Nakuru is a city in the Southern Rift Valley region of Kenya.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Nakuru is the administrative and economical headquarters of Nakuru County. Sitting between Nairobi and Western Kenya, it also serves as a transit city for many travellers. Nakuru is the fourth largest city in Kenya after Kisumu City.
L. Nakuru airstrip is available for landing.
Passenger services from Nairobi and Kisumu resumed in 2021. Rehabilitation on the line from the border with Uganda via Eldoret is ongoing and passenger services is expected to commence in 2022.
- 1 Nakuru railway station.
From Nairobi, the 158-km (100-mile) journey would take approximately 2 hours. The roads can be dangerous as not all sections have dual carriageways. The scenery is beautiful, from Nairobi you will see the Great Rift Valley below from the highway. To Nakuru from Kericho it is 108 km, from Nyahururu it is 65 km, and from Eldoret it is 156 km.
By bus and shuttleEdit
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle, Crossroads, 2NK shuttle offer 9-seater up to 14 seater minivan services to Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret.
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle cost Ksh 500 from Nakuru to Nairobi. and is known for its excellent service and security. It has only 10 seats per minivan. Takes 3 hours.
- The large bus companies Easy Coach & Modern Coast Express have Nairobi to Kampala coaches which stop in Nakuru. Busways have booking offices opposite the mosque.
- Easy Coach & Modern Coast Express has buses from Nairobi 3 hours, Eldoret 3 hours, Kisumu 3 hours.
- There are also buses going from Kericho, Nyahururu and Kisii.
- The large bus fare from Nakuru to Nairobi (Oct 2015) is Ksh 400.
Lake Nakuru National Park is home to the famous pink flamingoes. It also offers viewing of various other species of animals and birds. Menengai Crater is a dormant volcanoes that still spews out smoke. A view from the edge of the crater is a must.
- 1 Hyrax Hill Prehistoric Site and Museum. A major site of Neolithic and Iron Age findings in Kenya, includes a museum.
You can visit the Lake Nakuru National Park which is nearby or get inside the malls. Visit a game of rugby at Nakuru Athletics Club on a Saturday at 2PM and 4PM.
- Westside Mall, Kenyatta Aveune, ☏ +254 717333813. 9AM-9PM. Has a Naivas supermarket and a food court.
- Ecobank, Club Road (Elgon House), ☏ +254 20-2883000. 24 hour. Has a no-fee Master Card/Visa Card ATM.
- Naivas Supermarket, old Nairobi Road Milimani Estate. 8AM-9PM.
- Quick Mart Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-9PM.
- Clean Self Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-8PM.
- Equity Bank, West Road (Westside mall). 24 hours. Has a no fee Mastercard/Visa card ATM.
- Ribbons, Mburu Gichua Rd. African food for around Ksh 100-150 per course.
- Taidys (Mburu Gichua road at the south end by the roundabout.). A mix of African and Western food. Pizza Ksh 300, most courses a little less.
- Merica Hotel (Wwst end of Kenyatta Avenue). Western food in an upmarket hotel. Meals for around Ksh 500, they also have a pool you can use for Ksh 300.
Local drinks (Tusker) from the local bars, pops are available.
- Blue Magic bar and lounge (Blue Magic bar and lounge), Kiti,mawanga. (Taxi, motorbike, tuktuk), ☏ +254 722437761, email@example.com. 10AM-midnight. Local and international quality drinks all at affordable prices. Wide variety of whiskeys, vodkas, brandy and beer. A place you definitely want to visit and share the experience with friendly staff and clientelle. US$10.
There are a great many budget hotels available in Nakuru, many are within 5 minutes walking distance from the Matatu station.
- Shik Park view Hotel, Kenyatta Ave (Right at the start of Kenyatta Ave when coming from the Matatu station.), ☏ +254 20 2614381. The cheapest are very small rooms with bathroom, reasonably clean, with mosquito nets, and good security. Downstairs is a restaurant and a quiet bar. Ksh 1000.
- Care Guest House, Pandhit Nehru road (very near new mount sinai hotel), ☏ +254 721636447. Single/double room with own bathrooms. From Ksh 1000.
- Carnation Hotel, Mosque Road, ☏ +254 51 2215360. Single/double rooms. Ksh 1,550.
- Salama Resort, Market road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10AM. Double room with own bathroom and mosquito net, TV, free breakfast. Ksh 1000.
- Kaka Guest House, Mosque Road. Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 10AM. Double rooms with own bathrooms and TV. Ksh 1,000.
- Pekars Lodge, Mburu Gichua Road. Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 10AM. Double rooms with own bathrooms, TV, free Wi-fi, free buffet breakfast. Ksh 1,150.
- Rhino Campsite, Off Kabatini Road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 10PM. Camping in rhino campsite tent. US$13 for two persons..
- Avenue Suites, Kenyatta Avenue., ☏ +254 51-2210607. Single/double rooms with own hot water bathroom, nets. From Ksh 1,400.
- Pivot Lodge, Lower Factory Road, ☏ +254 714-471111. Single/double rooms with own hot water bathroom, nets, DSTV. From Ksh 1,500.
- Pandoria Hotel, Mosque Road (has six floors.). Double room with own hot water bathroom, views over the lake. Ksh 1000.
- Kivu Retreat Resort (out side the center close to entrance of NP.). Camping/double room with own bathroom. Swimming pool. Ksh 600-1000.
- 1 Premier lodge, ☏ +254710119592. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Wifi. Parking. Rooms with mosquito net and bathroom/hot shower. Cafe with simple food on site. Have power generator, but it is used only in the morning/at night during longer outages. 600-1000 Ksh.
- 2 Yara Airbnbs (Mashi Airbnbs) (Opposite Nakuru Athletics Club Gray Gate), ☏ +254799134471, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 0001, check-out: 1100. One and Two bedroom furnished homes. 3000.
- 3 Chester Hotel, General Kariba Street, near Moi Rd (100 metres west of Afraha Stadium), ☏ +254 020-2327654. Check-out: 10AM. Clean, secure, and comfortable hotel with pleasant staff. Wireless internet in lobby, good restaurant. US$40/single, $60/double, $85/triple.
At the Westside Mall (intersection Kenyatta Ave and West Road) is a Java Coffee (like Starbucks) with free Wifi and good coffee. There are also many "Cyber" (internet cafes) all over down town.