Noordenveld is a municipality in the northwest of the province of Drenthe, The Netherlands. It is located in an area of forests, heathland, and bocage and comprises Roden, Norg, Peize, Veenhuizen, Steenbergen as well as 21 other small villages and hamlets.
Noordenveld is a rural municipality in the northwest of the province of Drenthe, bordering the province of Groningen to the north, Friesland to the west, the municipalities of Tynaarlo and Assen to the east, and Midden-Drenthe to the south. The main village of the municipality is Roden, which forms the economic centre. Many of the villages in the municipality are so-called brinkdorpen, which means they are centred around a brink or 'village green'. Another village of touristic interest is Veenhuizen, which used to be a reform housing colony and a penal colony.
There are three tourist information centres in Noordenveld.
Noordenveld is located southwest of the city of Groningen, and northwest of the city of Assen. By car, the area can be accessed via motorways A7 (Amsterdam-Groningen-Germany) and A28 (Utrecht-Zwolle-Groningen).
The key frequent bus route into Noordenveld is bus line 4, which frequently (2-6x per hour) runs from the main railway station of Groningen via Peize to Roden (25 minutes, €5). The less frequent bus line 83 (1x/hour) runs from Leek, via Roden and Norg, to Assen, and bus line 18 (1x/hour) runs from Assen via Norg to to Drachten (Friesland). Veenhuizen can be accessed by using bus line 14 (1x/hour), from Assen via Veenhuizen to Drachten. All these bus lines are operated by Qbuzz.
The best way to get around in Roden and surroundings is by bicycle. Bicycles can be rented at Stuurwold (Nieuweweg 26A, Roden) or at Bike Totaal Stellingwerf (Oosteind 25, Norg).
The main bus routes that are useful within Noordenveld are bus lines 4 (between Roden and Peize) and 83 (between Roden and Norg). There are no direct bus connections between Roden/Norg and Veenhuizen.
- 1 Kinderwereld toy museum, Brink 31, Roden. Tue-Sun 11:00-17:00. Museum about children's toys in the past and the present (Adults €5).
- 2 [formerly dead link] Museum Havezate Mensinge, Mensingheweg 7, Roden, ☏ . Wed-Sun 13:00-16:30. Museum on the history of life in Drenthe, in a house built in 1381 (Adults €6.50, children €3).
- 3 National Prison Museum (Nationaal Gevangenismuseum), Oude Gracht 1, Veenhuizen. Tue-Sun 10:00-17:00. Interactive museum on crime and punishment from 1600 to the present, including the history of Veenhuizen's penal colony. (Adults € 8.80).
- 4 De Tuinen van Weldadigheid, Hospitaallaan 48, Veenhuizen. June-September weekends 11:00-17:00. Gardens and orchard with historic and special vegetables. In the shop you can buy products from the orchard, such as chutneys and juices. (Adults €5).
The province of Drenthe is famous for the large number of dolmen sites (in Dutch 'hunebedden'), megalithic tombs. Two of them are in Noordenveld.
- 1 Leekstermeer (water sports at the lake, boat rental at Cnossen Leekstermeer), Meerweg 13, Nietap, ☏ . Boat rental, sailing, wind surfing, and kayaking at the Leekstermeer lake
- 2 De Onlanden (to be accessed from Peize, Roderwolde, or the Leekstermeer area). Unique wetlands area in the north of Noordenveld, between the Leekstermeer lake and the city of Groningen. Great for hiking, cycling, horse-riding, or bird-watching.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Cuisinerie Mensinge, Mensingheweg 1, Roden (behind the church), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Wed-Sun from noon. Small brasserie and restaurant in wonderful surroundings at the entrance to Museum Havezate Mensinge (Lunch about €20; dinner from €30).
- 2 De Jufferen Lunsingh, Hoofdweg 13, Westervelde, ☏ . It is advisable to book ahead, especially at weekends. (3 courses from €40).
- 3 De Peizer Hopbel, Hoofdstraat 3, Peize, ☏ . Tue-Sun from 11:00, open for lunch and dinner.
- 4 Brink 15, Brink 15, Roden, ☏ . Sandwiches, salads, pancakes, and more.
- 1 Maallust Brewery, Hoofdweg 140, Veenhuizen, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. April-September Tue-Sun 11:00-18:00; October-March Fri-Sun 11:00-18:00. This local brewery is located in a former flour mill building, that was part of the Veenhuizen prison village. You can visit the brewery to taste their 8 types of beers, and to do a tour of the brewery. Next door is the Kaaslust cheese shop.
A range of hotels, mainly three-star mid-range hotels, is available in Noordenveld, amongst others in the villages of Roden, Norg, and Veenhuizen.
- 1 Fletcher Hotel Langewold, Ceintuurbaan Noord 1, Roden. **** Double room from €79 per night.
- 2 Hotel Onder De Linden, Brink 27, Roden. Double room from €72 per night.
- 3 Hotel Het Wapen van Drenthe, Heerestraat 1, Roden. *** Double room from €67 per night.
- 4 Hotel Norg, Westeind 7, Norg. *** Double room from €80 per night.
- 5 Hotel Karsten, Brink 6, Norg. *** Double room from € 80 per night.
- 6 Hotel Jachtlust Steenbergen, Hoofdweg 22, Steenbergen. *** Double room from €70 per night.
- 7 Hotel Bitter & Zoet, Hospitaallaan 16, Veenhuizen. *** Double room from €69 per night.
Campsites and holiday homesEdit
- 8 Camping Cnossen Leekstermeer, Meerweg 13, Nietap. Campsite along the shores of the Leekstermeer lake
- 9 Camping Dorado, Norgerweg 19, Roden, ☏ . Campsite just outside of the village of Roden, which also offers small holiday cottages.
- 10 De Norgerberg, Langeloërweg 63, Norg, ☏ . Luxury campsite in the forested area of Norg, with also holiday homes and special accommodations such as a treehouse.
- 11 Recreatiecentrum Ronostrand, Amerika 16, Een, ☏ . Campsite, mobilhomes and cottages, with a small swimming lake and bar/restaurant.
- Westerkwartier — wetland and bocage area just across the border in Groningen province, with the Nienoord estate
- Assen — the provincial capital of Drenthe
- Groningen — the economic and cultural centre of the Northern Netherlands