Puerto del Rosario is the capital of Fuerteventura.
Aboyt 39,000 people (2018) live in this harbour city at the east of the island - 1/3rd of the island's population. Wile it is cultural and economic center of the island, it is not too interesting for tourists.
The city was founded around 1795. At that time, the town of Puerto de Cabras was called "Goat Harbor". This very prosaic name was laid in 1957 in favor of the better-sounding Puerto del Rosario, "Port of the Rosary Madonna", which refers to a church in the center of the city. In the 19th century, the port was an important hub for burned lime and, in particular, the "Karmin" dye, which was extracted in the vicinity of the town. Puerto del Rosario became the largest island on the island and in 1860 finally the island capital.
The municipal area of Puerto is almost 300 km² and extends from the east coast of the island to the west coast.
- 1 Puerto del Rosario. Several ferries run from Tenerife, Grand Canaria, Lanzarote.
- 2 Fuerteventura Airport (El Matorral Airport FUE IATA). Connections from many European airports, although some are seasonal.
- 3 bus station (in the city at "Avenida Constitution"). Many busses start here and reach every larger place on the island. Timetables are tailored to the needs of the islanders - the current ones are at Tiadhe. For the tourists, important lines are the line 1 to Morro Jable to the south, the line 3 to the airport and to Las Salinas as well as the line 6 to Corralejo to the north.
The relatively small city centre sits between the port and the Avenida Constitución and is easy to explore on foot.
- 1 Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Rosario. A small church in the city centre.
- A few dozen sculptures are scattered in the city centre, in Calle León y Castillo, in the pedestrian zone Calle Primero del Mayo and along the promenade.
- Harbor promenade:
- 1 Playa Chica (just outside the city).
- Playa Blanca (between city and airport)
- Playa de Matorral (south of the airport)
- Playa de Layas and Playa de Barlovento (near Puerto Lajas north of the city)