Oil City grew large after oil was struck in Titusville. If was ffounded in 1860 on the site of a Seneca Indian village. It burgeoned as an oilcentre after the drilling of the world's first oil well (in 1859) at Titusville, about 16 miles up Oil Creek. Incorporated as a borough in 1862, it became a city in 1871 after merging with Venango City.
- Hasson Park. Hasson Park is 48 acres of open and forested land containing many activities for the public. Hiking trials wind through the park amid a collection of rare rhododendron which are abundant with blooming color in the spring. A playground is located centrally and pavilions are available for picnics and parties. Immediately adjacent to Hasson Park is the public swimming pool, DekHockey rink, Skate Park, and ball fields.
- 3 Oil Creek State Park, 305 State Park Rd.
- Samuel Justus Recreation Trail.
- Oil City Marina. The 7-acre Oil City Marina is one of only three public access points to the Allegheny River in Venango County. The Marina provides a boat launch, picnic area, fishing, access to the Justus Trail (part of the Erie to Pittsburgh Trail), parking, and public restrooms. The City is undergoing a process to improve the Marina to provide additional amenities and features to benefit residents and visitors.
- Arts in the Park:. Friday evening concerts July through August.
- Oil Heritage Festival (OHF), Oil City. July. Car show, artisan & fine crafts fair, children's events, concerts, parade and fireworks.
- Oil City Indie Music Festival.
- Pipeline Alley Concerts. mid-day concerts in Pipeline Alley every Wednesday at noon throughout the summer.
- The Cranberry Mall (Oil City Mall), 6945 US Route 322, Cranberry Township. Movie theatre and 60 stores.
- Oil City Antique Warehouse.
- The Attic, 407 E 2nd St, ☏ .
- Agway, 550 North Seneca Street.
- Aqua World, 17 Main Street.
- Buyers Fair, 358 North Seneca Street.
- Harbor Freight.
- Aarons Appliances.
- Walmart Supercenter.
- Bath & Body Works.
- Label Shopper
- famoores Family Restaurant, 18 East First Street, Oil City Pa 16301, ☏ .
- Karma Coffee Company, 237 Seneca Street Oil City Pa 16301, ☏ .
- Northside Eatery, 219 Seneca Street, ☏ .
- Yellow Dog Lantern Restaurant, 218 Elm St, ☏ . $$$$.
- The Taco Shack, 222 Center Street.
- Casey's Restaurant and Lounge, 630 North Seneca Street.
- Villa Italia, 904 East 2nd Street, ☏ . Convenience-store chain offering drinks & food, including pizza, sandwiches & baked goods.
- Double Play Sports Bar.
- Valley Dairy, 80 Regina Drive. $.
- Bob Evans, 27 Kimberly Lane.
- Hoss's Sea & Steak House, 2432 PA-257.
- Rockos Pizza
- Days Inn by Wyndham Oil City Conference Center (Arlington Hotel), 1 Seneca St, ☏ .
|Routes through Oil City|
|Youngstown ← Franklin ←||W E||→ Warren → Buffalo|
|Erie ← Titusville ←||N S||→ Franklin → Pittsburgh|