town in Western Australia
Norseman is both a town in the Goldfields-Esperance region in the state of Western Australia and a road junction, the start (western end) of the Eyre Highway and a mid-point on the Coolgardie-Esperance Highway.
As a junction it has a few roadhouses that are the last generally well stocked shops of their type before the crossing if you are travelling on the long and desolate journey east to South Australia. Things are not necessarily cheaper here compared to Nullarbor stopping places, but they appear more plentiful on the shelves. If you have last minute checks before the crossing, now is the time and place to do it.
- From the East on the Eyre highway - coming in off the Nullarbor crossing
- From the north on the Coolgardie Esperance Highway - Coolgardie
- From the west - for the brave - there is the Hyden Norseman road, but check out about conditions before attempting in any sort of vehicle
- From the south on the Coolgardie Esperance Highway - Esperance
- If Lake Cowan has water - well worth checking out at vantage points close to town
- 1 Dundas (signposted turnoff from the Goldfields Highway 20km south of Norseman). Explore the site of this town that was intended to be the local centre but lost out to Norseman when gold was found there. There are a few placards at the front and some of the streets are signed but little remains apart from a lone grave that is hard to find. "Site 10" is the dam built for the town a little east. Just west of the town are the Dundas Rocks that are good to walk up and enjoy the views. Heading north from town is a 26km dirt historic route that could be worth exploring, especially if starting from Norseman as the sites seem to be numbered from there.
The Railway Motel and Woodlands Guesthouse has a restaurant (see contact details below under #Sleep)
- The Railway Motel and Woodlands Guesthouse, 106 Roberts St, ☏ +61 8 9039 0003. Check-in: 2:30PM, check-out: 10:30AM. Includes a restaurant as well.
- Travelling north
- Travelling east
- The Nullarbor! and all the places along the way
- Travelling west
- Some very rough bush tracks exist near here
- Travelling south