This district, comprising of the suburbs of Chembur, Mankhurd, Govandi, and Trombay were in the 1950s, considered the poorer cousins of the Western and Central Suburbs. This area is now very busy, being the freeway entrance to Pune and southern India. It is home to the Bhabha Atomic Research Center, several petroleum refineries and a chemical fertilizer factory which used to be (but is no longer) famous for its pollution.
This area is home to many educational institutes, including the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, International Institute for Population Sciences and many private colleges of engineering. The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is located in Trombay.
Three stations on the Harbour line of Bombay's suburban rail network serve this area: Chembur, Mankhurd, and Govandi. Arriving from South Mumbai, the best place to catch the train is at Bombay CST, which is the starting point for Harbour (as well as Central) lines. For virtually anywhere else on the Central line, Kurla is the interchange point. The harbour line goes all the way up to Navi Mumbai, so if you are arriving from there, catching a train from Vashi or any other station on that line will also work.
The Eastern Express Highway has many exits that you can take to reach this area.
The Chembur area has gardens like the Diamond garden (a.k.a. N G Acharya garden), Sandu garden and Ambedkar garden.
- Raj Kapoor Studios.
- Acres Lifestyle Club, 411-B, Hemu Kalani Marg,. For non-members also. Activities like Bowling, Pool, Video Games etc at their gaming arcade. They also have go-karting, cricket etc
- Bombay Presidency Golf Club Limited, Dr. Choitram Gidwani Road, Chembur, Mumbai 400 074, ☏ , , fax: . There are two golf clubs in Mumbai; this is the more famous one.
- 1 Chembur Gymkhana, 16th Road, Chembur, Mumbai 400 071, ☏ . For members only. 79 ft. x 45 ft. Swimming Pool, Two cafeterias by different contractors, Gymnasium, Tennis Courts, Indoor Badminton, Has 62,957 sq.ft(1.445 acre) ground used for cricket and seasonal wedding parties.
- K-star Mall (Near Diamond Garden). Has a Food Bazaar and a multiplex cinema
- Shoppers Stop, Amar Mahal.
- All Spice (Acres Lifestyle Club).
- Ambrosia- the bake shop (Near Diamond Garden, Next to Bhari petrol pump).
- Barista, near Diamond Garden. Branch of the Barista Coffee Chain.
- Le Cafe (Hotel Jewel of Chembur).
- Cafe Coffee Day, Next to Hotel Grand Central.
- Croissants Etc. (Diamond Garden).
- Hotel Grand Central, near Chembur Station. Must try their Butter Chicken for which the restaurant is really popular. Serves both Indian and Chinese. Has a Cafe Coffee Day and Baskin Robins attached.
- Kingfisher, MacDonalds and Dominos (K Stars mall).
- The Royal Orchid. Italian, Chinese, Indian
- Tastings, near Diamond Garden. Ice Cream parlour that's a popular place amongst locals to hang out.
- Astrix (Hotel Jewel of Chembur).
- Oasis, Deonar.
- Wild Orchid, Royal Orchid Hotel, N.G. Acharya Marg..
- Hotel Pearl, 19th Road Corner, D.K Sandu Marg, Chembur, Mumbai 400 071, ☏ , . Check-in: 24 hours, check-out: 24 hours. ₹1100.
- Hotel Rajhans, Opp.Chembur Rly.Station Chembur, Mumbai-400071, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Provides complimentary continental breakfast and has a restaurant "Ornament" and a wine bar.
- Royal Orchid Hotel, 83 AN.G. Acharya Marg, Chembur, Mumbai 400071, ☏ .