New Ulm is a prosperous small city in Southern Minnesota. It is the seat of Brown County, and had population of 14,000 in 2020. The people of New Ulm are very proud of their German heritage, and commemorate it year round with parades, parties, and holiday celebrations.
Visitor information Edit
- New Ulm Visitor Center, 1 North Minnesota Street, toll-free: .
Get in Edit
New Ulm is located at the intersection of US Route 14 and Minnesota State Highway 15.
Get around Edit
- 1 August Schell Brewing Company - Brewery Tours, 1860 Schell Road, toll-free: , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. call for hours. $10 per person (under 12 free).
- Glockenspiel in Schonlau Park. New Ulm's glockenspiel is one of the world's few free-standing carillon clock towers. It stands 45 ft (14 m) high, and its largest bourdon (bell weighs 595 lb (270 kg), while the total weight of the bells is 4,000 lb (1,800 kg). The bells chime the time of day in Westminster style.
- Brown County Historical Society, 2 North Broadway Street, ☏ , fax: , BCHS@BrownCountyHistoryMNUSA.org. M-F 9AM-4PM, Sa 1-5PM. $3 for adults, students and members free.
- Minnesota Music Hall of Fame, 27 Broadway St. N at First North St (next to the library), ☏ . Apr-Oct: Th-Sa 10AM-2PM. Exhibits about Minnesota musicians including Bob Dylan, Judy Garland, Prince, Eddie Cochran, Bobby Vee, Ervin Wolfe, John Denver, Whoopee John Wilfahrt, Harold Loeffelmacher, Earl Schmidt, Wally Pikal and the Andrews Sisters. It also explores the popularity of polka music in rural Minnesota. $6.
- [formerly dead link] Hermann Monument. Free.
- Martin Luther College, 1995 Luther Court, ☏ , fax: .
- Town Team Baseball.
- Festivals - there are a number of additional events, but these are the four most popular, as reported by the New Ulm Chamber of Commerce:
- Oktoberfest - this is an observance of the traditional German holiday. Activities include public entertainment, music, beer tasting, German food and horse drawn trolleys.
- Bavarian Blast - this is another German-themed party in the downtown area. It is centered around German Park and George's Ballroom.
- Bockfest - hosted by August Schell Brewing Company, this is a winter festival with (what else) a German beer theme.
- Fasching - this festival features German food, beverages, music, and craft activities.
- Sightseeing - the Chamber of Commerce has a Visitor Center that can set you up with maps, an itinerary, or even a guided tour.
- Dining - see below
- Explore History - New Ulm has preserved its history and the story of the immigrants who founded the town. You can explore preserved buildings, documents, and artifacts all over town. Check with the Brown County Historical Societ to get started.
- Flandrau State Park.
New Ulm has the full range of shopping options, including "big-box," regional, boutique, and souvenir shopping. Browse the charming and quaint midwestern downtown or cruise the commercial streets and you'll find what you're looking for.
- Perkins Restaurant and Bakery, 1727 South Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Applebees Neighborhood Grill, 410 20th Street South, ☏ .
- Burger King, 1922 South Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Carl's Corner, 100 Center Street, ☏ .
- Dairy Queen, 1501 North Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Otto's Feierhaus & Bierstube, 2101 South Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Pioneer College Caterers Inc., 1995 Luther Court, ☏ .
- Taco Bell, 707 North Minnesota Street, ☏ .
- Cornerstone Coffee, 213 South Minnesota Street, ☏ .
- Domino's Pizza, 315 North Minnesota Street, ☏ .
- George's Fine Steaks & Spirits, 301 North Minnesota Street, ☏ .
- Godfather's Pizza, 1627 South Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Veigel's Kaiserhoff, 221 North Minnesota Street, ☏ .
- Papa Murphy's Take & Bake, 1612 South Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Plaza Garibaldi, 1707 North Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Best Western New Ulm, 2102 S. Broadway, toll-free: .
- Microtel Inn & Suites New Ulm, 424 20th South Street. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 11am.
- Super 8 Motel, 1901 South Broadway. Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 11am.
Go next Edit
|Routes through New Ulm|
|Brookings ← Walnut Grove ←||W E||→ Mankato → Rochester|
|Saint Cloud ← Hutchinson ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Truman → Fairmont|