The Allgäu is the south-eastern part of Bavarian Swabia at the northside of the Alps. The biggest part of it is located in Bavaria, a smaller one in Baden-Württemberg, but also on the borderland of Austria with the Kleinwalsertal belongs to Allgäu.
There is a political division of the Allgäu into the German counties of Oberallgäu, Ostallgäu and Lindau. It also contains parts of the Württembergian county of Ravensburg. The county of Unterallgäu belongs about 2% to Allgäu. The rest of the county is a part of the Middle-Swabian territory.
In geographic aspects the Alps form the demarcation of the southern part of Allgäu. The river Lech is the south-eastern border. The western frontier runs by Lindau and Wangen, generally Memmingen is seen as northernmost city of Allgäu.
Southern Allgäu is embossed by high mountains. The highest summit on the German side of the region is the "Mädelegabel" with 2645 metres. The highest top at all is "Großer Krottenkopf" with 2656 metres in North-Tyrol. In the west of the high mountained Allgäu there is Kleinwalsertal, a valley that can be travelled on the German side, but belongs to the Austrian state of Vorarlberg.
North of the high alpine parts around Oberstdorf plus in the west the alps of Allgäu are embossed by lower and wooded ridges.
In the foothills of the Alps the landscape is embossed by the boulder periods. Moraines form a hilly scenery with can reach heights over 1000 metres. Northwards nearly the line of Dietmannsried - Kaufbeuren these moraines expire and Allgäu turns into Middle Swabia.
The Allgäu is embossed by grasslands and numerous lakes - from tarns to the Forggensee with shipping.
- Unterallgäu - only the southernmost part of the county of Unterallgäu nearly Bad Grönenbach belongs to the Allgäu, the rest of it to Middle- and Upper Swabia.
- Westallgäu - The Westallgäu mostly consists of the county of Lindau and the Wurttembergian Allgäu of the county of Ravensburg in Baden-Wurttemberg with the cities of Wangen, Isny and Leutkirch
- Oberallgäu - Oberallgäu is located around the city of Kempten, from Dietmannsried in the north to Oberstdorf in the south
- Allgäu Alps with the Allgäu high Alps southern and eastern of Oberstdorf and the Hörnergruppe south-western of Immenstadt.
- Kleinwalsertal in the state of Vorarlberg
- Ostallgäu - Ostallgäu is located around the city of Kaufbeuren
- Tannheimer Berge and the enclave Jungholz in the state of Tyrol
Other destinations edit
- 1 Kleinwalsertal (Austria)
- Fellhorn: In spring also known as Blumenberg. In winter it is in company with the Kanzelwand one of the most modern skiing regions.
- Hoher Ifen and Gottesackerplateau: unique Karst-plateau.
- Alatsee: mountain lake near by Füssen, a popular swimming lake due to position
- Waterfalls in 5 Scheidegg
The Allgäu is a touristic region. The landscape is characterized by mountains and lakes. Apart from tourism this region has traditionally been a center of dairy-farming.
Get in edit
By plane edit
By train edit
By car edit
From north by Autobahn 7 and Autobahn 9 and Autobahn 96. From east by Autobahn 96 (from Munich) and federal highway 472 (from the direction of Garmisch). From south from Fernpass or Bregenz.
Get around edit
The most important places of interest can be reached by train or by bus.
- During summer: discover the beauty of the landscape, do some hiking, mountain biking or climbing.
- In winter: skiing, ski mountaineering, cross-country skiing.
- 3 Allgäu Skyline Park. An amusement park with over 40 attractions, of which 6 are roller coasters and 5 water rides.
- Routes for a huge variety of mountain sports as well as huts and weather information can be found on the website of the german alps society DAV at alpenvereinaktiv.com. You can also download the routes on the website outdooractive.com or on the mobile app outdooractive and use it for navigating with your mobile device.
A typical regional meal are the Kässpätzle, type of egg noodle of soft texture with cheese topping.
At most pubs you will find beer from regional breweries.