Nakuru is the administrative and economical headquarters of Nakuru County. Conveniently situated between Nairobi and Western Kenya, it also serves as a transit city for many travellers. Nakuru is the fourth largest city in Kenya after Kisumu City.
L. Nakuru airstrip is available for landing.
There is only one train line. however it has not been operating for some years now.
From Nairobi, the 158-km (100-mile) journey would take approximately 2 hours. The newly renovated roads can be dangerous as not all sections have dual carriageways. The scenery is beautiful, from Nairobi you will see the Great Rift Valley below from the highway. from Nakuru to Kericho it is 108 km, from Nakuru to Nyahururu it is 65 km and from Nakuru to Eldoret it is 156 km.
By bus and shuttleEdit
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle, Crossroads, 2NK shuttle offer 9-seater up to 14 seater minivan services to Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret.
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle cost Ksh 500 from Nakuru to Nairobi. and is known for its excellent service and security. It has only 10 seats per minivan. Takes 3 hours.
- The large bus companies Easy coach & Modern Coast Express have Nairobi to Kampala coaches which stop in Nakuru. Busways have booking offices opposite the mosque.
- Easy Coach & Modern Coast Express has buses to Nairobi 3 hours. Eldoret 3 hours. Kisumu 3 hours.
- There are also buses going to/from Kericho, Nyahururu and Kisii.
- The large bus fare from Nakuru to Nairobi (Oct 2015) is Ksh 400.
Lake Nakuru National Park is home to the famous pink flamingoes. It also offers viewing of various other species of animals and birds.
Menengai Crater is a dormant volcanoes that still spews out smoke. A view from the edge of the crater is a must.
You can visit the lake Nakuru National Park which is near by or get inside the malls.
Visit a game of Rugby at Nakuru Athletics Club on a Saturday at 2PM and 4PM.
- Westside Mall, Kenyatta Aveune, ☏ . 9am-9pm. Has a supermarket and a food court.
- Ecobank, Club Road (Elgon House), ☏ . 24 hour. Has a no fee Master Card/Visa Card ATM
- Naivas Supermarket, old Nairobi Road Milimani Estate. 8AM-9PM.
- Choppies Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-9PM.
- Tuskys Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-8PM.
- Equity Bank, West Road (Westside mall). 24 hours. Has a no fee Mastercard/Visa card ATM.
- Ribbons, Mburu Gichua Rd. African food for around Ksh 100-150 per course.
- Taidys (Mburu Gichua road at the south end by the roundabout.). A mix of African and Western food. Pizza Ksh 300, most courses a little less.
- Merica Hotel (West end of Kenyatta Avenue). Western food in an upmarket hotel. Meals for around Ksh 500, they also have a pool you can use for Ksh 300.
Local drinks (Tusker)from the local bars, pops are available.
- Blue Magic bar and lounge (Blue Magic bar and lounge), Kiti,mawanga. (Taxi, motorbike, tuktuk), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-midnight. Local and international quality drinks all at affordable prices. Wide variety of whiskeys, vodkas, brandy and beer. A place you definitely want to visit and share the experience with friendly staff and clientelle. US$10.
There are a great many budget hotels available in Nakuru, many are within 5 minutes walking distance from the Matatu station.
- Nakuru Backpackers Hostel, Oginga Odinga Aveune, ☏ . Check-in: 24hr, check-out: 10AM. Hostel with a bar and hot showers. Ksh 1000 per person.
- Shik Park view Hotel, Kenyatta Ave (Right at the start of Kenyatta Ave when coming from the Matatu station.), ☏ . The cheapest are very small rooms with bathroom, reasonably clean, with mosquito nets, and good security. Downstairs is a restaurant and a quiet bar. Ksh 1000.
- New Mount Sinai Hotel, Bazar road. Has single and double rooms. from Ksh 1,000.
- Care Guest House, Pandhit Nehru road (very near new mount sinai hotel), ☏ . Single/double room with own bathrooms. From Ksh 1000.
- Joska Hotel, Pandhit Nehru road (near the care guest house), ☏ . Single/double rooms From Ksh 1000.
- Carnation Hotel, Mosque Road, ☏ . Single/double rooms. Ksh 1,550.
- Salama Resort, Market road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10AM. Double room with own bathroom and mosquito net, TV, free breakfast. Ksh 1000.
- Kaka Guest House, Mosque Road. Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 10AM. Double rooms with own bathrooms and TV. Ksh 1,000.
- Pekars Lodge, Mburu Gichua Road. Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 10AM. Double rooms with own bathrooms, TV, free Wi-fi, free buffet breakfast. Ksh 1,150.
- Rhino Campsite, Off Kabatini Road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10PM. Camping in rhino campsite tent. US$13 for two persons..
- Amigos Guest House, Gusil Road.
- Tropical Vlley Lodge, Moi Road..
- Amoodis B&L, Nehru Road, ☏ . Double room with hot water bathrooms. from Ksh 1000.
- Avenue Suites, Kenyatta Avenue., ☏ . Single/double rooms with own hot water bathroom, nets. From Ksh 1,400.
- Pivot Lodge, Lower Factory Road, ☏ . Single/double rooms with own hot water bathroom, nets, DSTV. From Ksh 1,500.
- Pandoria Hotel, Mosque Road (has six floors.). Double room with own hot water bathroom, views over the lake. Ksh 1000.
- Kivu Retreat Resort (out side the center close to entrance of NP.). Camping/double room with own bathroom. Swimming pool. Ksh 600-1000.
- El mawanga bar and lodge (El mawanga bar and lodge) (Taxi, motorbike), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Bar and lodge away from the town center. Safe, secure and affordable. Staff is very courteous. US$10.
- 1 [dead link] Chester Hotel, General Kariba Street, near Moi Rd (100 metres west of Afraha Stadium), ☏ . Check-out: 10AM. Clean, secure, and comfortable hotel with pleasant staff. Wireless internet in lobby, good restaurant. US$40/single, $60/double, $85/triple.
At the Westside Mall (intersection Kenyatta Ave and West Road) is a Java Coffee (like Starbucks) with free Wifi and good coffee. There are also many "Cyber" (internet cafes) all over down town.
Nakuru is safe to walk around during daytime. In the evening, Bazaar Road and the small side lanes don't feel too safe anymore. After 11PM the night security guards in front of the banks on main Kenyatta Road start to fall asleep and nobody seems to walk on the streets anymore.