Get in edit
By car edit
Puyallup can be reached by driving east from Tacoma on State Route 167, which is also known locally as River Road. This turns into a freeway heading north and provides a connection to Seattle and its nearer suburbs in King County. State Route 512 runs south through Puyallup and turns west to provide a link with other suburban communities in Pierce County, as well as a link with Interstate 5 to reach farther-flung destinations such as Olympia.
By train edit
1 Sound Transit (ST) Sounder operates commuter trains between Lakewood, South Tacoma (S 56th & S Tacoma Way); Tacoma, Puyallup, Sumner, Auburn, Kent, Tukwila, and Seattle King St Station. It goes northbound during weekday mornings and southbound on weekday afternoons/evenings and during the Seahwaks and Mariners home game days. Cross platform connections to Amtrak trains are Tacoma Freighthouse Square (Tacoma stop) and Seattle King Street Station.
By bus edit
Get around edit
Driving is the easiest method of seeing Puyallup. Meridian is the main surface street in the city, running from the Puyallup River through downtown Puyallup to the shopping hub of South Hill. Pioneer Avenue is the main east/west link, cutting through downtown and serving many of Puyallup's quiet residential neighborhoods.
By public transit edit
For those traveling without a car the following are available as public transportation to and around Puyallup. The transportation hubs (bus stations) in Puyallup are in 2 Puyallup (bus) Station at W Stewart & N Meridian, north of the tracks; 3 South Hill Transit Center along 39th Ave Sw, on the southside of the South Hill Mall; and 4 South Hill Park & Ride (P&R):
- Pierce Transit, ☏ . Operates local and regional public transit bus routes in Pierce County. Communities within the county served by this operator's routes include Fife, Gig Harbor, Lakewood, Puyallup, Steilacoom, Tacoma with the following serving Puyallup:
- 4 Connects Pierce College towards Lakewood Towncenter via South Hill Mall & Lakewood/SR-512 P&R. Travels along 112th St.
- 400 Connects South Hill P&R to Downtown Tacoma via South Hill Mall, Downtown Puyallup, Puyallup Station, Pioneer Way S (SR-167). Transfer to Greyhound is in Tacoma.
- 402 South Hill (171st St Ct E & S Meridian) to Federal Way along Meridian via South Hill Mall, Puyallup Station, and Milton.
- 409 Connects Puyallup (29th St NE & 5th Ave NE) to S 72nd St Transit Center in SE Tacoma along Pioneer Way & E 72nd St. It continues towards Lakewood from the S 72nd St Transit Center as the #202 bus.
- 425 Puyallup Connector. Local connections between South Hill and Puyallup Station via multiple turns to access local neighborhoods Pierce College.
- Sound Transit (ST), toll-free: . Sound Transit operates regional public transit routes including Sounder trains, Link light rail, and express bus in King County (e.g. Bellevue, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Seattle), Snohomish County (e.g. Everett, Lynnwood), and Pierce County (e.g. Puyallup, Tacoma). The following are Sound Transit routes to/from Puyallup.
- Weekday commuter rail service from Seattle and Lakewood via Tacoma on the Sounder S Line. ST Route 580 connects the Sounder S Line to South Hill P&R. This bus is timed with the train arrival and departure times.
- Express bus service from Seattle throughout the week via Sumner, Auburn, and Federal Way on Route 578. This is a faster way to get to/from Federal Way then with Pierce Transit's #402 bus. Passengers transfer to Rapid A or 574 bus in Federal Way to continue towards the airport.
Puyallup serves as a springboard to attractions outside of the city, with the preeminent draw for visitors being Mount Rainier National Park.
- Meeker Mansion. The historic residence of Puyallup's founding father, Ezra Meeker.
- Powerhouse Restaurant and Brewery, 454 E Main, ☏ . Open @ 11AM Daily. An old electric train power station converted into a Brew-pub. Great food, awesome brew, and great service are what await you at this unique dining experience
- Ram Restaurant & Brewery, 103 35th Ave SE, ☏ . Best sports bar in Puyallup and great beer.
- Bumpy's, 116 E Main Ave. Puyallup's best dive bar. Great prices
- Charlie's Restaurant & Lounge, 113 E Main. Karaoke Friday and Saturday, 9PM
- Motel Puyallup, 1412 S Meridian St.
- Holiday Inn Express, 812 South Hill Park Dr.
- Best Western Park Plaza, 620 South Hill Park Dr.
Go next edit
|Routes through Puyallup|
|END ← Tacoma ←||W N||→ Auburn → Renton|