Mesquite is a city in Clark County, in Southern Nevada, about 80 mi (130 km) northeast of Las Vegas. It is immediately on the Nevada-Arizona border, near Utah. The town is on the north bank of the Virgin River, with the smaller settlement of Bunkerville on the south side of the river. Mesquite is a boomtown, attracting tourists and permanent residents. The town's population is about 19,000 (2018). Its biggest industry is tourism.
- Interstate 15 has two exits (#120 and #122) for Mesquite. The town has built up around the freeway and is a favorite truck stop for all sorts of travelers. It is the only significant population center on the freeway between Las Vegas and St. George.
Salt Lake Express provides limited intercity bus service.
- 1 Virgin River Gorge. Worth a short drive into Utah. Beware of dangerous curves and, at times, low visibility, but when conditions are clear, the drive is amazing. Take Interstate 15 north through a small sliver of Arizona, then into Utah for more of nature's wonder.
- 2 Virgin Valley Heritage Museum, ☏ . Free.
If you win...
Chances are that, if you win it big in Mesquite and you are not a U.S. citizen your winnings will be subject to a 30% withholding tax from the Internal Revenue Service. That $10,000 slot winning can dwindle quite quickly if that is taken off the top. Not to worry though you can reclaim your gambling winnings tax through a 1042-S form. You should get this from the casino so don't lose it: it is your starting ticket to getting your gambling winnings back.
Mesquite has a few gambling opportunities.
Because of its longtime function as a highway stop, fast food is very common in Mesquite. Many varieties are available, including McDonald's, Del Taco, Dairy Queen, Jack in the Box, and KFC. Most casinos offer a typical Vegas-style low-cost buffet.
- Gregory's Mesquite Grill, 275 Mesa Blvd (at Eureka Resort), ☏ , toll-free: . Daily 4-9PM. steak house favorites, and Italian specialties. Mains from $29.
- Los Lupes Restaurant, 312 W. Mesquite Blvd. #2, ☏ . Mexican. Sunday Brunch, traditional Mexican favorites including homemade tortillas, menudo, and pozole.
There are several major resort casinos in Mesquite. The first of these was the Peppermill, now known as Oasis. Now closed due to economic pressures, and mostly demolished.
- St. George - 30 miles northeast of Mesquite. Traveling to St. George via Interstate 15 offers some spectacular scenery in the Virgin River Gorge.
- Las Vegas - 80 miles southwest of Mesquite.
- Zion National Park - Zion, Bryce Canyon, and other natural wonders are within easy reach of Mesquite.
|Routes through Mesquite|
|Salt Lake City ← St. George ←||N S||→ North Las Vegas → Las Vegas|