In Tamil language, Mudu means old, malai means mountain. Thus the word Mudumalai stands for Old mountain.
Hilly terrain with slopes.
Flora and faunaEdit
There is a variety of flora and fauna. Mudumalai National Park is one of the highest density of animals in India. Teak forests are found in most of the areas of the national park.
The climate is hotter than Ooty. Some parts of Mudumalai National Park comes under Rain-shadow region. Dry weather prevails during the summer months.
The nearest city is Gudalur.
- Mudumalai is accessible via the NH - 67
- 93 km from Mysore
- 35 km from Ooty (shortest route with dangerous curves)
- 67 km from Ooty (Ooty - Gudalur - Mysore Highway)
- 3 km from Gudalur (National Park limit begins)
- 17 km from Gudalur to reach Theppakadu
Fees and permitsEdit
Tamil Nadu Forest Department runs a Tourist Dormitory namely Peacock Dormitory at Kargudi, a tribal village 3 km away from Theppakadu on the way to Gudalur.
It's good to have your own vehicle. Another choice is to hire a four-wheel-drive.
- Needle rock view point (10 km from Gudalur on the way to Ooty)
- frog hill view point (12 km from Gudalur on the way to Ooty)
- Chandanamalai temple (around 15 km from Gudalur in O'valley road)
- spices gardens
- genepool garden
- nature trek
Enjoy the panoramic scenery.
Singara Hydro-power station is 6 km from Masinagudi.
You can go for an elephant safari there and also have a jungle safari organised by the forest department.
You can volunteer at local animal welfare charity IPAN, staying at their project or nearby in Masinagudi town  [dead link].
Nilgiris district is declared as plastic-free zone. It is better to avoid plastic carry bags.
Spices, tea dust, coffee powder, handicrafts
Hill products, honey, Eucalyptus oils Jackfruit, mango. Gudalur is best to purchase tea pockets with a cheap rate.
For a pure vegetarian people, there are some problem.
- Greenwoods Nature Camp, Thorapally, Mudmalai (2.5 km off Ooty Mysore Highway), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 11:30AM, check-out: 11:00AM. Offers accommodation, Jeep safari, camp fire, trekking. ₹750 to ₹2500.
- Jungle Home, Mudumalai Border, Thorapally, Gudalur Road (10 km from Mudumalai forest office, on the gudalur road), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. ₹1200 to ₹2500 per person including all three meals and accommodation.
- Rockgardens holiday resorts, Mudumalai
Bull elephants are a problem around Masinagudi, so be careful when trekking. Blood sucking insects are also found during the rainy season in the densely forested areas. It is advisable to wear shoes while walking in the forest area.