Nicholasville is a city of 31,000 (2019) in Jessamine County in the Bluegrass Region. The city serves as both a residential area for Lexington-area commuters and as an employment and shopping center for central Kentucky.
Nicholasville has undergone rapid growth and is now the tenth largest city in Kentucky.
Nicholasville has hot and humid summers, cool winters, and occasional mild periods, especially in autumn. The city and the surrounding Bluegrass region have four distinct seasons that include cool plateau breezes, moderate nights in the summer, and no prolonged periods of rain, snow, or other severe weather.
Visitors can fly into the Blue Grass Airport (LEX IATA), in Lexington.
Visitors can access Nicholasville by automobile. U.S. Route 27 is a major north-south artery.
- 1 Valley View Ferry, Located on the Kentucky River at Tates Creek Rd (KY-169) at the Fayette, Jessamine and Madison County line (From Nicholasville (Jessamine County) intersection of Main St and Richmond Ave, take KY-169 South for approximately 10 miles to the Kentucky River). M-F 8AM-6PM, Sa Su 8AM-8PM. A ferry across the Kentucky River that links Lexington and Nicholasville with Richmond. The Valley View Ferry is approximately 10 miles from the center of the Nicholasville. Free.
A car is necessary for travel into and around Nicholasville.
- 1 Camp Nelson National Monument, 6614 Danville Road, ☏ +1 859-881-5716. Tu-Sa 9AM-5PM. Camp Nelson was one of the largest recruitment and training centers for African-American soldiers during the Civil War, and served as a refugee camp for their wives and children. Free.
- 2 Taylor Made Horse Farm (Taylor Made Sales), 2765 Union Mill Rd. Hours vary seasonally. Horse farm. Tours available include California Chrome Experience, Twilight stroll, general tours, and special events during Keeneland Horse Sales. Tours $20-150.
- Kentucky Equine Adoption Center, 1713 Catnip Hill Rd, ☏ +1 859 881-5849, email@example.com. Tours available most Friday and Saturdays at 1:30PM. Kentucky's only all-breed equine rescue center is located on 72 acres of rolling hills. Tours of the barn and horses available with an opportunity to make healthy horse treats and feed them to rescue horses. Schedule tours through Horse Country Tours. $20.
- Wingswept Farm, 1529 Keene South Elkhorn Road (on Keene-South Elkhorn Road (Route 1267)), ☏ +1 859 490-0197. Lessons M-F 8AM - 6PM, Saturday 8AM-2PM; Show Barn M-F 5:30AM - 6PM, Sa 5:30AM - 2PM. A 95-acre horse farm. American Saddlebred stable. Horse back riding lessons. Summer day camps. Show Hall. Call for prices.
Vineyards and wineriesEdit
- Chrisman Mill Vineyards & Winery, 2385 Chrisman Mill Rd, ☏ +1-859-264-9463, firstname.lastname@example.org. Fridays & Saturday from 11AM-9PM. A family owned and operated vineyard and winery in the rolling hills of Hickman Creek Valley. Focuses on Vidal Blanc, Chancellor and Norton.
- First Vineyard, 5800 Sugar Creek Pike (from US 27 head to Highway 1268; turn on 1268; after 4.3 miles on 1268 go straight onto Sugar Creek Pike), ☏ +1 859 885-9359, email@example.com. F-Su 1-7PM, closed January to mid March. The First Vineyard is on land surveyed by Daniel Boone where Kentucky Vineyard Society started the first commercial winery in the United States 1799. Wine tasting.
Hiking and scenic viewsEdit
- Jessamine Creek Gorge Preserve (take US 27, turn right on KY 1268 (Bethel Rd) for 2.6 miles; turn left on Corman Ln.; go 1.1 miles), ☏ +1 859 885-2310, firstname.lastname@example.org. A 155-acre nature preserve in the palisades region of the Kentucky River.
- Jim Beam Nature Preserve, ☏ +1 859 259-9655, email@example.com. Sunrise to sunset. A nature preserve in the Palisades region of Kentucky.
Golf course and driving rangeEdit
- Connemara Golf Course, 2327 Lexington Road (US 27), ☏ +1 859 885-4331, firstname.lastname@example.org. Clubhouse: 7AM-7PM; driving range: closed Tuesday mornings until approx. 11AM. Public golf course and driving range. Adult and child instruction available. Call for tee times and rates.
- Kentucky Wine and Vine Fest. Kentucky Wine & Vine Fest Weekend is a celebration of Kentucky’s wine industry.
Lockmasters Security Institute is security training facility offering hands-on courses. Lock, Safe, Vault and Security Training. 2101 John C. Watts Drive. Office open from 8AM till 5PM. Toll free ☏ +1-866-574-8724. Courses range from 2 – 10 days.
- Hide-Away Gift Shop, 415 S Main St, ☏ +1-859 885-4226. Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM. A small locally owner and operated gift shop in a renovated older home.
- Nicholasville Florist and Gift Shop, 206 S Main St, ☏ +1 859 885-5601. M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon. A small family-owned florist and gift shop.
- Joy Food, 258 E Brannon Rd, ☏ +1 859-971-1388. Tu-Th 11AM-10PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM. Chinese restaurant. Small seating area. Popular for take out.
- Gumbo Yaya, 294 E Brannon Rd, ☏ +1 859-245-9292. M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 11AM-8PM. Fast casual Cajun Creole.
- Nicholasville Cafe, 111 N Main St, ☏ +1 859-887-9115. Tu-Th 11AM-2PM; F Sa 11AM-2PM, 5-8PM. A small town family owned and run diner in the center of downtown. Serves classic american food. under $10.
- Drake's, 390 East Brannon Road (from U.S. 27, turn on East Brannon Road; on the right), ☏ +1 859 447-8411. Daily 11AM-1AM. A premium casual dining restaurant that has over 20 craft beers on tap, a full menu that features regular burger and sushi specials, and a build-your-own bloody mary bar every Saturday and Sunday. Late night dining available.
- Mi Pequena Hacienda, 110 Cynthia Dr (from U.S. 27 turn on East Brannon Rd.; at the first stoplight use the 2nd from the left lane to turn left onto Cynthia Dr.; it's on the right), ☏ +1 859-309-3840, email@example.com. Su-Th 11AM-10PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM. A casual neighborhood Mexican restaurant that is part of a small Lexington based chain. Large patio seating area. Lunch specials. Locally known for their seafood dishes.
- Copper River Grill, 501 KeeneCentre Drive (follow US 27, turn on to KeeneCenter Drive), ☏ +1 859 885-0044. Daily 11AM-10PM. A casual dining restaurant serving classic American food.
- Euro Wine and Tapas Bar, 102 S. Main Street, ☏ +1 859-885-3139. W–Sa 5PM-1AM. A small locally owned restaurant and bar in downtown Nicholasville. Serves small plates that change monthly with some regular favorites that include Mini Hot Browns and Pan Fried Ravioli. A full bar with classic and artisan cocktails, a wide selection of wines.
- Asuka Japanese Steak House & Sushi, 360 E Brannon Rd, ☏ +1 859-272-0020. Monday to Friday 11:30AM–2:30PM 5–10PM, Saturday 11:30AM–11PM, Sunday 11:30AM–9PM. Japanese restaurant. Small Lexington based chain with one of the largest sushi menus in central Kentucky. Known for Japanese Teppanyaki grill entrees.
- Jake's Cigar Bar & Lounge, 100 Langley Dr (from U.S. 27, turn onto East Brannon Road and enter Brannon Crossing; turn right on Jaclyn Drive and left Langley Road), ☏ +1 859 273-0351. Noon - late night. A cigar bar. Known for large selection of bourbons and a well stocked humidor.
- Tap House Bar and Lounge, 613 N Main Street, ☏ +1 859-885-2522, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 5PM-1AM, Su 5PM-midnight. 24 craft beers on tap, a full bar.
- Home Place Inn, 181 Imperial Way (off the US 27 bypass), ☏ +1 859-885-9889, email@example.com. No frills hotel that include coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & ironing board, AM/FM Alarm clock Radio and free wireless high speed internet. All single rooms and suites have king size bed. $60 and up. Extended stay pricing available.
- Holiday Inn Express Lexington-Southwest (Nicholasville), 164 Imperial Way (going south on U.S. 27, use the 2nd to left lane to turn left onto North Main St. Turn right on Imperial Way), ☏ +1 859 885-8080. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. A microwave and mini refrigerator are provided. Heated, indoor pool and a Fitness Center. A complimentary, hot breakfast. Free wired and Wi-Fi access. For the business traveler there is a 24-hour Business Center with fax and copy services. Meeting rooms for group events. $100 and up.
- Corner House Bed & Breakfast, 228 Richmond Ave. (continue on US-27 until you reach North Main Street; turn onto North Main Street; urn left onto Richmond Avenue; the Corner House is on the right), ☏ +1 859 881-5229. The Corner House was built in 1911 in Victorian style. Remodeled in May 2000 and opened as B&B. All rooms in the Main House have queen beds and a private bath. The Cottage is located across the street from the Main House with 2 bedrooms, each with a queen-sized bed, 1 full bath, a fully furnished kitchen, living room with pullout bed in couch, wireless high-speed internet, satellite TV, DVD players and a large private backyard. Five townhouses available with 2 bedrooms with a queen sized bed, 1 full & 1 half bath, washer & dryer and a fully furnished kitchen.
- 1 Jessamine County Public Library, 600 S. Main St, ☏ +1 859 885-3523, Information@jesspublib.org. M-W 9AM-9PM, Th 11:30AM-9PM, F 9AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 1-5PM. The Jessamine County Public Library offers free WiFi to all visitors to allow devices to wirelessly connect to the Internet. Free.
- Saint Joseph Jessamine is only full-service, 24/7 emergency room in Nicholasville.
- Baptist Health Urgent Care Lexington - Brannon Crossing [dead link] 610 East Brannon Road, Suite 100. Open M-F 8AM-8PM, Sa Su 9AM-5PM, ☏ +1 859 260-5540
- Baptist Express Care - Nicholasville [dead link] 1024 N Main St Open M-F 8AM-7PM, Sa 8AM-6PM, Su 11AM-5PM. ☏ +1 859 241-2148. Walk-in clinic inside Walmart.
|Routes through Nicholasville|
|Cincinnati ← Lexington ←||N S||→ Somerset → Chattanooga|