Though the older people speak Cantonese (白话 báihuà), the younger generation mainly speak Mandarin (普通话 pǔtōnghuà). Nanning is regarded as one of the most successful cities in China in terms of popularizing Mandarin or 'common language'. So it is a very good place to learn Putonghua. Universities offering Chinese courses are many, including Guangxi University for Nationalities and Guangxi University. However, be aware that Nanning people, like virtually all Chinese in the south, have a non-standard pronunciation for many of the basic sounds of Mandarin (which comes from the northern Han people). The local dialect of Cantonese has a distinctive accent that is noticeably different from standard Cantonese, though it will still be largely comprehensible to fluent speakers of standard Cantonese.
Nanning, as the capital of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, embraces the Zhuang ethnic language, and virtually all public building signs in Guangxi display the Zhuang written text alongside Chinese. It is not to be confused with pinyin, the romanized phonetic transliteration of Mandarin.
- 1 Nanning Wuxu International Airport (NNG IATA 南宁吴圩国际机场). Serves domestic and international flights, though the latter feature is only offered on a few destinations on a non-daily basis. Since Nanning City is China's gateway to Southeast Asian countries, the local government is putting a lot of emphasis on connecting Nanning to the capitals of every Southeast Asian country.
There are 4 airport bus lines in operate connecting the airport and the city.
- Airport Bus Line 1: Run directly to Vienna Hotel Nanning Chaoyang Road (朝阳路维也纳酒店) which is 400 m away from the Nanning Railway station. Operation time: from first arriving flight to last flight of the day, frequency: half an hour, fare: ¥20. The buses run from the Vienna Hotel Nanning Chaoyang Road to airport every 30 min from 05:30 to 22:30. Full journey time is 45-60 min.
- Airport Bus Line 2: Run to Wharton International Hotel near the South Lake (Nanhu, 南湖) via a downtown stop at Jiangnan Bus Terminal (江南客运站). Operation time: from first arriving flight to 23:00, frequency: half an hour, fare ¥20. The buses run from the Wharton International Hotel to airport every 30 min from 05:30 to 21:00. Full journey time is 50-75 min.
- Airport Bus Line 3: Run directly to Nanning Zoo (动物园), operation time: 09:30 - 18:30, Frequency: every hour. The buses run from the zoo to airport every hour from 08:00 to 19:00. Fare ¥20. Full journey time is 45-60 min.
- Airport Bus Line 4: Run directly to Nanning East Railway Station (南宁东站), operation time: 09:00 - 19:30, frequency: every 45 min. The buses run from the south square of Nanning East Railway Station to airport every 45 min from 10:45 to 19:00. Fare ¥20. Full journey time is 60-75 min.
Public bus line no. 301 runs between the old terminal T1 and the city center, journey time is approximately 1.5 hours and costs only ¥3. But all airlines now operate from T2; walking from T2 to nearest stop of bus line no. 301 is more than 5 km.
Taxis are also available. Fixed price to downtown is ¥100. A taxi from the airport to Langdong bus terminal will cost ¥120-130, but it is still possible to bargain for ¥100-110. The drivers might refuse to use the meter but the price is not exorbitant as it may even cost more with the meter.
- All long-distance services use 2 Nanning Railway Station (南宁火车站, 南宁站, Nanning Station), 82 Zhonghua Road, Xixiangtang District (西乡塘区中华路82号) (Metro Line 1, Nanning Railway Station Metro Station). It's at the north end of Chaoyang Road just north of city centre. Chief cities served include Beijing (13 hours by fast daytime train or 23 hours by sleeper), Guilin (2-3 hrs), Guangzhou for Hong Kong and Macau (3-4 hours), Kunming (5 hours), Pingxiang on the border with Vietnam (3-4 hours), and Hanoi in Vietnam. This last service departs nightly around 18:00, takes four hours to the border, then a couple of hours each side for exit / entry (time zone change one hour), then another four hours to Hanoi Gia Lam. The return leaves Hanoi around 21:00 to reach Nanning for 10:00. Sorry, no one in mainland China will exchange your Vietnamese money.
Although it has high-speed trains, this is a small old-fashioned station by modern Chinese standards. There's no catering or ticketing within the transit / waiting area, you'll have to go out to the station precinct, or better still completely out of the station into the underground food mall - especially if you're taking the Hanoi train, with no catering on train, along the route or on arrival. But then you need time and documentation to get back in through the gates.
- Trains from points east may also stop at 3 Nanning East ("Dong") Railway Station (南宁东站, Nanning East Station), Fengling Road North, Qingxiu District (青秀区凤岭北路) (Metro Line 1, Nanning East Railway Station Metro Station). There's seldom reason for visitors to get off here. It's 20 mins from Nanning Station by metro.
Nanning has three major bus terminals:
- Langdong (埌东) bus terminal is on Minzu Dadao (民族大道; Mínzú Dàdào) to the east of the city centre amongst all the new skyscrapers. Yunde (云德; Yúndé) buses from Hanoi arrive at Langdong Bus Station. Buses for Hanoi are ¥150, which includes drinks, a lunch at Pingxiang and insurance. It is possible to opt out of insurance, which costs ¥2, if you tell the ticket-seller. This is a through-service, which will bring you all the way to Hanoi, though it does involve a change of buses and other vehicles in between. Buses leave Langdong at 08:40, 09:00 and 10:00. The journey takes 7 hours. There are also direct buses to Nanning from Haiphong and Ha Long Bay.
- Jiangnan bus terminal is on Xingguang Dadao way south of the city center. Buses from the south, Pingxiang near the Vietnam border (arrivals roughly hourly, 2.5 hr, ¥60), and Yangshuo (via Guilin) operate from Jiangnan. metro line 2 connects Jiangnan to Chaoyang Road in the city centre. Catch them from the square in front of the terminal. Alternatively a taxi will take you for ¥15-20.
Local buses serve the city, and are either ¥1 or ¥2 per trip, depending on whether the buses have A/C or not. Buy a bus map of the city for about ¥5 for the routes around the city, which doubles as a city map.
Taxis are also convenient for getting around the city, and most rides within the city should cost under ¥20. Fares start at ¥9 for the first 2 km and are based on time and distance afterwards.
Nanning Rail Transit Line 1 is a 25-station line that connects Shibu and Nanning East Railway Station, crossing the city from east to west, operates from 06:30 to 22:00 everyday. The fare is ¥2-6 based on stops. Line 2 crosses from north to south; you can transfer downtown at Chaoyang Square or Nanning Railway Station.
Share bikes also operate in the city. Mobike and ofo can be picked up from many areas, if you have an account.
- 1 Anthropology Museum of Guangxi (广西民族博物馆), 11 Qinghuan Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区青环路11号) (Bus route w8. You may catch bus w8 from the Zhuxi Interchange (竹溪立交), which is just a few hundred metres west of the Convention & Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09ː30-17ː00, no entry after 16ː30, closed on Mondays (public holidays excepted). Free.
- 2 [dead link] The Geological Museum of Guangxi (广西地质博物馆), 1 Jianzheng Road, Qingxiu District (清秀区建政路1号) (Bus routes. 12, 85 and b37. You can catch bus no. 12 from Jinzhou Road (金洲路), which is a short distance east of Nanhu Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. 08ː30-11ː30, 15ː00-17ː30, closed on weekends. Free.
- 3 Guangxi Art Museum (广西美术馆), 22 Qiuyue Road, Wuxiang New District (五象新区秋月路22号) (Bus route 12. You may catch this bus on Jinzhou Road (金洲路), just south of the intersection with Minzu Avenue (民族大道) and close to Nanhu Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09ː00-17ː00, no entry after 16ː00, closed on Mondays. Free.
- 4 Guangxi Autonomous Region Museum (广西壮族自治区博物馆; Guǎngxī Zhuàngzú Zìzhìqū Bówùguǎn), 34 Minzu Avenue, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道34号; Mínzú Dàdào) (At the intersection with Gucheng Road, across from Mengzhidao Department Store. Just outside Exit B of the Minzu Square Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16ː00, closed on Mondays. The only national-level museum in Guangxi, it has quite an eclectic exhibition. The museum's large collection of pottery and porcelain is displayed on the first floor, while on the second floor, there are exhibits on the early culture of Guangxi, including a collection of bronze drums, prehistoric tools and metalwork. There is also an open-air exhibition, with performances, and has houses of some of the minorities. An audio guide may be rented out for ¥10 (¥200 deposit required). Free.
- 5 Guangxi Planning Exhibition Hall (广西规划馆), 8 Songxiang Road, Liangqing District (良庆区宋厢路8号) (Take bus no. 15 from Jiangnan Coach Station Metro Station on Metro Line 2, bus no. 48 from Yudong Station on Metro Line 2, or bus no. 220 from Jinhu Square Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . 09ː00-17ː00, no entry after 16ː00, closed on Mondays. Free.
- 6 Guangxi Science and Technology Museum (广西科技馆), 20 Minzu Avenue, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道20号) (Xinminlu Station, Metro Line 1), ☏ (enquiries), (ticket sales), ✉ email@example.com. 09ː30-17ː00, closed on Mondays (public holidays excepted). General admission is free. The museum cinema charges ¥20 per head.
- 7 Nanning Museum (南宁博物馆), 15 Longdi Road, Liangqing District (良庆区龙堤路15号) (Bus routes 107 and 117. You can catch bus 107 from Dashatian Square, which is near the Dashatian Station on Metro Line 2), ☏ . 09ː00-16ː30, no entry after 16ː00, closed on Mondays. Free.
- 8 Natural History Museum of Guangxi (广西自然博物馆), Nanning People's Park, 1-1 Renmin Road East, Xingning District (兴宁区人民东路1-1号南宁人民公园内) (The museum is on the east side of Nanning People's Park, which is about 1.5km east of the Nanning Railway Station), ☏ , . 09ː00-16ː30, closed on Mondays (public holidays excepted). Free.
- 9 Yongjiang Inlet Art Museum (邕江湾美术馆), South Side, Xiazhou Village Section, Xianhu Economic Development Zone (仙葫经济开发区西区下洲村段南面) (Bus routes 87, 97, 105, 701 and 704. Bus routes 87, 701 and 704 can be caught from the Langdong Coach Station Metro Station on Line 1), ☏ . 09ː00-17ː00, no entry after 16ː30. Free.
Parks and natureEdit
- 10 Guangxi Medicinal Botanical Garden (广西药用植物园), 189 Longgang Road, Xingning District (兴宁区长堽路189号) (Bus routes 20, 28, 42, 43, 74, 90, b82, b83 will take you to Gate No. 2 on the west side of the garden. Bus routes 20, 28, 42, 43, 74, 90, b101, b82 and b83 will take you to Gate No. 3 on the south side of the garden. You can catch buses 42, 43 and 90 from outside Exit D of the Convention and Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . Summerː 08ː00-18ː00, Winterː 08ː00-17ː30. Usually ¥65, but may be discounted to ¥30.
- 11 [dead link] Nanning People's Park (南宁人民公园, 白龙公园 White Dragon Park), 1 Renmin Road East, Xingning District (兴宁区人民东路1号) (About 1.5km east of the Nanning Railway Station. The bus stop outside the park is served by bus routes 22, 31, 41, 78, 80, 81, b206 and b91), ☏ . Open all day. Includes a large area devoted to amusement park type rides, as well as quieter areas for picnics, game playing, or walking. Free.
- 12 Nanning Zoo (南宁市动物园), 3 University Road West, Xixiangtang District (西乡塘区大学西路3号) (Nanning Zoo Station, Metro Line 1), ☏ (service hotline), (e-ticket enquiries), (event planning). 08ː00-17ː30. A rich collection of African and Asian animals, reptiles, birds, and fish, all in well-maintained settings. (No Pandas.) Admission includes an hour-long performance of dancing bears, bicycling monkeys, elephants, and acrobats. ¥50.
- 13 Qingxiu Mountain (青秀山 Qingxiu Shan, Mount Qingxiu, Qingxiu Hill), 6-6 Lingnan Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区凤岭南路6-6号) (Bus routes 32, 121 and b10 will take you to the north gate. Bus routes 32, 33, 89, 94, 121, 220 and b10 will take you to the west gate), ☏ (enquiries), , (complaints and emergencies), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 07ː00-18ː00. Entry is ¥20. Fees for the sightseeing car are ¥5 for one ride, ¥9 for two rides and ¥34 for unlimited rides. The tourist train charges ¥10 for one ride, ¥18 for two rides and ¥50 for unlimited rides.
- 14 [dead link] Shimen Forest Park (石门森林公园, 石门公园 Shimen Park), 118 Minzu Avenue, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道118号) (A 700-metre walk from Exit C of the Convention and Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Open all day. Free.
- 15 [dead link] Shishan Park (狮山公园, Lion Mountain Park), 92 Xiuxiang Avenue, Xingning District (兴宁区秀厢大道92号) (Bus routes 13, 28, 74, 116, 212, 605, 705 and b63), ☏ . Open all day. Free.
- 16 [dead link] South Lake Park (南湖公园; Nánhú Gōngyuán), 1 Shuangyong Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区双拥路1号) (Nanhu Station, Metro Line 1), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open all day. Lake in the southeastern part of town surrounded by a park including bonsai and orchid gardens. Free.
- 17 [dead link] Wuxiangling Forest Park (五象岭森林公园), Liangqing District (良庆区) (Bus routes 15, 29, 31, 49, 55, 56, 81, 88, 96, 107 and 111. Bus routes 15, 81 and 88 may be caught from outside the Dashatian Station on Metro Line 2. Enter near the corner of 兴象路 and 建设路), ☏ . Pleasant forest park with some light hiking trails. Free.
- 18 Yiling Rock (伊岭岩), State Highway 210, Wuming District (武鸣区210国道) (Take public bus no. 115 or k5, which originate from the Anji Bus Terminal bus stop and the Gaoxin Anji Intersection bus stop respectively. Both bus routes also stop outside the Anji Coach Station Metro Station on Line 2), ☏ . Summerː 08ː30-17ː00, Winterː 08ː30-16ː30. Karst caverns 18 km north of Nanning City in Wuming District. ¥60.
- 19 Diwang International Commerce Center (地王国际商会中心 Dìwáng Guójì Shānghuì Zhōngxīn), 59 Jinhu Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区金湖路59号) (Situated on the north side of Jinhu Square and about 550 metres northwest of Jinhu Square Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , . Observation deck opening hoursː Monday to Fridayː 09ː00-22ː00, Weekendsː 09ː00-22ː30. This was Nanning's tallest building from 2006 to 2014. The building stands 276 metres tall. There is an observation deck on the top floor, which offers sweeping views of the city. ¥68 to access the observation deck.
- 20 Guangxi University (广西大学 or XiDa 西大 for short), 100 University Road East, Xixiangtang District (西乡塘区大学东路100号) (Guangxi University Station, Metro Line 1). An example of a good provincial university with several 10s of thousands of undergraduate and graduate students. Includes classroom buildings, dormitory buildings, and large administration buildings on a very large and beautifully landscaped campus.
- 21 [dead link] Nanning Confucius Temple (南宁孔庙), 9 Qinghuan Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区青环路9号) (Bus route w8. You may catch bus w8 from the Zhuxi Interchange (竹溪立交), which is just a few hundred metres west of the Convention & Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . 09ː00-16ː30, closed on Mondays. Free.
- 22 People's Welfare Plaza (Minsheng Plaza 民生广场), Jiangbei Avenue, Qingxiu District (西乡塘区江北大道) (Runs along the river for about a mile on top of Jiangbei Road near the center of town; Bus routes 34, 35, 45, 46, 76, 79, 205, 207, 604, 701 and 706). Open all day. A landscaped concrete, tile, and terrazzo plaza running along the river. Often is the site of small musical and dancing groups, skateboarders, children, and strolling couples. Free.
- 23 Yangmei Ancient Town (扬美古镇), Jiangxi Town, Jiangnan District (江南区江西镇) (36km west of the Nanning urban area. Express buses to Yangmei depart from the University Town Tourist Transportation Hub (大学城旅游集散地) located at 51 University Road East (大学东路51号) just outside Exit B of Lubanlu Station on Metro Line 1. Buses operate about once an hour between 08ː30 and 18ː00. The bus fare is ¥17), ☏ . ¥10.
- 1 Nanning Bird and Flower Market (南宁花鸟市场), 2 Kunlun Avenue, Xingning District (兴宁区昆仑大道2号) (Near the intersection of Xiangzhu Ave 廂竹大道 and Nanwu Road 南捂路, adjacent to the Guangxi Medicinal Botanical Garden 广西药用植物园, northeast of the city center. Bus routes 20, 22, 42, 66, 67, 81, 608, 802, 803 and w3). An eclectic mix of flowers, shrubs, pot plants and all thing floral, as well as a vast array of birds, fish, and other pets. Thrown into the mix is an assortment of household goodies to brighten up an otherwise dull abode: furniture fashioned from tree stumps, traditional Chinese tea sets, carvings, wall hangings, etc. This is an amazingly interesting place to while away an afternoon, and get some truly good-value items. This place is packed out on weekends, and is a notorious place for pick-pockets, who cleverly razor-slash pockets and bags to retrieve any valuable carelessly stowed. Keep money, mobile phones and any valuables securely in zippered compartments inside bags.
- 2 Nanning Wanda Amusement Park (南宁万达乐园), 6 Liangdi Road, Wuxiang New District (五象新区良堤路6号) (Take bus no. 26. There is a bus stop for Bus 26 on Ximin Road, a short distance north of Exit C of the Ximinlu Station on Metro Line 1), toll-free: . Monday-Fridayː 10ː00-22ː00, Weekendsː 09ː30-22ː30. Prices for individual rides vary from ¥15 to ¥30. If you intend on going on multiple rides, you can save some money by getting a stored-value card. A ¥100 card costs ¥80. A ¥240 card costs ¥200. A ¥360 card costs ¥300. A ¥600 card costs ¥500. Children under 1.2 metres in height are free.
As a regional capital, Nanning has a lot of work opportunities compared to other cities of Guangxi Province. The booming import and export business exchanges between Guangxi and Vietnam means that there is a big demand for people who can speak both Chinese and Vietnamese. Also, if you are a native English speaker, teaching jobs are also abundant. See Working in China for more information.
- Chao Yang Road, 朝阳路; Chao Yang Lu. The main shopping street lined with department stores, like Nanning Department Store and Parkson, and also Walmart, in addition other intentional brands and local brands. It is also a nice place to go people-watching, as people from all walks of life can be seen here: youngsters, street performers, roadside vendors, etc.
- Underground Mall (Runs for several city blocks under XinHua Road 新华街 near the center of town.). And underground shopping mall that is always busy, particularly during the hot summer months. Primarily composed of small clothing shops but also includes food outlets and other small stores of a variety of types.
- 1 Heping Market (和平商场). Located a block west of the north Nanning Department Store (百货大楼), Heping Market has 4 crowded stories of small vendors selling electronics, kitchenware, makeup, clothing, and fabrics. Expect low prices and few (genuine) name brands.
- 2 The Mixc (万象城). Located on the east side of town, on Minzhu Avenue, the Mixc is a new, 7-story mall featuring high-end, mostly foreign brands. Uniqlo, Parkson, and H&M are the anchor stores. There is plenty to eat on all levels, as well as an ice rink and a movie theater. Expect prices to be on par with the West.
Zhongshan Rd (中山路) is Nanning's food street, with a vast assortment of street stalls serving many kinds of Liang Guang (literally, the two Guang provinces, Guangxi and Guangdong) foods, as well as food from neighbouring provinces, such as Hunan and Yunnan. It is diagonally opposite the Wanda Plaza, home of Wal-Mart. Throughout the city there are many good-value restaurants. Few have English menus. The newly developed eastern end of the city (around Langdong, and the APEC Exhibition Centre) has lots of up-market restaurants, cafes and coffee lounges.
There are dumpling stalls and small eating houses all over the city. Fresh, tasty and very cheap. Zhongshan Rd food stalls are also worth a try. Try the local rice noodle soup, laoyoufen (老友粉; literally old friend rice noodle). It is traditionally made with pork based broth, pickled bamboo shoots, fermented soy beans, and other typical Chinese spices. It is an acquired tasted due to the pickled bamboo shoots.
- 1 Nanning night food market, Zhongshan Rd (15 minute walk south from the train station). This is a 300-meter long stretch where you will find a vivid display of various exotic dishes ready to be served.
About 90% of the restaurants in Nanning would fall into this category.
- Little Fat Sheep (Xiaofeiyang), Dongege Rd and Henyang Rd. Chain serving traditional hotpot, with lamb the meat of choice.
- Old Chengdu, Youai Rd (just off Dongge Rd in the south). Sichuan hot, spicy food.
Anything in or around Langdong or the Five Elephant Plaza (financial district); the YongJiang Hotel, by the river, has an excellent buffet, with fresh seafood, and good quality meat BBQs.
Many popular bars are to be found along Minzu Da Dao, the long avenue that runs from east to west through the city, bisecting South Lake. Many have a cover charge, and offer a variety of international as well as domestic beers, in addition to the standard supply of liquors. The '100' bar area (near the city library) has a cluster of up-market bars and coffee lounges, many featuring live music. A number of more intimate, low key bars and pubs can be found in the university district in the north west of the city, around University Road (Da Xue Lu) and Mingxiu Road.
As for every major Chinese city, booking hotels online is more convenient than ever. Chinese website include Tuniu.com, Ctrip.com, and Fliggy.com. Western ones include hotels.com (run by expedia)
Around the square in front of the station are several hotels offering bargains for rooms and dorm beds with dorm beds starting at ¥15.
- 1 Nanning Civil Aviation Hotel (南宁民航饭店), 82 Chaoyang Road, Xingning District (兴宁区朝阳路82号) (near Exit I of the Nanning Railway Station Metro Station, in front of the bus stop to the airport), ☏ . Check-in: 08ː00, check-out: 14ː00. Rooms with air con, electronic lock, cable TV and internet. From ¥188.
- 2 South Face Hostel (South Face 青年旅舍), No. 1201, Block 2, 6 Yuanhu Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区园湖路6号2栋2单元1201) (Near Macun Station on Metro Line 1. Exit the station via Exit B. Immediately on your front left you will see a tall yellowish building marked with the words '南湖6号' (No. 6 South Lake) in bright red Chinese font. Look for Entrance 2, Building 2 (2栋2单元). Just go to the twelfth floor and find door 1201. It has a white paper with 'South Face' on it.), ☏ , . Check-in: 14ː00, check-out: 12ː00. Basically an apartment turned in to a hostel, with three bedrooms, each with bunk beds. A communal kitchen, spacious living room and a balcony with view over Nanhu Park. Washing machine available as well for 5 yuan. A very friendly hostel, whose owner, a graduate from New York University will entertain you (if he's there) with some good history and politics of China. Bed in dorm ¥48-50.
- 3 Wanxing Hotel - Chaoyang Square Branch (永恒万兴酒店 南宁朝阳广场店), 41-2 Beining Street, Xingning District (兴宁区北宁街42-1号) (190 metres from Exit D of the Chaoyang Square Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 12ː00, check-out: 12ː00. Excellent, clean and elegantly-decorated rooms that have air-conditioning and come with ensuite bathrooms are available. Chinese breakfast that is adequate, though not something that you would wake up especially for. Counter staff speak some amounts of English and accept international credit cards. From ¥178.
- 4 Wanxing Hotel - Nanning Culture Palace Branch (永恒万兴酒店 南宁文化宫店), 47 Minzhu Street, Xingning District (兴宁区民主路47号) (330 metres from Exit D of the Chaoyang Square Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . Check-in: 12ː00, check-out: 12ː00. Similar to the other branch but with fewer rooms. From ¥156.
- 5 Yin He Hotel (南宁银河大酒店), 84 Chaoyang Road, Xingning District (兴宁区朝阳路84号) (in the centre of town just south of the railway station and next to the Nanning Railway Station Metro Station and airport bus terminal), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 08ː00, check-out: 12ː00. Some rooms renovated. Rooms from ¥180.
- 6 Jingtong Hotel - Nanning Dongge Branch (精通柏林酒店 南宁东站会展中心青秀万达店 (原东葛店)), 100 Dongge Rd, Qingxiu District (青秀区东葛路100号; Qīngxiùqū Dōnggělù Yībǎihào) (3km to centre; Take bus no. 20, 52, 76, 85, 601, 604, 607, b91 or w10 and get off at the Changhu Road Intersection (东葛长湖路口)), ☏ , , . Check-in: 14ː00, check-out: 12ː00. Ordinary rooms, business rooms and luxury rooms ranging from 15m2 to 20m2. Business and party facilities. Recently renovated with large and bright rooms. Good service. Doubles from ¥258.
- 7 March Flower International Hotel (三月花国际大酒店; Sānyuèhuā Guójì Dàjiǔdiàn), 50 Changhu Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区长湖路50号) (About 1km north of Jinhu Square Station & Convention & Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1. Bus routes 1, 42, 43, 45, 90, b37, b91, b98, and d9). Three-star business hotel close to park and lake with nice view. Well designed hotel with well equipped rooms. Rooms including ordinary, business and luxury. Rooms ranging from 15m2 to 25m2. Free internet in the rooms. Business facilities. From ¥350.
- Other mid-range places a short walk from Nanning Main Railway Station are Phoenix Hotel, Vake, and Vienna. You'll see them from the station precinct.
- 8 Guangxi Wharton International Hotel (广西沃顿国际大酒店, 南宁国际大酒 Nanning International Hotel), 88 Minzu Avenue, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道88号) (Metro Line 1, Nanhu Station, Exit B2), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15ː00, check-out: 14ː00. The hotel is nice and centrally located. If you have a family, ask for a suite. There are a pool and a gym on the premises and a few restaurants inside as well. The Chinese restaurant in the basement (the Shenzhou Food Street") offers the best value. From ¥479.
- 9 Nanning Marriott Hotel (南宁鑫伟万豪酒店), 131 Minzu Ave, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道131号) (in the eastern area of the city's CBD district, opposite the Nanning International Convention and Exhibition Center and close to the Convention & Exhibition Center Metro Station on Line 1), ☏ , fax: . Excellent Chinese and Western cuisine. Hotel staff are excellent. Good for families and business people. Halal food available during China-ASEAN Expo period. From ¥628.
- 10 Red Forest Hotel (红林大酒店), 129 Minzu Avenue, Qingxiu District (青秀区民族大道129号) (Near the Convention and Exhibition Center Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ (extension 6880). Check-in: 12ː00, check-out: 12ː00. This five-star establishment offers excellent rooms at a reasonable rate. Higher rooms also offer a great view of the city, as rooms are furnished with floor-to-wall windows. Hotel amenities include an indoor pool and gym, and hotel staff are attentive and efficient. Doubles from ¥609.
Chinese cities are generally speaking very safe and Nanning is no exception. But petty robberies are quite common. On buses, be extra-careful about your mobile phones and wallets.
Also, be careful when strangers are trying to talk to you and sell you something or leading you somewhere, this warning especially applies to foreigners in China.
- 1 Cambodian Consulate (柬埔寨总领事馆), 6-16 Guihua Road, China-ASEAN Business District, Qingxiu District (青秀区东盟商务区桂花路16-6号) (Take bus w18 from the ASEAN Business District Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ , , fax: , , ✉ email@example.com. Monday to Friday, 09ː00-12ː00, 14ː00-17ː00.
- 2 Thai Consulate (Royal Thai Consulate-General, 泰王国驻南宁总领事馆), 1st and 2nd Floor, 1-52 Jinhu Road North, Qingxiu District (青秀区金湖北路52-1号东方曼哈顿大厦1-2层) (Jinhu Square Station, Metro Line 1), ☏ (general enquiry), (visa section), fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday to Friday, 09ː00-11ː30 (application submission), 14ː00-17ː00 (collections and enquiries).
- 3 Vietnamese Consulate (Consulate of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, 越南社会主义共和国驻南宁总领事馆), 27th Floor, Yahang Wealth Center, No 55 Jinhu Road, Qingxiu District (青秀区金湖路55号亚航财富中心27楼) (you can either take a taxi there (¥15 one way) or the local bus 6 (¥2) bound south away from the railway station (the north-south part of the T junction), so get on at the train station on the same side of the road as the station, and get off at the second stop after you cross a big (100-m long) bridge over the river, on the left as you go over the bridge is Guangxi Investment Building, with a large G logo on the top. Go down the street to the right of the Guangxi Investment Building, then take the first right. The consulate is in last building on the right, above Bank of China. Take the lift in the lobby to the right of the bank to the 27th floor. Coming from the bus station, you also take bus number 6. Buses 11, 29, 34, 39, 43, 79, 87, 206, 601, 603 also serve the consulate. You can also take a metro train. The consulate is about 600 metres west of the Jinhu Square Station on Line 1), ☏ , , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Visa office hours are M-F 08:30-12:30 and 14:30-18:00, but they can be late to return from the lunch break, your passport with visa can be collected from 17:00, this means the earliest you can leave to Vietnam is the next morning, factor on spending at least two nights in Nanning getting your Vietnamese visa. The consulate issues visas for Vietnam. Make sure you take a recent passport photo with you as they do not have a machine at the consulate. Prices can vary according to nationality, and depend on your desired processing time: three days (standard) ¥380, two days ¥480, one day (drop off in the morning, collect after 17:00) ¥580.
- Northern Vietnam — within striking distance
- Beihai — take the fast train (can be booked from a travel agent or Ctrip) for around ¥60 (1.5 hours) or take bus from Langdong or Jiangnan bus station (3 hours)
- Kunming — there is a train there, reportedly a sensational ride through isolated mountainous country
- Guilin and Yangshuo — famously scenic tourist area, only a short distance from Nanning (about 5 hr by direct bus or 2.5 hr by train)
- Detian Waterfall — with a 75 meter drop, on the Chinese-Vietnamese border, It is about 4 hours from Nanning.