Monmouth is a delightful, bustling, market town near where the three rivers Wye, Monnow and Trothy meet on the border with England. On a sunny day it can be packed with tourists strolling up and down the narrow pavements of Monnow Street, Agincourt Square and Church Street. It has an iconic 1 fortified bridge which has relieved of motor traffic by the building of a second bridge over the Monnow after the cattle market closed. Little is left of the Norman castle around which the town grew.
Monmouth museum displays artefacts associated with Admiral Lord Nelson and Charles Rolls of Rolls Royce fame.
The whole town has free Wi-Fi, as a result of Monmouthpedia, a project to use QRpedia QR codes "to provide multilingual smart phone access to Wikipedia articles covering notable subjects in Monmouth, such as places, people, artefacts, flora and fauna" according to Wikipedia. This 2012 project led to Monmouth being described as the "world's first Wikipedia town".
- 1 Tourist Information Centre (Canolfan Croeso), Shire Hall, Agincourt Square, NP25 3DY, ☏ .
National Express coach 323 calls daily at Monmouth - in the morning on its route via Ross-on-Wye, Worcester and Birmingham towards Liverpool, and in the evening on its return run towards Newport and Cardiff.
Since there is no train station, Chepstow and Abergavenny are the best options. Both stations are about 30 minutes drive away. Faster trains call at Newport and Bristol Parkway
The closest railway station is Abergavenny which is on the Cardiff to Manchester line.
- 1 Marks & Spencer. High quality clothing, especially underwear, at reasonable prices with a liberal exchange policy.
- The Bell at Skenfrith, Where the B4521 crosses the Monnow River, Monmouthshire, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built in the 17th century as a coaching inn, The Bell has been completely restored and has established itself as one of Wales's finest inns..
- 1 [dead link] Number Seven Church Street, 7 Church St, NP25 3BX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- The Lancaster Arms Guest House, Old Hereford Road, ☏ . On the A465 approx. 6 miles north-east of Abergavenny. This is a country guest house, just off the Offa's Dyke Path. £150-200 per room.
- [dead link] Bechers Cottage, The Farr Farm, Newcastle NP25 5NF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A 5-star cottage £360-595.
- Kings Orchard Caravan Park, Withy Lane, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Holiday caravan park, approximately one mile from the town centre.
|Routes through Monmouth|
|Cardiff ← Raglan ←||SW NE||→ Ross-on-Wye → Gloucester|