census-designated place in Sonoma County, California
Just to the south of Occidental is the village of Freestone (a total of 26 homes, widely scattered); attractions in Freestone are also listed below.
- 1 St Dorothy's Rest, 160 St Dorothy Ave, Camp Meeker, ☏ . Retreat
- Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary, Freestone
- Sonoma Canopy Tours, 6250 Bohemian Highway, toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. A very different way to see a redwood forest - two different courses, each taking two-and-a-half hours, which include multiple zip lines, sky bridges, a majestic spiral staircase, and a rappel to the forest floor. Open year-round. $99 and $119 for the two tours.
- Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary, 209 Bohemian Hwy, Freestone, ☏ . On a five-acre site adjacent to Salmon Creek, you'll find a traditional Japanese Tea Garden, a Zen Garden, private pagodas, a tree-shaded group picnic area, and the main buildings for cedar enzyme baths, massage and body treatments, formal classes, and individual meditation.
- Barley and Hops Tavern, 3688 Bohemian Highway, ☏ . M-Th 4-9:30, Fri 4-10, Sat 11-10, Sun 11-9:30. 100% From scratch pub grub under 15.00 and over 50 craft beers from around the world in a cozy Victorian home, nestled in downtown Occidental. $.
- Howard Station Cafe (Howard's), 3611 Main St, ☏ . A West County classic, owned by one of the three major Italian families of Occidental. Howard's is the best place for breakfast, with fresh juices, smoothies and specials. Try the Corn-meal Pancakes and watch the locals come in and out. On a sunny weekend morning don't be surprised to see large groups of cyclist eating before or after a long, hard ride on the ridge line.
- Wild Flour Bread, 140 Bohemian Hwy, Freestone, ☏ . Fri-Mon 8AM-6:30PM. Brick-oven-baked sourdough breads, scones, and biscotti, and coffee drinks. It's almost always busy, but the line moves quickly (phone orders NOT accepted). And if you have a few extra minutes, check out the beautiful garden just off the parking lot.