Nanton was historically known as "Tap Town", after providing passing motorists with free water supplied from the foothills via a stand tap on the northbound highway. This water was one of this first to be bottled and sold in Canada, resulting in the creation of Nanton Water & Soda Ltd, still a thriving business in the town today.
Nanton is about 45 minutes south of Calgary on Highway 2.
Nanton is fairly compact and easily walkable. Highway 2 splits into parallel one-way streets when passing the town, and the historic business district is located between the two streets.
- Historic Main Street and Antique & Art Walk of Alberta (downtown Nantion). Find boutique shopping, art, collectibles, antiques, and dining. Nanton's independent traders are conveniently located and organized around a walk, enjoy a stroll through our authentic downtown core as you pass from location to location.
- 1 Bomber Command Museum of Canada, 1659 21 Avenue, ☏ . Tour through the World War II Lancaster Bomber, one of only a very few left in the world. The museum was built by volunteers to honour all those associated with Bomber Command and the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, features the Lancaster, along with other aircraft, World War II vehicles, displays, and memorabilia. by donation.
- 2 Canadian Grain Elevator Discovery Centre, 2119 19 Avenue, ☏ . A set of restored grain elevators and showcases the town's, and Alberta's, agricultural history.
- 3 Coutts Centre for Western Canadian Heritage (From Hwy 2 in Nanton: 7.9 km (4.9 mi) east on Hwy 533, 3.4 km (2.1 mi) north on Rge Rd 280), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Over 18 perennial gardens, walking trails and repurposed historic outbuildings. Artisan market, sculptures, and restaurant on site.
- 4 MacEwan School House Visitor Information Centre (20 Ave (Hwy 2 north) between 20 St & 19 St in central Nanton), ☏ . Th-M 10AM-4PM. Nanton's visitor centre is in this 1906 one-room schoolhouse.
- 5 Museum of Miniatures, 2120 19 Street, ☏ .
- Because I Said So, 1902 21 Avenue, ☏ . Gift store featuring used books and espresso.
- Classic Rodeo Boutique, 2111 20 Street, ☏ . High-end western fashion boutique, featuring Sympli, Joseph Ribkoff, Double D. Ranch and Tasha Polizzi.
- Prickly Pear Casa, 2114 20 Street, ☏ . Specializes in home decor and lifestyle objects with a focus on upcycling.
- Tea Zehri Loose Leaf Tea & Gift Boutique, 2109 20 Street, ☏ . Get hot tea and cold tea to-go, as well as tins of loose leaf tea to brew at home.
- 1 The Candy Store in Nanton, 2131 20 Street, ☏ , toll-free: . The Candy Store in Nanton is a family-owned and -operated business housed inside the historic Hewitt building of 1915; thousands of nostalgic and popular candies imported from around the world.
- Willow Creek Forge, 2112 20 Street. Hand-forged lamps, sculptures and decor items; also makes frying pans.
- 2 Ironhorse Gallery, 2116 20 Street, ☏ .
- 3 Lost Ark Antiques, 1915 20 Avenue, ☏ .
- 4 Sentimental Journey Antiques, 1901 20 Avenue, ☏ . Located in Keeley Building, constructed in 1909 as a hardware store and meeting space. Eventually the top floor was converted into apartments. Now features over 9000 square feet in showroom space.
- Auditorium Hotel, 2011 20 Avenue, ☏ .
- Rumors, 2110 19 Street, ☏ .
|Routes through Nanton|
|Calgary ← High River ←||N S||→ Claresholm → Fort Macleod / Lethbridge via|