Mittenwald is an Alpine town in the German state of Bavaria. Although it only has a population of 7,000 people, it has a great tradition of violin making. It is located in the district of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, near the border with Austria.
Mittenwald has a railway station on the Munich-Innsbruck railway. Deutsche Bahn operates hourly trains to Munich and two-hourly trains to Innsbruck. The train journey to Innsbruck from Mittenwald is a spectacularly scenic trip, not to be missed.
The whole town is walkable on foot.
The small town is pretty with dramatic mountains in the background.
- Leutascher Geisterklamm (next to Mittenwald, on the German-Austrian border). An impressive gorge, somewhat similar to the Partnachklamm in nearby Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Colorful painted houses throughout the town.
- Geigenbaumuseum Mittenwald, Ballenhausgasse 3. A museum showcasing Mittenwald's rich history of violin making. Exhibits in English and German, €5.50 admission for adults.
- Karwendelbahn. up to the mountain for dramatic views €27.
- Hike in the numerous mountains above the town. There are several marked trails to Hoher Kranzberg and other viewpoints in the area.
- REWE, Innsbrucker Str. 4. Chain grocery store with local products.
- Jugendherberge Mittenwald, Buckelwiesen 7, ☏ .
- [dead link] Ferienhaus Haller, Klammstr. 26, ☏ .
- Naturcampingpark Isarhorn, am Horn 4, ☏ .
- Haus Waldfrieden, Elmauer Weg 14, ☏ .
- Gasthof Stern, Fritz-Prölß-Platz 2, ☏ .
- Alpenrose, Hotel-Gasthof, Obermarkt 1, ☏ .
- Hotel Rieger, Dekan-Karl-Platz 28, ☏ .
- Landhotel Tonihof, Buckelwiesen 3, ☏ .
- Jägerhof, Partenkirchner Straße 35, ☏ .
- Hubertushof, Dammkarstraße 9, ☏ .
- Post Hotel Mittenwald, Obermarkt 9, ☏ .