Port Clinton, "The Walleye Capital of the World", is a fishing village and vacation spot on the north shore of Ohio. Most visitors to Port Clinton are parking and boarding boats and ferries to enjoy Lake Erie and Lake Erie Islands. It is a very clean and friendly place with plenty of places to sleep, eat and drink. The waterfront is downtown and the activity surrounds the marinas. Ferries leave to the islands frequently. With a population of 6,000 in 2019, it is the only city in Ottawa County. Locals refer to Port Clinton as one of Ohio's quaint drinking villages, with an occasional fishing problem.
Get in edit
By boat edit
- 1 The Jet Express (located downtown), toll-free: . High-speed ferry that offers trips to Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay.
Boat launch edit
- Little Portage Access, Darr Hopfinger Rd.
- Portage River Fishing Access (SR 163).
- 2 Brands Marina, 451 W. Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- 3 Coastal Marine II, 537 W. Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- 4 Lakefront Marina, 1805 W Lakeshore Dr, toll-free: .
By car edit
From Columbus, head north on US 23 to Ohio State Route 4. At Ohio 2 head West. Exit OH 2 at the first OH 163 exit.
From Cleveland, head west on OH 2, exiting at OH 163.
From Toledo, head East on OH 2. For a scenic route, follow Lakeshore Drive (just past the Red Horse National Guard base), or else exit at the OH 163 exit.
By plane edit
- Toledo Express Airport (TOL IATA)
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE IATA)
- 5 Erie-Ottawa County International Airport (FAA LID: PCW), 3255 E State Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. Flights to the Lake Erie islands are often arranged here. Can accept international visitors, but the customs have minimal facilities compared to larger airports, so it may take longer.
Get around edit
- 1 Liberty Aviation Museum, 3515 E State Rd, ☏ . An aviation museum at the Erie Ottawa International Airport with a heavy emphasis on aviation from the 1920s to the 1940s.
- 2 Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, 14000 W SR 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A popular spot for watching large birds, such as eagles.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:12PM local time and lasts 3 min 30 sec. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, then along the Canada–New England border.
Plenty to do here. Fishing charters, head boats, ferries, marina's all located downtown on water front. Nice public beaches, parks.
- 1 Monsoon Lagoon Waterpark.
- Great Lakes Popcorn Co., 60 Madison St, ☏ . Sample more than 30 flavors of popcorn including Vanilla Butternut, Rootbeer, Jelly Bean and so on. The production process is done in front of customers.
- 2 African Wildlife Safari, 267 Lightner Rd (off SR 163), ☏ , toll-free: . This drive-thru safari has exotic animals, camel and pony rides, entertaining and educational animal shows, pig races, gift shop, picnic facilities, a snack bar and café and grill.
- Annual Main Street Port Clinton Walleye Festival (Main Street Port Clinton). Annual event in May.
- Fast Eddie's Sport's Park, 280 SE Catawba Rd, ☏ . Daily 11AM-10PM. (SR 53) 18-hole mini-golf, go-carts, bumper boats, arcade, pizza. Open Memorial Day/Labor Day.
- Annual New Years Eve Walleye Drop (Downtown Port Clinton). Annually on December 31.
- 3 Camp Perry. National Guard Base with one of the largest firing ranges in the world. Often has open ranges for civilian marksmanship.
- 4 Port Clinton City Beach, Perry St (SR 163).
Fishing charters edit
- FishinFul/Myrmidon Charters, 1124 Lee Ave, ☏ . Apr 1-Oct 31
- Lakeland Charters, 2021 NE Catawba Rd (Brands West Dock), ☏ .
- Sassy Sal Charters, 40 Jefferson St, ☏ . (SR 163).
- Shore-Nuf Charters, 247 Lakeshore Drive, ☏ . Head-boats - $30-35 per head.
Welcome Center edit
- Cheese Haven, 2920 E Harbor Rd (SR 163, east of Port Clinton), ☏ . The largest cheese ohop in Ohio. Providing cheese, smoked meat and fish, BBQ ribs, wine, beer, candy since 1949. Some free samples for tasting.
- Gideon Owen Wine Company, 3845 E Wine Cellar Rd (on Catawba Island), ☏ , toll-free: .
- Jims Taxidermy, 2133 E. Harbor Rd, ☏ .
- Northcoast Canvas, 250 SE Catawba, +1 419-734-5453 Marine upholstery, enclosures, storage and canvas shop.
- Jolly Roger Seafood House, 1737 E Perry St, ☏ . Dine inside, outside or carry-out. Fresh Lake Erie fish, shrimp, soups. Great food! Closed part of winter.
- Mr Ed's Bar & Grill, 255 W Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- Commodore Perry Inn & Suites, 255 W Lakeshore Dr, ☏ , email@example.com. ~$60.
- Our Guest Inn & Suites, 220 E Perry St. ~$40-60.
- 1 Super 8.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton-Catawba Island, 50 NE Catawba Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Free breakfast & WiFi ~$105.
- 2 Camp Perry Lodging and Conference Center (CPLCC), 1000 Lawrence Rd, ☏ . Accepts civilians. $106 (Motel Double).
Bed & Breakfast edit
Go next edit
- Catawba Island
- Cedar Point
- Milan Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison, inventor.
|Routes through Port Clinton|
|Toledo ← Oregon ←||W E||→ Sandusky → Cleveland|
|Upper Sandusky ← Fremont ←||S N||→ Catawba Island → END|
|Perrysburg via ←||W E||→ Lakeside → Marblehead|