town in Abkhazia
Pitsunda (Abkhaz: Пиҵунда) is a resort town in Abkhazia, 25 km away from Gagra.
- 1 Pitsunda Cathedral. Built in 10th century by King Bagrat III of Georgia in honor of the Apostle Andrew. Until the late 16th century it served as the seat of the Georgian Orthodox Catholicate of Abkhazia. The building itself is notable for its impressive size, reaching 29 m high (including the dome). It also has vestiges of 15th century frescoes. Unfortunately, cathedral does not function any longer, although it hosts concerts of opera singers and choirs.
- 2 Sculpture "Divers", Pitsunda waterfront. Famous sculpture created by Tsereteli which symbolizes a swimming season.
- 3 Lighthouse, Pitsunda waterfront. This iron tower were helping sailors for decades, but now it's just a local landmark and does not function any longer.
- 4 Pitsunda relict pine Reserve. Pine grove stretches along the coast for 4 km from Pitsunda to Lidzava (Ldzaa) and covers an area of about 200 hectares. Age of the trees reaches 200 years.
- 5 Inkit lake (Инкьыт).
- 6 Museum of local lore. Here you can see the original frescoes from Pitsunda Cathedral, icons and paintings of the ancient Greeks, images of fish and animals that were found during archaeological excavations in Pitiunt.
- 7 Museum of Battle Glory.
Village in 4 km from Pitsunda.
- 8 Merchant's house-museum. Displays stuffed animals, models of rural houses, antique household items, collection of samovars, postcards and photographs, folk artists, etc.
- 9 House-Museum of Khetsuriani, 3 Adamia st., ☏ +7 940 9941592. Museum is named after its founder, the collector and folk artist George Khetsuriani, which devoted his life to collecting original historical and ethnographic items. There is even a "Mercedes" chaise, which was owned by the Prince of Oldenburg - founder of Gagra. It also features a few large bas-reliefs and forged items. Besides, museum also houses an "Old Mill" tavern and a guest house.
- 1 Central Beach. Swim or sun bath at this several km long wide pebble beach.
- 1 Abkhazian Dvor.
Association of pensions "Pitsunda Resort" includes seven 14-storey buildings located in the center of the town near the beach:
- Sukhumi — capital
- New Athos (Novy Afon)