Portage once known for its production of celery continues to be a producer of various goods sitting at the intersection of US 131 and I-94 roughly halfway between Chicago and Detroit and a short drive to Grand Rapids and South Bend.
- 1 Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport (AZO IATA). Serving Kalamazoo and the surrounding area, offers multiple daily flights to Chicago (on American Eagle) and Detroit (on Delta Connection).
Portage lies on Interstate 94 roughly mid-way between Chicago and Detroit and along US Highway 131 just south of Kalamazoo.
- 2 Kalamazoo Transportation Center. Amtrak offers service to Chicago and Ann Arbor/Detroit several times daily on the Wolverine Service as well as to East Lansing, Flint, and Port Huron on the Blue Water Service. You will need to catch a bus, taxi, or car to Portage from the train station.
The Kalamazoo downtown train station acts as the main regional bus station where you can change to the Kalamazoo Metro bus service to get to Portage.
- Metro Transit. Bus service is provided throughout Portage and its neighboring towns.
- 1 Air Zoo, 6151 Portage Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . An Aerospace museum with a large collection of rare historical planes.
- 2 Celebration Cinema Crossroads, 6600 Ring Rd, ☏ .
- 3 Bishop's Bog Preserve, 9920 S Westnedge Ave.
- 4 Celery Flats Historic Area (Celery Flats), 7335 Garden Lane Portage, MI 49002. 8AM-Dusk. Explore the history of Portage, Michigan. In this location a historical garden, small museum, house, Hayloft Theatre, barn, and church are available to tour. Free to walk around, check the City website for tour hours. $0.00.
- 5 Central Park, 7800 Shaver Rd.
- 6 Eliason Nature Reserve, 1614 W Osterhout.
- 7 Harbors West Park, 3458 Summersong Path.
- 8 Haverhill Park, 6577 Hampton St.
- 9 Lakeview Park, 9345 Portage Rd.
- 10 Lexington Green Park, 4750 Pittsford St.
- 11 Liberty Park, 7647 S Westnedge.
- 12 Millennium Park, 280 Romence Rd.
- 13 Oakland Drive Park, 7650 Oakland Dr.
- 14 Portage Creek Bicentennial Park, 910 E Milham Ave.
- 15 Ramona Park & Beach, 8600 S Sprinkle Rd.
- 16 Schrier Park, 850 W Osterhout Rd.
- 17 South Westnedge Park, 9010 S Westnedge.
- 18 Veterans Memorial Park, 300 Library Ln.
- 19 West Lake Nature Preserve, 9001 S Westnedge.
- 20 Westfield Park, 4500 W Milham Ave.
- Escapology, 5600 Portage Rd, ☏ , ✉ Portage@escapology.com. A puzzle based escape room.
- 1 Ice Rink at Millennium Park, 280 Romence Rd. Go ice skating Between December and March, but check the website for changes.
- 2 Airway Fun Center, 5626 Portage Rd, ☏ . Bowling, laser tag, go-carts, high ropes, arcade and more for all ages.
- 1 Crossroads Mall, 6650 South Westnedge Ave (Take I-94 to Exit 78 Southbound. Continue down Westnedge, go through many sets of lights, turn right when you see signs for THE CROSSROADS), ☏ .
- 2 Southland Mall, Corner of Westnedge and Milham (From I-94, take exit 78 southbound, head south until you hit Milham Ave., mall is on right.).
- 3 Portage Farmers Market, 7900 South Westnedge Ave. May to October at City Hall.
- Erbellis, 8342 Portage Rd, ☏ .
- Fieldstone Grill, 3970 West Centre Ave, ☏ .
- 1 Brann’s, 700 M L King Dr, ☏ .
- 2 West Lake Drive-In, 9183 Portage Rd, ☏ .
- 3 Kitty Hawk Cafe (Kitty Hawk Cafe @ the Air Zoo), 6151 Portage Rd, ☏ .
- 4 COVE Lakeside Bistro, 9110 Portage Rd, ☏ .