Moscow Central-North is the part of Moscow that's north of the Kremlin, east of Tverskaya Street, north of Pokrova Street, the area within the Boulevard Ring, Krasnoselsky south, Meshchansky south & Tverskoy South raions
There is no intercity bus or train station in this area. See more at Moscow#Get in.
- Chistye Prudy (Чистые Пруды)
- Krasniye Vorota (Красные Ворота)
- Suharevskaya (Сухаревская),
- Turgenev (Тургеневская),
- Kitay-gorod (Китай-Город)
- Kitay-gorod (Китай-Город)
- Kuznetskiy (Кузнецкий Мост)
- Pushkinskaya (Пушкинская)
- Chekhovskaya (Чеховская)
- Tsvetnoi Bulvar (Цветной Бульвар)
- Sretensky Boulevard (Сретенский Бульвар)
- Trubnaya (Трубная)
Tram routes: 7, 37, 45, 50 Trolleybus routes district: 9, 14, 22, 24, 32, 41 Bus routes 40, 122, 783. See more at Moscow Get around chapter.
- 1 Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian in Shubino (Храм Космы и Дамиана в Шубине), Pereulok Stoleshnikov, 2 (Metro: Pushkinskaya 0.5km NW, Okhotnyy Ryad 0.6km SE, Tverskaya 0.6km NW). 1657. Russian Orthodox
- 2 Church of Saint Nicholas in Zvonary (Храм Николая Чудотворца в Звонарях), ulitsa Rozhdestvenka, 15/8 (Metro: Kuznetskiy Most 0.4km S, Trubnaya 0.4km N, Lubyanka 0.6km S). 1781 Russian Orthodox
- 3 Church of Saint Nicholas in Derbenevo (Храм Николая Чудотворца в Дербеневе), Ulanskiy pereulok, 11 (Metro: Chistye Prudy 0.4km S, Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.4km S, Turgenevskaya 0.3km S). 1715. Russian Orthodox
- 4 Church of the Venerable Sergius of Radonezh in Krapivniki (Храм преподобного Сергия Радонежского в Крапивниках), Tverskoy district, Krapivenskiy pereulok, 4 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.3km E, Tsvetnoy Bulvar 0.6km N). 1678 Russian Orthodox
- 5 Church of Saint Louis of France (Храм Святого Людовика Французского), Ulitsa Malaya Lubyanka, 12/7 (Metro: Lubyanka 0.5km SW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.5km W, Chistye Prudy 0.6km NE). 1835 Roman Catholic
- 6 Katholikon of the Sretensky Monastery (Собор Сретения Владимирской иконы Божией Матери в Сретенском монастыре), ulitsa Bolshaya Lubyanka, 19 (Metro: Chistye Prudy 0.6km E, Turgenevskaya 0.5km E, Kuznetskiy Most 0.6km SW). 1679. Russian Orthodox
- 7 Church of Sophia, Wisdom of God, at the Cannon Yard (Храм Софии – Премудрости Божией у Пушечного двора), Meshchansky district,Pushechnaya ulitsa, 15 (Metro: Kuznetskiy Most 0.2km NW, Lubyanka 0.2km SE, Kitay-Gorod or Ploshchad' Revolyutsii 0.6km SE). 1650. Russian Orthodox
- 8 Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Putinki (Храм Успения Пресвятой Богородицы в Путинках), Uspensky Lane 4 (Metro: Pushkinskaya or Chekhovskaya or Tverskaya 0.5km S). 1676. Russian Orthodox
- 9 Nativity Church at Putinki (Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos at Putinki, Це́рковь Рождества́ Богоро́дицы в Пути́нках), Malaya Dimitrovka (ул. Малая Дмитровка), 4? (Metro: Pushkinskaya 230m S, Chekhovskaya 150m SE). 1652. The Church's facades are decorated with pointed kokoshniks, column-type, keel-shaped platbands, and complex broken cornices typical of the 17th century. It consists of six exquisite tented roofs arranged in a highly unusual composition, three of them candle-like tents, placed in a row, crown the church, while its refectory is surmounted by several rows of corbel arches and the fourth tent. The fifth tent is a belltower placed between the church and refectory. The porch also terminates in a pyramidal roof.
- 10 Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Petschatniki (Храм Успения Пресвятой Богородицы в Печатниках), Ulitsa Sretenka, 3 (Metro: Chistye Prudy or Turgenevskaya or Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.6km E, Sukharevskaya 0.6km N). 1695. Russian Orthodox
- 11 Church of the Theotokos icon of the Sign behind the Petrovka Gate (Храм иконы Божией Матери «Знамение» за Петровскими воротами), 1-y Kolobovskiy pereulok, 1 (Metro: Tsvetnoy Bulvar 0.5km NE, Pushkinskaya 0.8km SW). 1679? Russian Orthodox
- 12 Church of the Holy Trinity in Listy (Храм Живоначальной Троицы в Листах), Ulitsa Sretenka, 27 (Metro: Sukharevskaya 0.1km NE, Tsvetnoy Bulvar 0.8km W). 1661. Russian Orthodox
- 13 Nativity Convent (Rozhdestvensky Convent, or the Convent of Nativity of Theotokos, Богородице-Рождественский монастырь), Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka (ул. Рождественка), 20 (Metro: Trubnaya «Трубная» 0.3km NW, Kuznetskiy Most «Кузнецкий мост» 0.5km S, Tsvetnoy Bulvar «Цветной бульвар» 0.7km N), ☏ . Services daily 7:00 & 17:00; Sa,Su 9:00,. One of the oldest nunneries in Moscow. Founded in 1386, probably by Maria of Rostov, mother of Prince Vladimir the Bold. The small katholikon was erected in the last years of Ivan III's reign. This is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Moscow, outside the Kremlin walls. The burial vault of the Lobanov-Rostovsky princely family dates from the 1670s. The divine service was resumed in 1992.
- 14 Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos at the Nativity of the Theotokos Monastery (Храм Рождества Пресвятой Богородицы в Богородице-Рождественском монастыре), ulitsa Rozhdestvenka, 20/8 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.3km NW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.5km S, Tsvetnoy Bulvar 0.7km N). 1505. Russian Orthodox
- 15 Church of the Theotokos icon of Kazan at the Nativity of the Theotokos Monastery (Храм Казанской иконы Божией Матери в Богородице-Рождественском монастыре), Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka, 20/8 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.3km NW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.6km S, Tsvetnoy Bulvar 0.7km N). 1906. Russian Orthodox
- 16 Church of Saint John Chrysostom at the Nativity of the Theotokos Monastery (Храм святителя Иоанна Златоуста в Богородице-Рождественском монастыре), Meshchansky district, Ulitsa Rozhdestvenka, 20/8 (M: Trubnaya 0.3km NW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.5km S, Lubyanka 0.71km S). 1687. Russian Orthodox
- 17 Vysokopetrovsky Monastery (High Monastery of St Peter, Высокопетровский монастырь), Ul. Petrovka (ул. Петровка), 28/2 (Metro: Pushkinskaya 0.7km SW, Chekhovskaya 0.5km W, Trubnaya 0.5km E), ☏ . A Russian Orthodox monastery. Founded in the 1320s. In the late 17th century, the Naryshkin boyars, maternal relatives of Peter the Great, turned the monastery into their family burial place. They had it reconstructed in the Naryshkin Baroque style of architecture. In the mid-18th century, several subsidiary structures were added. Now here find you the Moscow Literature Museum.
- 18 Church of the Theotokos icon of Tolga at the former High Monastery of Saint Peter (Храм Толгской иконы Божией Матери в бывшем Высоко-Петровском монастыре), Ulitsa Petrovka, 28 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.5km NE, Pushkinskaya 0.7km W). 1750. Russian Orthodox
- 19 Cathedral of the Protection of the Theotokos at the former High Monastery of Saint Peter (Храм Покрова Пресвятой Богородицы в бывшем Высоко-Петровском монастыре), Ulitsa Petrovka, 28 (Metro: Chekhovskaya 0.5km W, Pushkinskaya 0.6km SW). 1696. Russian Orthodox
- 20 Church of the Theotokos icon of Bogolyubovo at the former High Monastery of Saint Peter (Храм Боголюбской иконы Божией Матери в бывшем Высоко-Петровском монастыре), Ulitsa Petrovka, 28? (Metro: Trubnaya 0.5km E). 1684. Russian Orthodox
- 21 Church of the Venerable Sergius of Radonezh at the former High Monastery of Saint Peter (Храм преподобного Сергия Радонежского в бывшем Высоко-Петровском монастыре), Tverskoy district, ulitsa Petrovka, 28 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.5km E, Pushkinskaya 0.7km SW). 1702. Russian Orthodox
- 22 Cathedral of the Metropolitan Peter of Moscow at the former High Monastery of Saint Peter (Собор святителя Петра, митрополита Московского, в бывшем Высоко-Петровском монастыре), Tverskoy district, Ulitsa Petrovka, 28/2 (Metro: Trubnaya 0.5km E, Pushkinskaya 0.7km SW). 1517. Russian Orthodox
- 23 State Museum of GULAG History (Государственный музей истории ГУЛАГа), ul Petrovka (ул. Петровка), 16 (Metro: Okhotny Ryad, Theatralna, Ploschad Revolutsii, Kuznetskyi most), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 11AM-7PM; closed last Friday of the month. Relatively small museum of GULAG history. Current exhibit though provides a fascinating look into censorship under Soviet times -- numerous and sometimes-famous doctored photographs are shown side-by-side with the un-doctored originals. 150 руб (free on third Sunday).
- 24 Moscow Museum of Modern Art, Tverskaya distr., Petrovka Street, 25 (Metro: Chekhovskaya 0.5 km (0.31 mi) W, Pushkinskaya 0.6 km (0.37 mi) SW), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Su 12:00–20:00; Th 13:00–21:00. Other units: Ermolaevskiy Lane, 17 (M: Mayakovskaya); Tverskoy Boulevard, 9 (M: Chekhovskaya, Pushkinskaya, Tverskaya); Gogolevskiy Boulevard 10 (M: Kropotkinskaya). - The Petrovka unit is in the former Gubin’s mansion, an imposing monument of the 18th century neoclassical movement. - The highlights include objects and sculpture by Armand, the “Sun Disk” by the famous Italian sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro, the installation “CIS Ant Farm” by the Japanese conceptualist Yukinory Yanagi. The masters such as Pablo Picasso, Fernand Léger, Salvador Dalí, Joan Miró and Rufino Tamayo, are represented by their lithographs. Famous for the collection of Russian avant-garde art. Standard 250 руб, Students 100 руб, Discount 20 руб, free every 3rd Su of the month.
- 25 Lubyanka, the KGB prison (Лубя́нка), Lubyanka Square (Kitay-gorod off, Metro: Lubyanka or Kuznetskiy Most). Open to the public. The Lubyanka is the popular name for the headquarters of the KGB and affiliated prison on Lubyanka Square. It is a large Neo-Baroque building with a facade of yellow brick designed by Alexander V. Ivanov in 1897 and augmented by Aleksey Shchusev from 1940 to 1947. Today headquarters of the Border Guard Service of Russia, and houses the Lubyanka prison and one directorate of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation (FSB). In addition a museum of the KGB (now called Историко-демонстрационный зал ФСБ России, Historical-demonstration hall of the Russian FSB) was opened.
- Vasnetsova House-Museum (Дом-музей Васнецова В.М.), Meshchansky District,.
- Schepkina House-Museum (Дом-музей Михаила Семёновича Щепкина), Meshchansky District, Ul. Schepkina (Щепкина ул.), 47, ☏ . W-Su 12.00-19.00.
- Catherine's Institute, Meshchansky District,. present-day House of Culture of Russian Army
- Mariinsky Hospital, Meshchansky District, Dostoyevsky Street 2. Birthplace of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and 1918 monument to Dostoyevsky
- Alexander's Institute, Dostoyevsky Street 4. Also a public hospital
- 26 Tsentrosoyuz Building (Centrosoyuz Building, Центросоюз), Myasnitskaya Street, 39 (Metro: Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.3km SW, Chistye Prudy 0.4km SW, Turgenevskaya 0.4km SW, Krasnye Vorota 0.6km E). A government complex, constructed in 1933 by Le Corbusier and Nikolai Kolli. Centrosoyuz refers to a Soviet bureaucracy, the Central Union of Consumer Cooperatives. The building included office space for 3,500 personnel, as well as a restaurant, lecture halls, a theater, and other facilities. Now it is the home of Goskomstat, the Russian State Committee for Statistics. - The project applied on larger scale Le Corbusier’s architectural principles: pilotis, curtain-wall façade, free floor plan, ribbon windows and flat roof. The glass façade was intended to include an innovative heating and ventilation system. A fine piece of Constructivist architecture.
- Monument to Alexander Pushkin Памятник А.С. Пушкину, Tverskoy District
- Yury Dolgoruky Monument Памятник Юрию Долгорукому, Tverskoy District
- Monument to Cyril and Methodius " Памятник Кириллу и Мефодию», Tverskoy District
- 1 Bolshoi Theatre (Большо́й теа́тр), Tverskoy District, Teatralnaya Square 1 (Metro: Ohotnii Ryad, Teatralnaya or Ploshad Revolutsii), ☏ . The grand theatre in the center of the city. Includes ballet, opera, and classical music performances. Tickets usually sell out well in advance. You do not need to dress up to attend. Tickets 5000-15000 руб.
- 2 Nikulin Circus (цирк Никулин), Tsvetnoi Bulevard, 11-13 (metro Tsvetnoi Bulvar), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Opened on 20 October 1880 as the Salamonsky Circus. There is a statue of Nikulin in front of the circus building. From 200 руб.
- 3 Novaia Opera (New opera, Московский театр Новая Опера им. Е. В. Колобова), Ulitsa Karetnyy Ryad, 3 (in the Hermitage gardens), ☏ . Box office: 11:00-20:00, performances at 12:00 & 19:00. 400-2500 руб.
- 4 Lenkom Theatre former Moscow State Theatre named after Lenin's Komsomol. (Моско́вский госуда́рственный теа́тр и́мени Ле́нинского Комсомо́ла), Ulitsa Malaya Dmitrovka (ул. Малая Дмитровка), 6 (Metro "Tverskaya", "Pushkinskaya", "Chekhov" or trolley 3.). Cash desk, daily 11:30-15:00, 16:00-19:30. It was built in 1907 to house a Merchant's Club, and was home to many theatrical and musical performances. Over its 80-year career, Lenkom has been a forerunner of new, fresh and exprimental theatre.
- Theatre "Lenk" Театр «Ленком» , Tverskoy District
- Theater "Russian" Театр «Россия», Tverskoy District
- Ekaterininsky Park (Екатерининский парк), Meshchansky District,.
- Public garden at Riga station (Сквер у Рижского вокзала), Meshchansky District,.
- Festivalny park (Фестивальный парк), Meshchansky District,.
- Aptekarsky Ogorod Botanical Garden, Moscow State University (Ботанический сад МГУ "Аптекарский огород"), Meshchansky District,.
- 5 Moscow Hermitage Garden (Сад «Эрмитаж»), Tverskoy District, Karetny Ryad Street (Каретный Ряд), 3 (Metro: Pushkinskaya 0.7km S, Chekhovskaya 0.6km S, Mayakovskaya 0.8km W), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. It is known for its cultural attractions and adjacent theatres. Regular events include opera, ballet and concerts. The Novaya Opera, Hermitage and Sphera theatres are located in the Hermitage Garden. Since 1998, in summer the Garden is a traditional venue for the Moscow International Outdoor Jazz Festival – “Jazz at the Hermitage Garden”
- 1 Detskiy Mir – Children's World (Детский мир на Лубянской площади) (Metro: Lubyanka), toll-free: 800 250-00-00. Daily 10:00-22:00. Has lots of toys but other stores selling books, DVDs, and Peruvian souvenirs. Again, even if you do not buy anything, its worth going to explore this building. Now this building is subject to be closed for "renovation", which will probably kill the remnants of architectural and historical attraction of this building, equalling it to regular malls like Evropeiskiy or MEGA. Nevertheless, "Detskiy Mir" extended its network to almost Soviet-era scales, having outlets of different size (but vast choice of children's goods anyway) in many malls in Moscow and other major cities of Russia.
- 2 Moscow TSUM (Tsentralnyi Universalnyi Magazin, or Central Department Store, ЦУМ – Центральный Универсальный Магазин), Ul.Petrovka (ул. Петровка),2, ☏ , toll-free: 800 500 8000, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10:00-22:00, Su 11:00-22:00. Built in 1857 by "Muir & Mirrielees" - a trading company founded by Scottish entrepreneurs. The building was itself a landmark - designed by the famous architect Roman Klein, it was the first store in Moscow with elevators. Today, the store sells more than 400 world brands of anything from apparel to perfume.
- 3 Petrovsky Passage department store (Петровский Пассаж), Petrovka Street. Built in 1906. The engineer Vladimir Shukhov, also responsible for the GUM and the Shabolovka tower, designed a covered arcade with two wide three-storey galleries covered with high-pitched semi-cylindrical glass vaulting. The second storeys of opposite galleries are connected by exquisitely designed ferroconcrete catwalks. Very expensive.
- 1 Piccolino, 1-Y Kolobovskiy Pereulok 11, ☏ . Daily noon-midnight. Casual Italian restaurant with cosy familial surroundings.
- 2 Uzbekistan (Узбекистан), Tverskaya, Neglinnaya St 29, ☏ . Daily noon-midnight. Beautifully-decorated Uzbek restaurant, English spoken.
- 3 LavkaLavka, Petrovka Street, 21, ☏ . Tu-Su noon-midnight, M 6PM-midnight. Modern twist on traditional Russian cuisine with a 'farm to table' philosophy.
- Darbars Indian restaurant, Prospekt Mira, 79, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. It is a bit aside from the city-center, but has a very good location with a panoramic view over the city. The cuisine is authentic; arguably it's the best Indian restaurant in Moscow. Staff speak English. Also a great place to watch the salute away from the crowds. 2500 руб for two.
- Jaws Spot, Nikolskaya 25 (Kitay Gorod), ☏ . A craft beer bar overlooking the former KGB headquarters.
All hotels and hostels offer free WiFi and many have computer terminals. Almost all accept credit cards. Hotels and hostels will usually provide a visa invitation and registration for an additional fee.
- 1 Godzillas Hostel Moscow, Bolshoi Karetnyy 6 (Metro: Tsvetnoi Boulevard), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. One of the oldest and most popular hostels in Moscow, in the quiet area close to the Circus, Museum of Modern art and Petrovsky monastery. Newly renovated. Dormitory rooms as well as private rooms are available. Dorm bed: 700 руб+; Double: 2100 руб.
- 2 Sukharevka Hostel, Bol'shaya Sukharevskaya Ploshchad', 16 (Metro: Sukharevska), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Dorm bed: 400 руб; Single: 1600 руб; Double: 1800 руб.
- 3 Otel' Na Tsvetnom, Tsvetnoy Bulvar, 25 (Metro: Tsvetnoy Bulvar 150m, Trubnaya 550 m, Sukharevskaya 800m), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. All rooms have air-conditioner, a plasma TV with cable, a telephone, and private toilet and shower. Some of its amenities include dry cleaning/laundry and massage service. Weekend: From 2500 руб; Weekday: From 4800 руб.
- Courtyard Moscow City Center, Voznesenskiy per., 7, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Can be noisy during conferences.
- 4 Petrovka Loft, Petrovka 17/2, 41 (Kuznetskiy Most 305 m NE, Teatralnaya 350 m S,Pushkinskaya 1.0 km NW and Tverskaya.), ☏ , fax: . Luxury budget hotel. From 1800 руб with advance purchase.
- 5 Ulanskaya, Ulanskiy pereulok (Уланский переулок) 16, bld.1A (metro «Chistye Prudy» 500m S, metro «Sukharevskaya» 450m W.), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms have LCD TV with local and international channels. Includes restaurant and bar, and room service. Single: 6500 руб; Double: 8600 руб.
- Four Seasons Hotel Moscow, Ulitsa Okhotnyy Ryad, 2, Tverskoy District. This place is great for when you're wanting to spend insane amounts of money. +7 499 277-71-00