Omkareshawar is 80 km from Indore. It is a religious place, one of the 12 Jyotirlings of Shiva.
Rani Ahilyabai Airport at Indore (80 km) is the nearest airport.
Road connectivity is good with Indore and Maheshwar, both 80 km from Omkareshwar. Bus and taxis are available from both the places. There is a bus stand in city centre. During days buses are easily available.
The nearest railway stations are Khandwa Junction (70 km) and Indore (80 km). Buses are available from Khandwa. However Indore is more well connected. The other railway station which is not in the main line is Omkareshwar Road (12 km).
Omkareshwar is a small town and the main temple is on an island connected by two foot bridges. Hence walking is the best option to explore the city. Both the main temples of Omkareshwar and Mamleshwar are within walkable distance.
- Take a dip into the holy Narmada River.
- Enjoy a boat ride on the Narmada.
- Omkareshwar Parikrama (Circumscribing the island of Omkareshwar).
As a holy city, Omkareshwar is strictly vegetarian.
- Maharashtriyan Brahmin Padhit Bhojnalaya. A very good place to eat lunch or dinner. ₹60 per plate.
There is a very good facility run by Sant Gajanan Seva Sansthan that provides food and accommodations at "reasonable" rates. There were 2 or 3 guesthouses in town catering to foreigners in 2012, with the usual prices, comparable to other North Indian locations. Just ask, the town is very small.
- 1 Narmada Resort (Run by Madhya Pradesh Tourism). Provides a grand view of the Omkareshwar temple along with Narmada River. Food here is good too.