Monywa is a city in Sagaing Division, Northern Myanmar.
Non air-con bus is available from Mandalay (26th St, near 90th St). Trip takes about 3 hours including one break (20-30 min) for 2,000 kyat. It is probably safer to get the bus from bus station and have your seat booked. Bus appears to be quite frequent.
A local non air-con bus from Bagan leaves at 07:30 and takes about 3-4 hours including several stops. Can be booked at the bus station, and haggling can get the locals' price of 3,000 kyat compared to that 5,000 kyat charged by hotels. The bus can pick you up along the main road.
Tuk-tuks are widely available. A tuk-tuk from the bus station to the city centre shouldn't cost more than 1,000 kyat.
- Boddhi Tataung (4 km from Thanboddhay Pagoda). Two big statues of Buddha and a golden pagoda which makes for a pretty amazing sight. One Buddha is standing and the another is lying on its side. You can enter the inside of the standing Buddha which consists of quite a few storeys. The images on the walls mostly depict visions of hell.
- Thanboddhay Pagoda (About 20 km southeast of Monywa, or about 30-45 min via tuk-tuk). Built between 1939 and 1952, the unique feature of this pagoda is its small sculptures of Buddha (said to be more than 500,000). There is a little tower just opposite the pagoda which can be climbed. USD3.
- Mosquito repellent, there are many many mosquitoes so be prepared. You can buy repellent at every street shop. Odomos mosquito repellent is an Indian generic and costs only 700 kyat for a 100 ml tube.
- Golden Arrow Hotel (In the centre). Rooms look shabby, air-con cannot be adjusted and breakfast consists of cold fried eggs and toast. However the rooms are clean and has a fast Internet connection. =Double room with private bathroom and air-con is USD25 (May 2013).
- Monywa Hotel. Room is not new, though fairly clean and equipped with new air-con. Bathroom is clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. Tuk-tuk ride from bus station to this hotel cost 2,000 kyat. USD35 including breakfast (Feb 2013).
- New hotel between the Clock Tower and Bogyoke Statue. New (May 2013), expensive-looking hotel with promotional offers. Extremely friendly staff. USD20 for a double room.
- Shwe Taung Tarn Guesthouse. Most popular guesthouse for tourists in Monywa. However, the cheapest double rooms are rundown and unclean. No Internet. Cheapest double room with private bath, USD20 (May 2013).