Maynooth is the principal community in Hastings Highlands township in eastern Ontario. The township has about 4,100 residents (2016).
A short drive away from Algonquin Provincial Park, Maynooth is the closest location to the park with intercity scheduled bus service.
The Maynooth railway station built in 1907 by the Central Ontario Railway to serve the Maynooth area. The railway was acquired by Canadian Northern Railway which later became part of the Canadian National Railway. This section of railway was abandoned in 1984.
Maynooth is 30 minutes from the Highway 60 entrance to Algonquin Park.
Maynooth is extremely small and everything there is within easy walking distance.
Maynooth is a good place to base visits to Algonquin Provincial Park with beautiful canoeing, kayaking, camping and hiking.
- Highland Wilderness Tours, 239 East Lake Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Horse camps, dogsledding, snowmobiling, trail riding stables
- Snowmobiling. The Maple Leaf Snow Skimmers Club's trail network spans over 280 km of picturesque trails from the hub at Lake St. Peter northwest to Whitney, north to Madawaska, east to Combermere, south to Bancroft, west to Martins Mill and southeast to Baptiste Lake.
- Maynooth General Store, 33001 Hwy 62, mainstreet, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-6PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Groceries.
- Madawaska Art Shop, Junction Hwy 62 and Hwy 127, ☏ . Sculptures, art glass, jewellery, pottery, wood carvings, metal wall art, pine furniture and crate design bunk beds.
- Sunrun Cafe, 33021 Hwy 62, ☏ . Breakfast, soup, salads, & sandwiches using many ingredients from their farm.
- Memories Bakery & Tea Room, 33057 Hwy 62, ☏ . Daily 11AM-5PM. Sandwiches, etc.
The local hostel owners have set up a pub for guests and non-guests.
- The Arlington, 32990 Hwy 62, ☏ . F & Sa 7PM-1AM. Live music (Rockie, indie, etc.)
- 1 Arlington Hotel and Pub, 32990 Highway 62, Maynooth (at Old Hastings Rd/Hwy 127), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM-midnight, check-out: 11AM. Hostel in century-old building. Hiking, mountain biking and canoeing trips to Algonquin Park for $40 per person per day. Free wi-fi. HI members/non-members: dorms $25/28, single $40/45, double $63/70, triple $85/95, quad $108/120.
- Trails Edge Bed & Breakfast, 32 Maynooth Station Road (2 minutes from Maynooth), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A year-round bed and breakfast in an 1873 historical home. Private entrance, full guest kitchen (guests are welcome to bring and prepare their own food), dining area, 4 bedrooms – each with satellite TV and Wi-Fi – and a large shared washroom. With breakfast/without: single $85/75, double from $105/90.
- Hastings Highlands Public Library, 33011 Highway 62 North, ☏ . M F Sa 10AM-2PM, Tu Th 10AM-6PM, W 10AM-4PM. Local library with free Internet.
The postcode for Maynooth, Ontario is K0L 2S0.
- Renfrew and Pembroke are about an hour and a half away
- Belleville and Peterborough are less than two hours away
- Ottawa and Toronto are approximately 4 hours away.
|Routes through Maynooth|
|END at Junction ← Barry's Bay ←||E S||→ Bancroft → Belleville|