events which primarily involve the use of motorized vehicles
Motor sport includes car and motorcycle racing for spectators. There are motor sport events at all levels, from international series such as the Formula One, to casual amateur contests.
- Dakar Rally, a famous off-road race, formerly ran from Paris to Dakar, but since 2009 has been held in South America.
- Formula One (often called "F1") is the world's most viewed motor sport circuit.
- IndyCar is roughly the US equivalent to F1, racing similar open-wheel cars. However, many of its races are on oval tracks, which F1 does not use.
- MotoGP is equivalent to F1 for motorcycle racing.
- NASCAR is the governing body for American stock car racing, which uses cars more similar in appearance to regular street vehicles and races almost exclusively on oval tracks. Its top-level Cup Series is the most popular form of motorsport in the US, especially in the southeastern states. Note also that one of its racing series uses pickup trucks instead of cars.
- The Supercars Championship takes place in Australia but also includes one race in New Zealand. It's a touring car series. Americans: think NASCAR, but run only on road courses. Europeans: think of it as an Australian equivalent to the German-based DTM series.
- World Rally Championship
- Motorcycle speedway involves motorcycles racing around an oval-shaped track.