Noord-Beveland, located on the Walcheren-Beveland peninsula, has been an island for many years. It weren't the regular floods the province had that made it cease to be an island, but instead the Delta Works made it cease to be an island. The Delta Works included the construction of a land bridge between Walcheren and Noord-Beveland. This land bridge would connect directly to the Oosterscheldekering, which connects Noord-Beveland to Schouwen-Duiveland via former work island Neeltje Jans. The Oosterscheldekering also protects the aforementioned islands from getting flooded.
The island consists of six towns, as well as many smaller communities. These towns, of which Colijnsplaat and Kamperland are the biggest, hold a total of 7,500 Noord-Bevelanders.
When travelling from Rotterdam, head onto the A15, heading for Spijkenisse. At Knooppunt Vaanplein, head onto the A29 and at Knooppunt Hellegatsplein, turn onto the N59. Follow this road until, shortly before entering Zierikzee, you take a left onto the N256. Follow the signs going to Domburg, which will guide you onto the N255, which will take you almost directly to Kamperland.
Like most of Zeeland, the islands can easily be explored by bike. The terrain is flat, which allows any cyclist - recreational or professional - to take the bike to get from point to point. Alternatively, you could use a car or bus. Trains do not service the island, you'll have to do with busses.
Bikes can be rented at the following addresses:
- Village centres - Colijnsplaat as a whole is a Rijksmonument. Beautiful old wooden houses and docks can be found throughout the town.
- The Delta Works - The Oosterscheldekering is a mighty dam that is known worldwide. They tell the story of how the Dutch tamed the seas.
- Cycling - Noord-Beveland has a total of 50 kilometers of coastline. By cycling alongside the coastlines, you'll continuously find yourself between water and land, with a continuously changing panorama all around.
- Hiking - Endless views over the landscape rich of bodies of water. The clear sky gives a feeling of spaciousness and allows you to relax.
- Watersports - Noord-Beveland is surrounded by three bodies of water: The North Sea, the Veerse Meer and the Oosterschelde. These three are perfect calm waters fit for (kite)surfing, sailing, waterskiing and more.
- Off-roading, Kortgene, ☏ . See website for prices and hours. Take an off-road route by bug-racer. Cars are only rented to people >21 in possession of a valid drivers license. Passengers have to be >6 and taller than 1m20.
Local products are the Oosterschelde-lobster, mussels and Noord-Bevelam (lamb).
- Shopping center Kamperland, Ruiterplaatweg 5 - 27.. Many boutiques, general shops and supermarkets located in the center of Kamperland.
- Hotel/Café/Restaurant De Kroon, Voorstraat 17, NL-4491 EV Wissenkerke, ☏ . €94.
- Apart Hotel Het Veerse Meer, Weststraat 2, NL-4484 AA Kortgene, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. €99.
- Amadore Hotel Restaurant De Kamperduinen, Patrijzenlaan 1, NL-4493 RA Kamperland, ☏ . Four star hotel €144.
- Zeelandpension Bij De Molen, Kerkstraat 12, NL-4491 EP Wissenkerke, ☏ .
- [dead link] Landgoed de Rijckholt, Provincialeweg 2, 4494 NA Geersdijk, ☏ . €97.
- [formerly dead link] Hotel/Restaurant De Korenbeurs, Kaaistraat 12, NL-4484 CS Kortgene, ☏ . Three star hotel €62.
- [formerly dead link] B&B Inn D'n Eeenhoorn, Havelaarstraat 22, NL-4486 BC Colijnsplaat, ☏ .
- Roompot Beach Resort, Mariapolderseweg 1, NL-4493 PH Kamperland, toll-free: .
- Familiecamping De Molenhoek, ☏ .
- RCN Vakantiepark de Schotsman, Schotsmanweg 1, NL-4493 CX Kamperland.
- Camping Anna Friso, Strandhoekweg 1, NL-4493 NS Kamperland, ☏ .
- Minicamping Zeelucht, Keihoogteweg 6, NL-4491 PT Wissenkerke, ☏ .
- Camping Orisant, West-Zeedijk 2, NL-4486 PM Colijnsplaat, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Minicamping Weizicht, Noordlangeweg 19, NL-4485 PK Kats, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Camping and Villapark De Paardekreek, Havenweg 1, NL-4484 NT Kortgene, ☏ .