St. Charles, Missouri is located just outside of St. Louis on the bank of the Missouri River. It was Missouri's first state capital and was one of the first stops by Lewis and Clark on their journey to explore the Louisiana Territory. Its historic Main Street has largely been restored to its 1812-era appearance and is lined with shops selling artwork, handicrafts, home decorations, and antiques. There are also many restaurants.
St. Charles is located on I-70 about 15 minutes West of St. Louis Lambert International Airport.
The city's historic district and casino are easily accessible on foot from the public parking garage on North Second St. next to the courthouse. Parking on Main Street itself is often difficult to find during the day, but lots on either side of this strip are usually free and open outside of special events. Little public transportation is available, but horse-drawn carriages make an enjoyable, if not entirely practical, way to visit the historic area.
- American Cab, 211 E Elm St # 3A, O'Fallon +1 636 379-1060
- Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Museum, 1050 Riverside Drive, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM. Historic buildings and parks. Adults $2.50, under 17 $1.50.
- 1 First Missouri State Capitol State Historic Site, 200-16 South Main Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A great place to visit.
- 2 Foundry Art Centre, 520 North Main Center, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM Su 12PM-4PM.. Has a great collection of art and exhibitions along with art classes.
- 3 Weldon Spring Site Interpretive Center, 7295 Hwy 94 S.
- 1 Ameristar Casino (located a 10min walk south of the historic area). Watch the parades.
- Attend the many festivals on Main Street and nearby Frontier Park.
- 2 Main St. Boasts many great restaurants with patios overlooking Main St. The street itself is stone-paved with many shops and boutiques. The central parkette offers public restrooms disguised under a beautifully landscaped garden and gazebo. The many benches along the street allows for a break to rest tired feet.
- Hike or bike the Katy Trail, the longest rails to trails park in the U.S.
- The RecPlex in nearby St. Peters offers swimming, diving, a fitness center, indoor jogging, ice skating, and rock climbing and has been the home of U.S. Olympic Trial diving competition.
- There are a number of county and city parks offering a wide variety of activities , and .
- 3 Swing-A-Round St. Charles. - located in St. Charles
- Historic Main Street has largely been restored to its 1812-era appearance and is lined with shops selling artwork, handicrafts, home decorations, and antiques.
There are many fine restaurants in St. Charles City and County among them are:
On North Main St.:
- Llewelyn's Pub.
- Lewis and Clark American Restaurant and Public House.
- The Trailhead Brewery.
- Tony's on Main Street.
- Big A's.
- The Mother-in-Law House.
- Little Hills Winery.
Others in the City:
- Pio's on First Capital Drive.
- Concetta's on First Capital Drive.
- Shogun Japanese Steak and SuShi.
- Vivian Vineyards North Second St.
In the County:
- Rizzo's Mexico Rd. in O'Fallon.
- Erio's Jungerman in St. Peters.
- Vista Grande Mid-Rivers Mall Drive, St. Peters.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar, 3020 Highway K, O'Fallon, 379-3994
- City Club Tavern, corner of First Capitol and Main Street. Loud, smoky watering hole for locals lacking anything in the way of class or style. An increasingly popular hangout for twenty-somethings looking for a bargain. Bands play on some Friday nights and pool is free in the back. $2 domestic bottles. $3 specialty. $7 pitchers. Open till 1:30AM. Cash only.
- Llewelyn's Pub, on Main St. is a converted bank with great food and daily specials. The outdoor patio offers a great place to eat while overlooking the Missouri River. The restaurant offers a variety of food with one of the best Caesar salads around. Private dining can be had in the vault with its original vault door nicely on display.
- Ethyl's Smokehouse & Saloon, 8505 Veterans Memorial Pkwy, O'Fallon, ☏ .
- Embassy Suites St. Charles, Two Convention Center Plaza, ☏ . Connected to the new 150,000 sq-ft Saint Charles Convention Center.
- 1 [dead link] Quality Inn & Suites St Charles, 1425 South Fifth Street, St. Charles, Missouri 63301, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers pet-friendly accommodations and services including an indoor swimming pool. Cheap accommodations—rooms match the price.
- Country Inn & Suites, 1175 Technology Dr, O' Fallon, ☏ .
- Staybridge Suites, 1155 Technology Drive, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Belongs to the Intercontinental Hotel Group (with Holiday Inn). They have many facilities for customer convenience like free laundry facility use, pick and drop within 5 miles.
St. Charles County is filled with things to see and do. The Missouri Weinstrasse, State Highway 94, offers a lovely drive through the Missouri wine country, with many wineries to visit and scenic overlooks as it winds its way through hills and valleys and quaint villages along the Missouri River. The Daniel Boone Home and Village is nearby with tours for the public. The August Busch Conservation Area, just minutes from down town St. Charles offers a multitude of lakes for fishing, hiking trails, a shooting range and a nature museum.
- Troy is a short drive from St. Charles and offers many place to shop and eat as well as Cuivre River State Park. The State Park offers acres and acres of hiking, fishing, hunting and swimming.
|Routes through St. Charles|
|Columbia ← O'Fallon ←||W E||→ Earth City → St. Louis|