Padang Sidempuan is the only major city in the southern part of North Sumatra. It is also known as Salak City, because salak fruit is the major commodity produced by most farmers in the area.
- 1 Aek Godang airport (AEG IATA) (about 26 km away at Padang Lawas). It serves domestic flights from Medan, Padang and Sibolga.
The Trans-Sumatran Highway (middle section) runs through the city. Buses are available from major cities in North Sumatra.
The most common way to get around in Padang Sidempuan is by becak motor. Becak motor is a motorized trishaw similar to a cycle rickshaw.
- Simarsayang hill. All the city view can be see from here.
- Salak Monument (Tugu Salak).
- 1 Bahal temple (Candi Bahal), Padang Lawas. Ancient Buddhist temple complex dated to 11th-13th century. The complex consists of 3 individual temple - Candi Bahal I, II and III.
- 1 Lubuk Raya (Gunung Lubuk Raya). The adventurous type may try to climb this mountain.
- KFC, Jl. Merdeka. 6am-10pm. There is the only KFC in Padang Sidempuan.
- Partapean, Pudun.