Moundsville, West Virginia, is a city in Ohio Valley. It is the county seat of Marshall County.
It was originally chartered in 1832. It is the location of Grave Creek Mound and three other Adena Indian Mounds. Moundsville is located in a very historic part of West Virginia and has a beautiful downtown and parks.
Located on WV Route 2, very close to the Ohio River.
- 1 Moundsville Bridge. The closest bridge in the area that cross the Ohio river.
- 1 Grave Creek Mound, 801 Jefferson Ave (Adjacent to the Delf Nora Museum.), ☏ . 24/7. Archeology Complex, Jefferson Ave. One of the largest and most famous conical burial mounds built by the Adena Indians, built between 250 to 150 BC. It is measured 69 feet high and 295 feet in diameter at its base.
- 2 Delf Nora Museum, Jefferson Ave (Adjacent to the Grave Creek Mound.). Explains aspects of Adena native american culture.
- 3 Marshall County Courthouse.
- Marx Toy Museum, 915 Second St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. In Moundsville. Open 11AM to 5PM Thursday through Sunday, April through December. Dedicated to preserving the beauty and the history of Marx toys, owned and operated by a private collector. Gift shop on-site. Admission $6.50.
- Fostoria Glass Museum (6th Street at Tomlinson Avenue), ☏ . Open 1 to 4PM Wednesday through Saturday; closed December through February.. Dedicated to the products of Fostoria Glass, which moved to Moundsville in 1891 until it was forced to close in 1986.
- Grand Vue Park, 250 Trail Drive, ☏ (ext. 403).
- 4 Prabhupada's Palace of Gold, 3759 McCrearys Ridge Rd, ☏ .
- West Virginia Penitentiary, 818 Jefferson Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Strand Theatre, 811 5th St, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 West Virginia Penitentiary Tours (Moundsville State Penitentiary), 818 Jefferson Ave, ☏ . April through NovemberTu-Su 10AM-4PM. Day tours offered hourly (arrive 15 minutes early), night tours available from midnight to 6AM for groups of 20 people or more, and ghost hunts with a qualified paranormal investigator available periodically from 8PM to 6AM.. Completed in 1876 and operating as a maximum-security prison until 1995, the penitentiary has a violent and bloody history, as well as reportedly one of the highest levels of paranormal activity in the United States. $50 for ghost tours, $15 for dungeon of horrors. Admission $500 for group night tours. Ghost hunting classes also available..
- Elizabethtown Festival, est Virginia Penitentiary, 818. W Jefferson Avenue in Moundsville, +1 304-845-6200. Held in mid-May. Celebrating the traditions and customs of the 1800s, with turn-of-the-century crafts, educational exhibits, live entertainment, cook-offs, children's activities and a talent show.
- Mound Motel, 112 Lafayette Ave, ☏ . 10 rooms.
- Terrace Motel, 1 Bridgeview Plaza, ☏ .
- Plaza Motel, 1400 Lafayette Ave, ☏ .
- 1 Moundsville Post Office.