Mercedes is the capital of the department of Soriano, Uruguay, located at the north of the department, on the south bank of Rio Negro. The city has 41,975 inhabitants (2011). It's a quiet town that offers water activities such as fishing and water sports, attractive natural landscapes and an interesting cultural agenda.
The city is connected by national highways No. 2, 14 and 21:
- : from the southeast connects with Route 1 from Montevideo → Cardona → Rosario, and from the north Fray Bentos ← Gualeguaychú (Argentina) through the Argentina National Route 136, crossing the General San Martin International Bridge.
- : from the east communicates with Durazno → Trinidad (across Route 3).
- : Mercedes connects from the south with Carmelo → Colonia del Sacramento → Nueva Palmira → Dolores.
The city is connected to several neighboring cities and Montevideo through regular bus services that depart and arrive at the Mercedes Terminal, located in the southern part of the city, in front of Plaza Artigas. On the website of the terminal can be consulted available bus services and their frequency.
Mercedes has a small airport:
- 1 Departmental Aerodrome Ricardo Detomasi (OACI: SUME)
Since the city is small and covers little area, very often to go from one place to another place of the city is enough by going on foot. To go to farther destinations or the outskirts of the city is worth to use a transport service.
Mercedes has taxi and remise services that cover the entire city:
- Taxi 1313, ☏ .
- Taxi Guigou, ☏ .
- Fono Taxi, ☏ .
- Taxi Plaza Independencia, ☏ .
- Remises del Hum, ☏ .
- Remises Mercedes, ☏ .
- 1 Library and Pinacotheca Eusebio Gimenez, Eusebio Gimenez s/n esq. 28 de Febrero.
- 2 Guernica Park (Delimited by the mouth of the Dacá creek, Rio Negro and Zorrilla de San Martin Av.).
- 3 Catedral Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, Manuel Antonio de Castro y Careaga st. w/n between Cristobal Colón st. and Gral. José Artigas st. (facing plaza Independencia).
- 4 Centro Histórico y Geográfico de Soriano, Gral. Artigas st. 618 between Eduardo Casagrande and Pedro Blanes Viale st., ✉ email@example.com. Wed 9:00-11:00.
- 5 Casa de la Cultura, Wilson Ferreira Aldunate st. and Ituzaingó st., ☏ . Mon to Fri from 7:30 to 18:30 hs, Sat and Sun from 8 to 12 and from 17 to 21 hs.
- 6 Estadio Luis Koster. To see some football (soccer) matches.
- 7 Castillo Mauá. 09:00-17:00. It is the center of the old ranch that purchased the Baron of Mauá the mid nineteenth century. It has a vineyard. Free.
- Birdwatching in the Rio Negro.
- 1 Paragliding (Escuela Alfa Parapente), ☏ . The flights depart from the Departmental Aerodrome Ricardo Detomasi. The flight costs U$1000, the learning course costs US$700..
- 2 Complejo Polideportivo Ciudad de Mercedes (next door Aeródromo Departamental Ricardo Detomasi), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. It is a racetrack for different categories of competition vehicles, such as automobiles or motorcycles. It has food services.