In the past the village of Megali Panagia was named Revenikia. In 1928 took the current name (means Great Virgin Mary) that related with the near pilgrimage, dedicated to Virgin Mary. The oldest references about the village date back in Byzantine era. In the Ottoman period the village belonged to the Mademochoria Federation. During Greek War of Independence it is burnt by the Turks.
Arnea is one of the most beautiful traditional villages in Chalkidiki
- 1 Caslte of Neposi. It was the largest fortress in Halkidiki from the 5th century AD. In the 6th century, the castle was abandoned in a badly damaged condition and only revived and repaired in the 10th century, but it was later destroyed again but continued to be used as a fortified settlement until the 14th century. The castle ruin has an area of 15,000 square meters and the length of the remaining walls is about 1000 meters with a maximum height of 4 to 5 meters.