New Harmony is a town in Southwestern Indiana.
New Harmony was the site of two attempted utopian communities during the early 19th century. The first was founded in 1814 by the Harmony Society and their leader, George Rapp. In 1825, their town was bought by social philosopher Robert Owen for his communitarian experiment, continuing the work he started in New Lanark, Scotland.
Visitor Information edit
- 1 Atheneum. Call or check the website for times. Allow three hours.. designed by renowned architect Richard Meier, is an architectural landmark and serves as a visitors center for New Harmony. Tours include log cabins, Lenz House, Community Houses, Rapp Granary, depart daily. $10 adults, $5 children. Discounts: AAA, students, seniors.
Get in edit
New Harmony is near the western border of Indiana and I-64. It is about 15 minutes from the Interstate highway.
Get around edit
You can walk everywhere in New Harmony. It's about nine blocks long.
But if you would prefer to get off your feet, the New Harmony Golf Car Company offers rentals. This is not as a strange as it sounds. Many locals seem to own them, and they are a common form of transportation in this quiet town.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 2:01PM local time and lasts 4 min. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Illinois, then across Indiana to Ohio and the Canada-New England border.
- Scattered throughout the town, surviving Harmonist buildings are marked with the town's historic markers. Guided tours of these historic buildings depart from the decidedly modern Atheneum.
- 2 Cathedral Labyrinth (West end of North St), ☏ . Daily 7AM to 11PM. An outdoor copy of the labyrinth of Chartes Cathedral.
- 3 Harmonist Labyrinth, 1239 Main St. Sunrise to sunset year-round. A 1940 reconstruction of the original hedge labyrinth grown by the harmonists on this site. Free.
- 4 Roofless Church.
- 5 Tillich Park.
- 1 Harmonie State Park.
- [dead link] Global Crossroads Multicultural Festival. Free.
- 1 Red Geranium Restaurant. Breakfast and dinner service are available seven days a week, and lunch service Monday through Saturday with plated brunch service on Sunday. Romantic and charming restaurant featuring seasonal American cuisine. Seating is available in three different dining rooms, each with a unique feel, as well as in the Grapevine Bar or on the patio. Expect to spend $10-15 per person for breakfast or lunch and at least $40 per person at dinner.
- The White House.
- 6 Working Man's Institute, ☏ . Tu-Th 10AM-7PM, F 10AM-4:30PM, Sa 10AM-4:30PM, Su noon-4PM. The oldest continuously operated library in Indiana. Also operates as a museum.
- 1 New Harmony Post Office.
By phone edit
Most telephone numbers in New Harmony consist of +1 812 plus a seven-digit number, but a second area code (+1 930) was overlain onto the entire 812 area in September 2014. A local or in-state telephone call now requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 812 before these if no area code is indicated.