Merikarvia has an intricate coastline with many bays and capes. Along and farther off the coast there are many islands. Some islands and the sea outside the archipelagos belong to Bothnian Sea National Park. There are tours to the Oura archipelago far out. The river Merikarvianjoki offers nice fishing.
- Tourist information, ☏ (Galleria Vanha Savu; in season), (municipality office; off season).
Get in edit
By bus edit
There are buses from Pori (ca 50 km, 1 hr, €12.60 as of 2022) several times daily in schooldays, some along E8, some via Ahlainen, some via Noormarkku. They are operated by Aaro E. Mäkelä (as of 2022). There are also a few services from Isojoki. In weekends you probably have to resort to express buses along E8 and get off at the crossroads (Tuorila).
By boat edit
The official fairways come from the open sea. There is a half-official boating route (1.0 m) through the archipelagos from Pori along all the Merikarvia coast; it is narrow, going amidst very stony waters.
Get around edit
Villages along E8 are easily reached by the coaches, at least in school days. A few coaches drive along the coast, via Pohjansaha and Peippu, a few via Kuvaskangas and Koittankoski. Mostly you'd like to have a bike or car, though, or take a taxi.
By boat edit
Boat to Ouraluoto (and probably elsewhere) on request:
- Tapio Ristimäki ☏
- Raimo Stenroos ☏
By taxi edit
- See also: Satakunta#By taxi
- 1 Lankoski (Långfors) (by road E8, 6.5 km south from Tuorila). A nationally important cultural milieu, witnessing late 19th-century small-scale industrialisation. There is also a nature reserve and a nature path by the rapids. The old stone bridge, replacing a wooden one, was built 1886–1887 and used for the thoroughfare until 1960. Free.
- 2 Church of Merikarvia, Paltteentie 10 (in the centre), ☏ (M 15:00–17:00 W 09:00–12:00), firstname.lastname@example.org. In connection with services, mostly Su 10:00–11:00. Wooden church from 1899, seating some 2,500 persons. Free.
- 1 Oura Archipelago (7 km off the coast, 5–6 M by boat), ☏ . Island group in the outer archipelago, a Natura 2000 area, some islands belong to the national park. The nature is fragile, so keep to the duckboards and existing paths were possible. Avoid landing on islands with nesting birds April–July. The islands are exposed to the wind, with little shelter, so dress accordingly. Free; visits to the lookout room included in tour prices.
- 2 Hamskeri (1.2-m boating route to the moorings). Partly a nature reserve. Natural harbour. Shelters, campfire sites, outhouse toilet, nature path.
- 3 Ouraluoto (1.8-m boating route to the jetty; tours from Krookka). Municipal outdoor destination with former pilot station. Jetty, lodgings and tent sites (see Lodging below). Beach (suddenly deep). Barbecue hut and campfire sites at visitors' disposal. Well (water not potable). Outhouse toilets.
- Fishing in Merikarvianjoki, ☏ , email@example.com. Get needed permits and check the rules. Permits and available on the net in Finnish, for personal service, contact Köffi, the SEO in Tuorila, or Rautanet (hardware store) or K-Market in the centre. Most lodging businesses with cottages along the river should also be happy to help. €16–35 for a day, €10 for 12–17 years old + the national fee for those 18–64 years old.
- 1 Köffi and Kahvimylly (Lankoski, at E8 6.7 km south from Tuorila). Large café with meals, geared towards charter coaches and lorry drivers, with long hours year-round (Köffi); and a smaller nice café (Kahvimylly).
- 2 The Merry Monk, Varvintie 5 (Krookka), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Gastropub. €17–25.
- Sinihelmi (in the centre). Lunch restaurant.
- 1 Merrycamping, Palosaarentie 67 (across the bay Krookanlahti, 6 km from the centre by road), ☏ . Camping site by the sea. For caravans. Also cottages, a few for year-round use. Beach, playground, etc., available also for non-customers.
- 2 Rauhanlaakso, Kivirannantie 2 (1 km south from the centre, by Antintie), ☏ , email@example.com. Cottages by the river. A 2.7-km nature trail in the forest starts in the vicinity. Wood fired sauna. From €100.
- 3 Niittyniemen lomamökit, Niittyniementie 17 (4.5 km east of the centre, along Friikoskentie), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00 (if the next night booked). Cottages (two) and camping. By the river. Well equipped, with beds for 2×2+2. Wood-fired sauna. Mar–Nov weekend nights €120, weekdays €100; Dec–Feb €100/80; linen €15/person; camping €10, electricity +€5; sauna for campers €5/person.
- 4 Ouraluoto (1.8-m boating route, 5 nautical miles from Krookka; by tour boat or own vessel), ☏ . Accommodation in rooms of the pilot station or the adjacent lodging quarters. Camping with tent possible (on wooden platform). Washing in the old sauna. Kitchen in the pilot station, wood stoves in the adjacent building. Outhouse toilets. Sun-powered 230 V electricity in the pilot station. Bring eating utensils, linen and potable water. Remember not to use salt water on the sauna stove. €30–60, €100–150 for 4–8 persons; mooring one night free; sauna €100/4 hr (the new sauna).
- 5 Koivuniemen herra, Harjuntie 28 (Tuorila), ☏ , email@example.com. Accommodation in a farmhouse from the 1920s, in nice rooms furnished in old style. Hostel-like accommodation in the barn (self-catering, shared kitchen and facilities). Linen included. Guests are invited to join in the farm's morning duties ca 09:30–10:30. Campfire site, etc. Peace for the animals demanded in the night. Theme packages for a day or a few available. Also café with lunch. The food is by own receipts. From €120 (breakfast included), additional beds €40. Hostel from €75, additional beds €25, breakfast €13. Lunch (weekends and peak season?) €8.50–10.50, children €8.50/6.50/3.50/–..