. €18-29.
- 2 Karwendel Camping, Planbergstrasse 23, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A small camping at the outskirts of Maurach, next to the Karwendel Nature Park forest.
- 3 Hotel-Pension Rotspitz, Eggweg 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: 10:00. Large hotel with wellness and spa facilities (2 saunas, steam bath, jacuzzi, fitness room) and a traditional restaurant. Extensive breakfast buffet. For fish lovers, the fried Achen Lake trout for €22.90 is a must. €88.
- 4 Wellness Residenz Alpenrose, Mühltalweg 10, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Large hotel with 92 rooms, open year round.
- 5 Hotel St. Georg zum See, Achenseestraße 18, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A family hotel tailored to skiers, with swimming pool and sauna.
In the Achen Valley:
In the Lower Inn Valley: