Pingtung County (屏東縣) is southernmost region of Taiwan reaching down to its extreme southern tip.
There are 33 townships, towns, and urban areas in Pingtung County, each with its own local characteristics and features:
|Northern Pingtung (Pingtung, Jiuru, Ligang, Yanpu, Gaoshu)|
Home to the political and economic centre of the County.
|Central Pingtung (Chaozhou, Wandan, Changzhi, Linluo, Wanluan, Neipu, Zhutian, Xinpi)|
An area with a strong Hakka culture which is famous for its pig's trotters.
|Southern Pingtung (Donggang, Fangliao, Xinyuan, Kanding, Linbian, Nanzhou, Jiadong, Liuqiu)|
A popular starting off point to explore some of the nearby islands.
|Hengchun Peninsula (Hengchun, Fangshan, Checheng, Manzhou)|
Home to the Kenting National Park, as well as a popular area for watersports and resorts.
|Mountain Area (Sandimen, Wutai, Majia, Taiwu, Laiyi, Chunri, Shizi, Mudan)|
An area rich in the culture of the indigineous Taiwanese tribes.
- 2 Chaozhou (潮州) – Named for the city from which the early settlers originally came.
- 3 Donggang (東港) – It has one of Taiwan's largest fishing harbours.
- 4 Hengchun (恆春) – The entryway to Kenting National Park with pristine beaches and a vibrant tourist industry, the Hengchun area often attracts more travelers than local residents.
Pingtung County is connected to other parts of Taiwan by the TRA network. This is also a useful way to get between townships. Stations located within the County are:
|1 Liukuaicuo.||六塊厝||Pingtung line|
|14 Fangliao.||枋寮||Pintung line
|15 Jialu.||加祿||South-link line|
|19 Central Signal.||中央號|
Numerous bus lines, regional and national, cover the region.
Ferry service operates between Donggang Township and Baisha Port and Dafu Port on the offshore Lamay Island
Getting around by bus and bicycle is recommended.
History and cultureEdit
- 1 Hengchun Old Town (恆春縣城). The only castle town in Taiwan where all of the original gates remain standing.
- 2 Kucapungane (好茶村). A Rukai aboriginal village in the mountains of southern Taiwan. Virtually abandoned since the 1970s, the village is well-known for its slate houses.
- 3 Old House of Siiao Family (蕭家祖屋), No. 150, Gouzhu Road, Jiadong Township, ☏ . 09:00-17:00. The house was constructed during the reign of Emperor Xianfeng during the Qing Dynasty. After the handover of Taiwan to Japan in 1895, a conflict broke out between the local residents and the Japanese. Some of the bullet holes from this conflict are still visible in the room walls.
- 4 Wukou Village Liou Family Ancestral Hall (五溝水劉氏宗祠). The Hakka-style hall spans over an area of 1 hectare. It was built with two internal wings, two external wings and Baroque-style walls.
- 5 Yang Family Ancestral Hall (楊氏宗祠). The building was constructed with traditional Hakka architecture style in quadrangle shape. It features a heart-shaped Tai chi pond located in front of the hall.
Museums and galleriesEdit
- 6 Liudui Hakka Cultural Park (六堆客家文化園區). A cultural center focusing on Hakka people and culture. The two main concepts of the park are Hakka village life and natural ecology.
- 7 Museum of Traditional Theater (屏東戲曲故事館). A museum of traditional performing arts, particularly puppetry which remains popular in Taiwan.
- 8 National Museum of Marine Biology and Aquarium (國立海洋生物博物館). Opened in 2000, the complex features an aquarium as well as a water park.
- 9 Pingtung Hakka Cultural Museum (屏東縣客家文物館). The exhibits are divided into Hakka cultivation, Hakka farm life, Hakka life, Hakka culture, and heritage.
- 10 Taipower Exhibit Center in Southern Taiwan (台電南部展示館). The center features exhibition hall, movie theater and an outdoor solar panel.
- 11 Taiwan Indigenous Peoples Cultural Park (台灣原住民文化園區). The cultural park exhibits the lifestyle and cultural heritage of the nine main aboriginal tribes in Taiwan.
- 12 An-Nur Tongkang Mosque (東港清真寺). It is the eighth and latest mosque built in Taiwan. It is also the first mosque in Pingtung County, completed in 2018.
- 13 Chaozhou Zhaolin Temple (潮州朝林宮), ☏ .
- 14 Checheng Fuan Temple (車城福安宮). The largest temple in Taiwan whorshipping Tudigong (土地公 "Lord of the Soil and the Ground").
- 15 Donglong Temple (東港東隆宮). The current temple complex was completed in 1887. The temple organises the Donggang King Boat Ceremony every three years on the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th year of the Chinese calendar.
- 16 Fangliao Bao'an Temple (北勢寮保安宮), ☏ .
- 17 Three Mountains King Temple (九如三山國王廟), No. 174, Ren'ai Street, Jiuru Township, ☏ . Built in 1651, the temple name refers to three mountains in Mainland China: Mount Du, Mount Ming, and Mount Jing
- 18 Wanchin Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (萬金聖母聖殿). The first basilica church in Taiwan, built in 1870.
- 1 Sichongxi Hot Spring (四重溪溫泉). Housed in a Japanese-style building, the water is of alkaline type and rich in sodium carbonate.
- 2 Cycling the Dapeng Bay Bikeway (大鵬灣環灣自行車道), ☏ . A cycling course that runs alongside the Dapeng lagoon.
- 3 Bada Forest Paradise Theme Park (8大森林魔法樂園). The theme park consists of various exhibitions on plantation as well as many amusement rides.
- 4 Penbay International Circuit (大鵬灣國際賽車場). A motorsports venue featuring a 3.5 km long circuit.
Parks and natureEdit
- 5 Beautiful Maiden Cave (美人洞). An explorable cave complex that requires a fee for admission which also allows entry to the nearby Mountain Pig Ditch and Black Dwarf Cave.
- 6 Black Dwarf Cave (烏鬼洞). A large explorable cave on Liuqiu Island.
- 7 Dapeng Bay (大鵬灣). The largest lagoon on the southwest coastline of Taiwan Island.
- 8 Linhousilin Forest Park (林後四林平地森林園區). The park was created as a lowland forest reserve. It spans over a total area of 1,005 ha.
- 9 Longluan Lake (龍鑾潭). The biggest fresh water lake in Taiwan.
- 10 Longpan Park (龍磐公園). A windy park facing out to the Pacific Ocean.
- 11 Shuangliu Forest Recreation Area (雙流國家森林遊樂區). The forest spans an area of 6½ km² at 175–650 m altitude featuring a number of hiking trails.
- Vase Rock (花瓶石). The 9-m tall rock was formed by the rising of the coastal coral reef.
The popular night markets can be found in most towns and cities.
- 1 Caesar Park Hotel Kenting, No.6 Kenting Road, Hengchun Town, ☏ .
- 2 Chateau Beach Resort Kenting (墾丁夏都沙灘酒店), No. 451號, Kending Road, Hengchun Township, ☏ .
- 3 Fullon Resort Kending (福容大飯店), No. 1000, Chuanfan Road, Hengchun Township, ☏ .
- 4 Kentington Resort (小墾丁渡假村). In a 40 ha area, the resort has 304 huts, dining areas, recreational areas and venues for conferences or banquets.