Jalpaiguri, in the flood plains of the Teesta River, is a city with historical links going back to the deep past, but it really grew as an administrative centre during the British rule. Earlier, Jalpaiguri had a direct broad gauge rail link with Kolkata via eastern Bengal. With the partition of India, railway links were realigned and Jalpaiguri lost some of its strategic importance to Siliguri. It is now on the road and rail link for Assam and the North-East, and Jalpaiguri is re-inventing itself as an agricultural and business centre. It is headquarters of Jalpaiguri Division, comprising the districts of North Bengal.
- Bagdogra Airport is about 48 km from the main city of Jalpaiguri. This airport has flights from Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Guwahati, Kathmandu, Par and Bangkok.
- Netaji Subhash Central Bus Terminus has bus service to all places within West Bengal.
- The North Bengal State Transport Depot beside NBST offers government-operated buses to destinations all over the state.
- Kadamtala Bus Terminus- There are private and government buses operating super (1-stop) and non stop buses to Siliguri and Kolkata.
- Bowbazaar Bus Stop- Buses to Haldibari are available from here.
The main town of Jalpaiguri is just beside National Highway 31D, which connects Assam and the entire North East to the rest of India. Jalpaiguri is about 42 kilometers from Siliguri. A state highway begins at Jalpaiguri, connecting to Haldibari, near the border of Bangladesh.
- The Jalpaiguri City railway station [JPG] (0 km. away), New Jalpaiguri railway station [NJP] (35 km away), Jalpaiguri Road Railway Station [JPE] (3 km. away), Mohitnagar railway station [MNQ] (4.5 km. away) and the Jalpaiguri Junction railway station [RQJ] (7 km. away) from the main city centre serves the city. These have trains from all over India.
You can travel by cycle-rickshaw or totos or city-autos or city buses, which you can get everywhere, or you can hire a city taxi from taxi stands.
- 1 Jubilee Park (Along the spurs of the Teesta River), DM Office Rd. Jubilee Park is situated on the bank of River Teesta. There is a garden with different flowering plants. There is a wooden statue of an elephant. The park also offers beautiful views during sunrise and sunset.
- 2 Teesta Udyan (Children's Park), DM Office Rd.
- 3 Rajbari Palace, Raikatpara. Palace of Baiknthapur Estate. The building was constructed in the early years of twentieth century in place of the old palace made by Raja Jayantadev Raikot.
- 4 Jalpesh temple, Maynaguri Road (around 25 km from Jalpaiguri town and 8 km south of Mainaguri). The massive 126 feet high and 120 feet wide Shiva temple, built in the 9th century, was actually destroyed and rebuilt many times. It looks like a mosque because it was designed by a Muslim architect. The ideal time to visit is July and August, in monsoon, because of the mighty "BoleBom" festival; and in March and April, during the Shivaratri.
- Panchmukhi Balaji temple, Maskalaibari.
- 5 Karala riverside, Samajpara. Karala, a small river, flows through the middle of the town bisecting it into two halves.
- Jogmaya Kalibari, Temple Street.
- 6 Sarojendra Deb Raikat Kala Kendra (Art Centre), Hakimpara.
- Tea Gardens. These are very near to Jalpaiguri city and are worth a visit.
- 1 Town Club Ground. Watch football matches
- Pedal boat at Teesta Udyan
- Pedal boat at Eco City
- Hotel Ratnadeep in club road
- D'la Pritam in Kadamtala.
- Motorist Inn on Jalpaiguri-Siliguri road.
- Street chats (puchkas, momos, jhal muri etc) at Dinbazar.
- Motorist Inn in Jalpaiguri-Siliguri road.
- Chandni bar at highway
- D'la Pritam, Kadamtala (siiguri Rd).
- Eco City, Jalpiguri Siliguri Road, ☏ . Check-in: 12noon, check-out: 12noon. Resort is covered with tea garden. All rooms have AC, 24 hrs room service, doctor on call, laundry, 24 hrs light 1500.
- 1 Hotel De l' Pretom, 6-49/139, D.B.C. Road, Kadamtala, ☏ , .
- [dead link] Hotel Ratnadeep, Club Road/Main Road (Opposite State Bank of India), ☏ .
- 2 Prantik Lodge, Kather Bridge, Jalpaiguri Road, ☏ .