Melville was named for Charles Melville Hays, who was the president of the Grand Trunk Railway and Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. Hays was on board the RMS Titanic and parished when it sank. Melville effectively serves as the main rail-to-bus connection to Regina for its passengers. Today, the transcontinental Canadian train, operated by national passenger rail carrier Via Rail, serves the Melville railway station three times per week.
Melville is 150 km (93 mi) northeast of Regina on Highway 10. Melville's connections by road to other communities include Saskatchewan 15 and 47, the closest major centre to Melville is the city of Yorkton, 42 km (26 mi) to the northeast.
Melville Municipal Airport for private aircraft is 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km; 1.7 mi) east of the city.
- Olympic Taxi, ☏ .
- 1 The Melville Railway Museum. May 15 to Sep 30: daily 10AM-6PM. It features a CN steam engine, Grand Trunk Pacific flat car, CN old-style caboose. The Grand Trunk Pacific station, built in 1913, was relocated in 1977 and is being restored. Tours are arranged at tourist information centre.
- The Melville Heritage Museum, Heritage Drive (on Highway #10 (next to St. Peter’s Hospital and St. Paul Lutheran Home)). May – August: daily 10AM-5PM, off season by appointment. It's in the original Luther College (formerly Luther Academy) building, built in 1913. The Luther Academy moved to Regina in 1926. After a stint as St. Paul's Home for the Aged and Orphans, the building was declared a heritage site, and opened as a museum in the early 1980s. Exhibits include antiques related to farming, the railway, and household items. Adults $5, children 12 years and under free.
- Melville Game Preserve
- Melville Regional Park and Duff Recreation Site, 1260 Prince Edward St. 18-hole golf course with grass greens, food service, outdoor pool, picnic area, playground, cross-country skiing. The park is on approximately 300 acres of land. It has 8 ball diamonds, walking and skiing trails.
- Chan's Chop Suey House, 121 3rd Ave W, ☏ . Chinese, Asian cuisine
- Double Best Pizza, 249 Main St, ☏ . Pizza, Canadian, Greek cuisine
- Flamingo Restaurant, 226 3rd Ave W, ☏ . Canadian cuisine
- Sushi Garden, 702 3rd Ave W, ☏ . Japanese, Sushi, Asian cuisine
- Western Pizza, 290 Prince William Dr, ☏ . Pizza, Canadian cuisine
- Melville Regional Park and Duff Recreation Site, 1260 Prince Edward St, ☏ . 60 campsites with water and 20 Amp service, 25 with 30 Amp and 20 non-serviced sites. There are several tent sites and group tenting areas. Barrier-free washroom/shower. Pet-friendly. Drinking water. Dumping station. Modern washroom. Shower. The playground is adjacent to the swimming pool. $20-33/night (2018).
- 1 Sigma Inn & Suites, 210 Service Rd (north side of Hwy 10/47 (bypass) west of Hwy 47N), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 99-159.
- 2 Howard Johnson Inn (on Hwy 10 on the north side of Melville), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. $89.
- 3 Melsask Motel, 465 3rd Ave W, ☏ .
- 4 Melville Country Inn, ☏ . $70-$85.
- 5 Aariel's Bed and Breakfast, 116 8th Ave W, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1912 character home featuring two guest rooms and full breakfast.
Yorkton is 42 km (26 mi) northwest of Melville.
|Routes through Melville|
|Saskatoon ← Watrous ←||W E||→ Portage la Prairie → Winnipeg|
|Regina ← Fort Qu'Appelle ←||W E||→ Yorkton → Dauphin|
|Rosetown ← Outlook ←||W E||→ ENDS at|