Norwich, also known as The Rose of New England is a city in southeastern Connecticut surrounded by other thriving Connecticut cities such as Hartford, New Haven, and New London. In 2018, the population was 38,000. Norwich was founded in 1659 when settlers from Old Saybrook, Connecticut, purchased land from Chief Uncas, leader of the Mohegan Native American tribe. Because of this, with a short drive you can enter Uncasville where the magnificent Mohegan Sun Casino is located.
The city was founded as Norwichtown in 1659 by settlers from Saybrook Colony. They purchased the land "nine miles square" that became Norwich from Mohegan Sachem Uncas. In 1668, a wharf was established at Yantic Cove. By 1694, the public landing built at the head of the Thames River allowed ships to unload goods at the harbor; the harbor area is known as the Chelsea neighborhood. By the late 18th century, shipping at the harbor became far more important than farming, especially when industrial mills began manufacturing on the three smaller rivers. By the early 19th century, the center of Norwich had effectively moved to the Chelsea neighborhood.
Norwich merchants were shipping goods directly from England, but the Stamp Act of 1764 forced Norwich to become more self-sufficient. Large mills and factories sprang up at the falls on the rivers which traverse the town. The ship captains of Norwich and New London were skillful at avoiding Imperial taxation during peacetime and were later just as successful eluding warships during the American Revolution. Norwich supported the cause for independence by supplying soldiers, ships, and munitions, and it was also a center of activity for the Sons of Liberty.
Regular steamship service between New York and Boston helped Norwich to prosper as a shipping center through the early part of the 19th century. During the Civil War, Norwich's textile, armaments, and specialty item manufacturing expanded. This was also spurred by the building of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad in 1832–1837, bringing goods and people in and out of Norwich. By the 1870s, the Springfield and New London Railroad was also running trains through Norwich.
Southeast Area Transit District is a bus service, also known as SEAT, that makes daily stops from Norwich to New London, Foxwoods, Groton, Lisbon Landing, Mohegan Sun Casino and provides service to stop along this route at any time.
- Norwich Taxi [[phone|+1 860 848-2227
- Rose City Taxi ☏ 225 Main St
- 1 Slater Memorial Museum (located on the prestigious Norwich Free Academy campus), toll-free: . Tuesday - Friday 9AM - 4PM and Saturday & Sunday 1PM - 4PM. The museum has been open for over 100 years providing to the general public a chance to see original casts from some of the most extraordinary sculptures from the La Pieta, the David, and a towering pedestal with the Greek God Nike placed on top. It is free admission to view the museum's mix of American, Asian, and African cultures.
Leffingwell House Museum was built in the 1600s and was home to Christopher Leffingwell who was a provisioner to George Washington during the American Revolution. The house is a collection of antique home furnishings and brings you into life during this time period. Located at intersection of Route 2 and 348 Washington Street. Open seasonally and by appointment. Call +1 860 889-9440 for information.
Norwich Rose Garden is located on Rockwell Street in Mohegan Park. Norwich is called the Rose city and keeps this name alive with a collection of 2,500 rose bushes in over 120 different varieties. The best time to visit this Rose Garden is during the month of June when the roses are first beginning to bloom and continue to grow throughout the summer.
City of Norwich Ice Rink at 641 New London Turnpike offers skating time for any level skater as well as hockey teams and can also be rented out for private parties. For a listing of prices and times call ☏.
The Norwich Golf Course at 685 New London Turnpike is one of New England's premiere golf courses, ☏.
Norwich Bowling and Entertainment Center has just been redesigned to give a retro atmosphere including a bar, several lanes, an arcade, and pool tables. 188 West Town St ☏.
- Norwichtown Shopping Mall, 42 Town Street, ☏ .
- La Stella Pizza offers New York styled brick oven pizza and other delicious Italian dishes, 1 Market Street, ☏ .
- Visit Manny's Restaurant for pizza, grinders, seafood, pasta, and other entrees with an inexpensive price and large portions, 724 Boswell Avenue, ☏ .
- Vocatura's is a local favorite featuring an authentic Italian deli on the west and east side of Norwich, 695 Boswell Ave, ☏ .
- Infinity Palace Chinese food, 77 Salem Tpke Ste 115, ☏ .
- [[Prime 82], 181 West Town Street, ☏ , all American type food with steaks being their signature meal
- Mahzu's features the cities best sushi and Japanese cuisine, 624 West Main Street, ☏ .
- Billy Wilson's Aging Still 57 Broadway, ☏ .
- Chaser's Bar and Grill 78 Franklin Street
- Bella Notte Night Club 543 West Thames St., ☏ .
- Harp and Dragon is an Irish pub that also serves food, 130 Main St # A, ☏ .
|Routes through Norwich|
|Worcester via ← Webster ←||N S||→ Montville → New Haven via|