Legend of the Two Brothers
According to legend, Nacogdoches was founded by one of two brothers, son of a Caddo chief who lived along the Sabine River. One day, he sent the brothers away, one of them three nights to the west, where he founded Nacogdoches, and the other three nights to the east, where he founded Natchitoches, in modern-day Louisiana. The spelling difference in the two is attributed to Spanish versus French transliteration.
After periodic settlement dating back 10,000 years, Nacogdoches first became a permanent village around 1300, settled by the mound-building Caddo people. After Europeans began exploring the area, Nacogdoches was an important trading post for French and Spanish pioneers. Permanent Spanish presence began here in 1716 with the establishment of a mission, and the city remained the most important city in East Texas for over a hundred years. In its history it has flown the flags of three abortive republics in addition to the six flags that have flown over the rest of Texas.
US 259 south of Longview.
Greyhound buses stop at 4010 South St.
Public transportation is available, but very limited. On demand and scheduled trips are possible through the Brazos District transit authority.
La Calle del Norte
La Calle del Norte, now called North Street, runs through the center of town and is thought to be the oldest street in the United States, as it connected Nacogdoches with other Indian communities as many as 750 years ago.
- Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens, 304 North St. An 1830s farmstead, blacksmith shop, and smokehouse. The house is the second-oldest extant structure in town. Free tours.
- Millard's Crossing Historic Village, 6020 North St. A reconstructed historic 19th century village.
- Oak Grove Cemetery, 200 E. Main. Resting place of four signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and a number of other Texan historical figures.
- Old Nacogdoches University Building. Mounds at Hughes. Built in 1845, this is the only surviving structure of a university commissioned by the Republic of Texas. It now houses a museum with relics of the period.
- Old North Church. Off US 59 just north of town. Believed to be the oldest union church in Texas. The present building was constructed in 1852.
- Old Stone Fort. On the Stephen F. Austin University campus. Reconstruction, using the original stones, of the Spanish fort built here in 1779.
- Sterne-Hoya House Museum and Library, 211 S. Lanana. The oldest standing structure in town, constructed in 1830, once served as a meeting place for famous historical figures like Sam Houston and Davy Crockett. Free tours.
- Lanana Creek Trail. From Liberty Hall on East Main. This 2.5 mile trail was once an Indian footpath.
- Casa Tomas Restaurant, 1514 North St, ☏ . Good Mexican food at relatively low prices.
- Sports Shack Bar & Grill, 4601 North St, ☏ . The Shack Attack is a well known drink, ordered by the pitcher.
- Fredonia Hotel, 200 N Fredonia St, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 3625 South St, ☏ . An above-average location for this chain. Free hot breakfast.
- Holiday Inn Express, 3807 South St, ☏ .
Bed and breakfastsEdit
Nacogdoches has a lot of historic homes, many of which have been converted into bed and breakfast accommodations.
- Brick House Inn, 522 Virginia Ave, ☏ . The first brick building in town, built in 1886. No children or pets. $110 to $125.
- Haden Edwards Inn, 106 N Lanana St, ☏ . Built around 1840, with a second Victorian-style floor added in the 1890s. $119-$149.
- Hardeman Guest House, 316 N Church St, ☏ . 5 room home built in 1896.
- Jones House Bed And Breakfast, 141 N Church St, ☏ . Victorian mansion finished in 1897. Rooms $85 and up.
- Stag Leap Retreat, 2219 FM 2782, ☏ . 6 individual cabins on 200 wooded acres. Many outdoor sports and activities are available. Prices for doubles range from $110 to $150 depending on the cabin.
- CPU Internet Cafe, 3500 North Street, +1 936 560-4477.
|Routes through Nacogdoches|
|Houston ← Lufkin ←||S N||→ Carthage → Marshall|
|Bryan-College Station ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ becomes → Many → Natchitoches|