Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is a district in Montreal. Located a ways east of downtown, it features the Olympic Stadium and other major attractions.
This area is served by the Green Line stops between Frontenac and L'Assumption, but Viau and Pie-IX (pronounced "pea-nuf," not "pie nine") will get you to most of the attractions.
From downtown, the Ontario 125 runs along Ontario, veering left to terminate at Viau metro next to the Biodôme. The Sherbrooke 185 picks up from the end of the Sherbrooke 24 at Frontenac metro. The Mont Royal 97 terminates at Pie-IX on the edge of the Botanical Gardens.
Most of the attractions and restaurants are clustered around Sherbrooke between Pie-IX and Viau metro. It's a 20-minute walk from the entrance to the Botanical Gardens to the Biodome. To explore more of Hochelaga, it's a longer trek not served by metro, but there are plenty of buses and taxis.
The 85 Hochelaga runs through the center of Hochelaga from Joliette metro to Honore-Beaugrand, at the end of the Green Line. Pie-IX 139 and Cadillac 32 run from Sherbrooke down to the industrial riverfront.
The big four attractions here, the Olympic Stadium, Insectarium, Jardin Botanique, and Biodôme, can all be covered in one trip, but allow a good four hours.
- 1 Stade olympique (Olympic Stadium), 4141 ave Pierre-de Coubertin (east of boul Pie-IX; metro Pie-IX), toll-free: +1-877-997-0919. Daily 09:00-17:00. Built for the 1976 Montreal Olympics, this amazing and controversial building's tower (from which the roof is suspended) is the world's tallest leaning structure. The roof, which could originally be raised, has been replaced numerous times and is the source of great local controversy. You can take a funicular to the top of the Olympic Tower for an incredible view of the city. Also has a public sports center that includes an Olympic-size swimming pool. The area around the stadium is a mecca for skateboarding, BMX-biking, and even snowboarding. the many slanted walls, hand rails and stairs give participants a concrete playground to entertain themselves.
- 2 Insectarium, 4581 rue Sherbrooke est (between boul Pie-IX and rue Viau; metro Pie-IX or Viau), ☏ +1 514 872-1400. Mid May-early Sep: 09:00-18:00 daily; early Sep-Oct: 09:00-21:00 daily; Nov-mid May: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. The Insectarium is a museum centred on the insect world. A few living specimens and many displays, with occasional special exhibits, sometimes offering visitors the opportunity to eat various insect-based dishes from around the world. price=Adult $21.50, senior $19.25, student $15.50, child 5-17 $10.75, family $59.
- 3 Jardin botanique de Montréal (Montreal Botanical Garden), 4101 rue Sherbrooke est (at boul Pie-IX; metro Pie-IX), ☏ +1 514 872-1400. Mid May-early Sep: 09:00-18:00 daily; early Sep-Oct: 09:00-21:00 daily; Nov-mid May: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. Huge and stunning botanical garden. Its themed gardens include a First Nations (Indigenous) garden, and Japanese, Chinese and Alpine gardens. Home to the annual Chinese lantern festival every autumn. During winter only the greenhouses are open to visitors. Adult $21.50, senior $19.25, student $15.50, child 5-17 $10.75, family $59.
- 4 Biodôme, 4777 ave Pierre-de Coubertin (Metro Viau). Mid Feb-mid June: 09:00-17:00 daily; mid June-early Sep: 09:00-18:00 daily; early Sep-mid Feb: Tu-Su 09:00-18:00. The former Olympic Velodrome is now a showcase of different ecosystems. price=Adult $22, senior $19.25, student $16, child 5-17 $11.75, family $60.75.
- 5 Planétarium Rio Tinto Alcan (Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium), 4801 avenue Pierre-De Coubertin (metro Viau), ☏ +1 514 868-3000. Mid May-early Sep: 09:00-18:00 daily; early Sep-Oct: 09:00-121:00 daily; Nov-mid May: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. Exhibitions on space and astronomy. Free entrance to exhibits. Price for tickets to theatres: Adult $21.50, senior $19.25, student $15.50, child 5-17 $10.75, family $59.
- 6 [dead link] Le Musée du Château Dufresne (Chateau Dufresne Museum), 2929 ave Jeanne-d'Arc (at rue Sherbrooke; metro Pie-IX, bus 97, 139, or 185), ☏ +1 514 259-9201. W-Su 10:00-17:00. $8 adults, $7 students/seniors, $4.50 children 5-17, free children under 5.
- 7 Marché Maisonneuve (Maisonneuve Market), 4445 rue Ontario est (at ave Morgan; metro Pie-IX, bus 125), ☏ +1 514 937-7754. M-W Sa 07:00-18:00, Th F 07:00-20:00, Su 07:00-17:00.
- 1 CF Montréal (Club de Foot Montréal), Stade Saputo, 4750 rue Sherbrooke Est (Métro: VIau), ☏ +1 514-328-3668. Members of Major League Soccer since 2012, and one of three Canadian teams in the otherwise U.S.-based league. While not as widely followed as the Canadiens, CFM (originally the Montreal Impact) are still a major force in the city's sports scene, with routine sellouts of their stadium (which holds a shade under 21,000). Games for which an especially large crowd is expected are played at the Olympic Stadium—typically the home opener, and sometimes major in-season matchups or playoff games. As in several other sports, and in social and cultural matters, the Montreal–Toronto rivalry is present in soccer, with CFM matches against Toronto FC among the highlights of any season.
- Boutique Arhoma, 3349 rue Ontario est, ☏ +1 514-526-4662. Specialized bakery and dairy. Coffee.
- Hoche Café, 4299 rue Ontario Est, ☏ +1 514-419-7997. Specialized coffee shop. Serves breakfast, lunch, drinks and coffee.
- 1 Miami Deli, 3590 rue Sherbrooke est (at rue Moreau; metro Préfontaine, bus 25, 85, or 185), ☏ +1 514 525-0600. Open 24 hours. Wide menu featuring French, Québécois, Italian, Greek and fast food dishes in a bistro setting with cute terrace in the summer. $5-15.
- Cabotins, 4821 rue Sainte-Catherine est (metro Viau), ☏ +1 514 251-8817. $15-30.
- Bistro L'Adresse, 6060 rue Sherbrooke est, ☏ +1 514 252-9014. French bistro $15-30.
- Sata Sushi, 3349 rue Ontario est, ☏ +1 514-510-7282. Trendy sushi restaurant $15-30.
- Bistro Le Valois,
- La Tannerie, 4255 Ontario E
- L'État Major, 4005 Ontario Est
- La Dinette Montréal-Est, 7066 A rue Sherbrooke Est
- Restaurant Cabotins, 4821 rue Sainte-Catherine Est
- Bagatelle Bistro, 4323 Ontario Est
- Chez Bouffe, 4316 Sainte-Catherine Est
- Les Affamés, 4137 rue Ste-Catherine Est
- Café Atomic, 3595 rue Ontario est (between rue Joliette and rue de Chambly; metro Joliette, bus 29 or 125), ☏ +1 514 525-9601. great espresso and delicious snacks in a retro setting
- L'Espace Public, 3632, Ontario Est.
- Le Trèfle, 3971 Rue Ontario E. In an Irish Pub style, taste more than 100 of the finest beers, renowned scotch and a varied and quality bistro menu
- Le Blind Pig , 3890 Rue Ontario Est
- Lapin Blanc, 4456 Rue Sainte-Catherine Est
- Madame Smith, 4061 Rue Ontario E
- 1 Hotel Universel Montreal, 5000 Rue Sherbrooke Est (corner of Sherbrooke and Viau), toll-free: +1-800-567-0223. Check-in: 15:00-00:00, check-out: 05:00-12:00. Located within a 5-minute walk of Olympic Stadium, 10-minute walk of Montreal Biodome botanical garden, and 5 km of downtown Montreal. Hotel offers a full-service spa, indoor pool, seasonal outdoor pool, sauna, gym, jacuzzi, free parking, and bicycle rack. Complimentary shuttle service is available to Viau metro station. Rooms are equipped with a fridge, coffee maker, and cable TV. Some rooms feature views of Olympic Stadium.
- 2 Maison Montplaisir, 1420 Av. Desjardins, ☏ +1 514-708-5580. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. Bed & breakfast.
- 3 Auberge Royal Versailles, 7200 R. Sherbrooke E, ☏ +1 514-256-1613, toll-free: +1-888-832-1416, email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Doubles $117.
- 4 Hôtel Chablis Cadillac, 1b2, 5800 Rue Sherbrooke Est, ☏ +1 514-259-4691, toll-free: +1-800-369-4401. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00.
|Routes through Hochelaga-Maisonneuve|
|Downtown ← Quartier Latin-Le Village ←||W E||→ East End → END|