Oyabe is host to an interesting collection of Western-influenced buildings, which stand prominent against the surrounding traditional Japanese landscape. Oyabe is proud of its 35 "Marchen" (fairy-tale) buildings, each with its own unique architecture. Most of the buildings were designed in the style of famous locations in Europe and Japan, and some feature an interesting blend of styles. Many of these buildings are schools and community centers, and are still bustling with activity.
Oyabe is also famous for the Tsuzawa Yotaka festival, which is 400 years old and has been passed down from generation to generation in 84 different locations in Oyabe. This night event is held on the 10th and 11th of June.
The nearest city of any size is Kanazawa, from where you can take the IR Ishikawa Railway to 1 Isurugi Station (石動駅), which is on the Ainokaze Toyama Railway (25 minutes, ¥500). From Toyama it's slightly farther; take the Ainokaze Toyama Railway (35 minutes, ¥660).
- Miyajima Gorge (宮島峡). It is known for its clear countryside streams and beautiful scenery. There are 12 waterfalls in the area, including the Ichi-no-Taki Waterfall, otherwise known as the "Little Niagara", the Ni-no-Taki, and the Kannon Waterfall. Konadegawa Dam and hot springs can be found here as well.
- Kurikara Prefectural Park (倶利伽羅県定公園). Eight hundred years ago, the Taira clan clashed against the Minamoto clan at Kurikara. The Minamoto clan won this battle thanks to the ingenious General Kiso Yoshinaka, who led his army to victory by sending a stampede of angry bulls into the enemy's camp with flaming torches tied to their horns. The park is home to the Kurikara Temple and 6000 double-blossomed cherry trees, which bloom in the spring. In the fall, the park is bright with beautiful autumn colors.
- Shiroyama Koen Park (城山公園). Showplace of cherry blossoms
- Miyajima Onsen (宮島温泉).
- Tower-no-yu Onsen (タワーの湯).
- Usugori-Honpo Goro-Maruya (薄氷本舗五郎丸屋). Traditional Japanese cake shop.
- Menrui Shokudo (麺類食堂) (adjacent to Isurugi station). Japanese noodle restaurant.
- Club New Tatsumi (クラブニュー龍美) (near Oyabe city hall).
|Routes through Oyabe|
|Kanazawa ←||W E||→ Toyama|
|Nanao ← Takaoka ←||N S||→ in to|
|in to ←||N S||→ Gokayama → Shirakawa-go|