Port Charlotte is a city in Southwest Florida located roughly 30 miles north of Fort Myers and 40 miles south of Sarasota on the gulf coast of Florida. Port Charlotte boasts a growing population of 46,451 (2000 census). Port Charlotte became nationally recognized when in August, 2004, Hurricane Charley, took a last minute turn and devastated the area and surrounding city of Punta Gorda.
A town boasting a population of approximately 45,000, Port Charlotte has become a tourist destination for many who want the beauty of Florida, but not the tourist crowds of Orlando or Tampa. Nestled in Charlotte Harbor, visitors can take cruises through the harbor, play a round of mini-golf or swim in the harbor.
Port Charlotte is accessible by boat, plane or car. Located just off of I-75, Port Charlotte's town center is approximately a 5 minute drive. Visitors can also reach Port Charlotte by traveling along Tamiami Trail (US 41), which runs parallel to I-75. From Tampa, travelers must head South. Fort Myers requires travelers to travel North.
By plane, travelers should travel to Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers, or travel to Sarasota Bradenton Airport in Sarasota. Both airports are between a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from Port Charlotte.
- Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport (SRQ IATA), 6000 Airport Circle, Sarasota, ☏ . Located on the border between Sarasota and Manatee counties.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW IATA), 11000 Terminal Access Road, Fort Myers, ☏ . Located in Lee County.
- Punta Gorda Airport in Punta Gorda offers regularly scheduled commercial flights.
Port Charlotte has one primary expressway, I-75, which runs north to south. The major roads within Port Charlotte include the Tamiami Trail (which is the name given to US 41 between Tampa and Miami) running north-to-south, and El Jobean Rd/Veterans' Blvd. (FL-776) running east-to-west.
By boat, visitors can reach Port Charlotte by entering Charlotte Harbor. However, rental spaces for boats are limited and can be expensive.
- miniature golf
- rent jet skis or a boat.
- There are many parks and sailboat races on the weekends.
- Fishing tournaments
- Town Center Stadium 16, 1441 Tamiami Trail (Port Charlotte Town Center).
- 1 Port Charlotte Town Center. Located at the intersection of Tamiami Trail and Veterans' Blvd. Stores include Bealls, Dillard's, JCPenney, macy*s, Sears, and Old Navy. All together over 50 stores in the mall and the out parcels and surrounding Strip malls have Target, K Mart, Wal Mart, Office Depot, Staples, Radio Shack, Bealls Outlet and Home stores. Furniture stores galore! Many new car dealerships too!
Red Lobster, Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Steak Houses and Sea Food Restaurants along with all the major fast food places. There is a wide variety of places to eat in Port Charlotte.
Port Charlotte is quickly becoming a tourist destination for those who want the convenience of being close to major cities, such as Sarasota, Tampa, Fort Myers, and Naples, yet want a quiet place to relax. Port Charlotte is home to several hotels, including Best Western, and also has a fabulous rental company, Port Charlotte Florida Homebuilders, which rents out hundreds of homes in the cities. These homes have their own private pools and are quite large, ranging from 2000 square feet to 3000 square feet.
- [dead link] Port Charlotte Microtel Inn & Suites. 4056 Tamiami Trail. Microtel is pleased to be the first economy/budget hotel brand to offer guests free local and free long distance calls in the continental United States, and free wireless high-speed Internet access in every room of its hotels, as well as advance online check-in and check-out with unlimited access to online folio information.
- Sleep Inn & Suites Port Charlotte, 806 Kings Highway, ☏ . Check-in: 3 PM, check-out: 11 AM. Sleep Inn and Suites Port Charlotte is located at exit 170 off Interstate 75, next to Cracker Barrel. The hotel offers 78 rooms equipped with 32" flat-panel LCD HDTVs. We offer free continental breakfast, access to gym facilities, a seasonal outdoor pool and whirlpool suites. The hotel is pet friendly.